heavyharmonies

And We're Off! The 2019 Heavy Harmonies Donation Drive

Not to make excuses, but everyone's situation is different. I went from a great full time job that after political season, went belly up. I was working full time and caring for my disabled father (who passed away last December). Now I'm the primary caregiver to my Mom, who's not in great health in her mid 70's. 

If I had even a little extra money (which I don't..... barely scraping by), I would love to donate. Just financially a bad nightmare right now.

At the point of doing a reverse mortgage on her home. All out of other options unfortunately.

I really do enjoy the site, although the quality/quantity of posters seems to have dwindled drastically over the last few years. I still prefer this tenfold over FB and The Melodic Mafia group.

Even last year we only had 100 people paying then.

I so love this site , our music and the positive things this site brings but I’m really disappointed with there being so few  people committed. Are we dinosaurs dying out? 

Just now, PeterS said:

Are we dinosaurs dying out? 

Yes

Yeah it's a shame more people weren't willing or couldn't donate,but could you not keep the widget open so people could donate throughout the year. I for one would be willing to drop you a few dollars every now and then rather than the once a year drive.

3 hours ago, Mr.AOR said:

Yeah it's a shame more people weren't willing or couldn't donate,but could you not keep the widget open so people could donate throughout the year. I for one would be willing to drop you a few dollars every now and then rather than the once a year drive.

I've been reluctant to do that in the past, as in theory if it's there year round it loses its impact, and people aren't necessarily motivated to donate. But if people aren't motivated to support the site now anyways, perhaps the downside risk isn't what it once was. I'll plan on giving that a try this year.

Dumb question, but why does the donation only have to be annual? 

Or for the small window of time anyways?

Just curious.

Because if there isn't an active request to donate, people just come to ignore the presence of donate buttons/widgets. The donate buttons stay up year-round on the main site... and rarely ever get used outside of the donation drive.

Also, I don't want to have that loud call to donate banner over on the main site year-round.

It's the same reason that PBS, Wikipedia, etc. have specific donation drive periods. Without those calls to donate, people never donate of their own volition. After all, everything on the Internet is free and doesn't cost anything, so why should people ever pay to support it?

The only viable way to keep money coming in regularly is to have a subscription model. However, I tried that early on (15 years ago maybe?) and it failed miserably. There just isn't enough exclusive content or features at HH that people are willing to pay a monthly or annual fee to get.

Also, I don't like the idea of gating certain data or functionality behind subscriptions. I don't like when I encounter that on other forums and websites, so I won't foist that upon the community at HH.

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 5:28 PM, heavyharmonies said:

You're right. I need to run a rebuild/recount and purge people that haven't been here in X years, or never completed registration, etc. I'm not 100% certain what gets included or excluded in that count.

UPDATE: Am purging user database now; will take several hours to run. The user records are hyper-inflated due to the way spammers and banned users were flagged/recorded in the old version of the forum software (3.x) versus the way they are stored in the current version (4.x).

Thanks ! I see the member total has now dropped considerably.

I was late to the party, but I did donate a bit.

52 minutes ago, nyoilers said:

Thanks ! I see the member total has now dropped considerably.

927 members still seems like a lot...can't be more than 50 who post on a regular basis...

15 minutes ago, Dead Planet said:

927 members still seems like a lot...can't be more than 50 who post on a regular basis...

That's true, but you don't just delete people's accounts left and right because they're not active and prefer to lurk.

I deleted all of the spammer accounts and people who have 0 posts but have not come here since 2016.

There is no "active member" status to be able to get an accurate gauge of who is actually posting. I suppose I could make a special group for people who have made at least 1 post on the board in the last year, but it would be a one-time thing, not something that people can automatically be added to or removed from... frankly I don't know that it's worth the hassle.

3 hours ago, jondavis said:

Am I the only one having trouble getting to the front page? 

heavyharmonies.com

Maybe I should of donated.

Yeah, I'm having the same trouble accessing the main site.

2 hours ago, Darkstone said:

Yeah, I'm having the same trouble accessing the main site.

Yep, cannot log in either.

Sorry folks, the host did a quick upgrade late yesterday that apparently has broken something. I've filed a ticket to have it looked at.

-Dan

Things should be running again. Let me know if anything goes wonky. Thanks. -Dan