heavyharmonies

And We're Off! The 2019 Heavy Harmonies Donation Drive

It's that time of the year again.

Time for me to beg like an annoying spouse (or ex-spouse) and get ya to pry open those wallets to chip in to cover Heavy Harmonies' expenses. Costs for the site run about $190 a month, up a little bit from last year.

So when I say "costs", what do I mean? It's the out-of-pocket expenses to keep Heavy Harmonies running: server lease, bandwidth, hosting support, and the subscription for this forum software.

Last year, the drive came up just shy of covering the annual costs, at 88%, on the heels of hitting 100% in 2017 for the first time ever.

The donation drive will run through April 30.

Anyone who makes a single donation of $20 or more and has a board username will be added to the group "2019 Donors". This gets you the following benefits:

• A nice shiny icon in your profile showing that you are an HH Donor for 2019: hh_supporter2019__donor.gif.62e4db840a8b
  • An increase in the size of your PM storage from 200 to 500 messages
  • Exempt from the search flood control (normally if you try and do a search more than every 20 seconds, you get an annoying little "please wait" message)
  • The ability to start threads in the sale forum.
  • No time limit on editing your own posts! This will especially be useful for those with trade/sale lists as you'll be able to edit them rather than posting revised versions.
  • A warm fuzzy feeling inside that you are helping support Heavy Harmonies!

If you donate $50 during the drive, either as a single donation or across multiple donations, you will be added to the group "2019 Gold Donors". This gets you the following in addition to the above:

• A bigger, fully animated shiny badge: HH2019-Gold-DonorsAnimated.gif.fbfe5f688
  • All your posts will be highlighted, because if you show this much dedication to HH, what you have to say is obviously more more important! (just kidding, but your posts will be accentuated).

In your donation, please put your board username in the notes section! Otherwise I have no way to tie your donation to your membership here on the board.

If you are currently in the 2018 donor groups but don't wish to donate this year (or can't), at the end of the donation drive, your group membership will revert to the regular non-donator membership group.

Membership in the 2019 Donors group will last until the end of next year's donation drive, at which point you can donate again to remain in the Donors group with the same benefits, or revert back to your current member group.

PayPal donation buttons are found at the top of all the pages on the main site and here on the forum on the right side at the top, or if you'd prefer to send a money order, check, or cash (not recommended, but I know some people prefer to do so), you can make payable to Dan Harding and send to:

Heavy Harmonies
P.O. Box 17158
Urbana, IL 61803
USA

If you can't give $20, give $10... if you can't give $10, give $5... it's just once a year.

(And if you happen to be fortunate enough to be earning 6 figures or more per year, please feel free to give gobs of cash! I'm not opposed to having a sugar daddy or seven :lol:)

As always, your support is greatly appreciated! :git::banger:

-Dan

Happy to do it mate. Big thanks to you and the other guys that help you run the site.

Always happy to support the only decent forum on the net....:drink:

Warm fuzzy feeling bought. I wonder how many lifetimes I'd have to go through to get to 500 messages. 

Done

That's me added  :)

Done, keep up the good work!

2 weeks in, or roughly 1/3 of the way through, and we're at 29% of goal. Thank you to everyone who has donated!

-Dan

Well, we're half way through the donation drive and at 33% of goal. In contrast, last year at this point we were at 46% of goal, and the year before over 50%, so things are down a bit.

I really don't feel like begging/pleading this year, so I'll just say thank you to everyone who has donated so far. I appreciate your support.

-Dan

It's a pitiful display so far this year. Hopefully there'll be a late surge. 

How are we doing as a community? Have we just lost posters in the last year? 

It's weird. The overall donation drive trend has been upward in recent years, but this year out of nowhere it just fell off a cliff.

Main site traffic has been trending downwards over the last decade, for any number of reasons: not mobile friendly, which affects Google traffic, melodic rock/80s rock no longer mainstream (but that's nothing new), CD collecting as a hobby really going by the wayside... but traffic isn't down drastically in the last year.

As we age, I think people's interests and priorities change, but by the same token, as people age they tend to become more affluent (which I think is why donations were way up the last 3 years), so those tend to balance out, but no clue what happened this year.

I deal with event registrations for my day job, and there can be aberrations year over year, even for the same events, so this may just be a one-year blip... at least that's my hope. :)

One week left in the 2019 annual Heavy Harmonies donation drive, and unfortunately the results are sadly disappointing. Only 42% of goal, meaning the drive hasn't even raised enough to cover 6 months of site costs.

It's looking to be the lowest donation drive since I started running it in 2011... by a large margin.

Thank you to those who have donated; it's appreciated more than ever.

-Dan

"I want you to reach deep into your hearts and your pocketbooks..."

"Please stand and open your bibles to the book of Kissin' Dynamite 1:14... mind the offertory as it passes among thee. Give unto Heavy Harmonies as it were entry unto Heaven. Now let us sing from the hymnal: Running Wild, Running Free. Amen."

I'm not sure if this is new or not but it might make a small difference that the amount someone can donate is restricted to $5, 10, 20, or $50. It's a bit of a jump from 20 to 50. If there was a way to put in your own amount, then you might get a few more bucks here or there. For example, someone might want to donate $30 but can't afford the $50 so they settle for giving you $20. Just a thought.

Unfortunately, I don't have an easy way to make it a custom donation amount. If someone wants to donate $30, they can always make two donations, one for $20 and one for $10.

Hello Dan, donation sent, sorry for late payment,

been busy now and not so active anymore, but will try to drop by once in a while :D

Cheers and thanks for keeping this up

And that's all she wrote. We ended up at 52% of goal, which sadly is down approximately 40% from just last year. I don't know what happened within the last 12 months to cause such a downturn... unless people are just tired of being asked to support the site year after year.

My thanks to everyone who supported Heavy Harmonies during the drive. I'll keep the donation widget up for a few days just in case there are any stragglers.

-Dan

A lot of people get a lot of enjoyment from this site on a daily basis. You only ask for help once a year. 52% is a joke. 

How many people supported in comparison to last year ? 

I know there’s a feeling things on the Internet should be free. Then a shock when people finally work out they are the product . This little place is different . It’s a bunch of almost certainly extremely good looking fans of a niche music genre. Many of us here for a decade , or two in some cases. Has to be worth a little dip in the pocket once a year? 

I would like to see the total number of members changed to be more accurate.Because if you do the math if every member ,which totals 8,780, gave 25 cents then this site would be 100% financed.

2 hours ago, PeterS said:

How many people supported in comparison to last year ? 

59 donations this year. 100 donations last year. 

2 hours ago, nyoilers said:

I would like to see the total number of members changed to be more accurate.Because if you do the math if every member ,which totals 8,780, gave 25 cents then this site would be 100% financed.

You're right. I need to run a rebuild/recount and purge people that haven't been here in X years, or never completed registration, etc. I'm not 100% certain what gets included or excluded in that count.

UPDATE: Am purging user database now; will take several hours to run. The user records are hyper-inflated due to the way spammers and banned users were flagged/recorded in the old version of the forum software (3.x) versus the way they are stored in the current version (4.x).