Your Favorite Band - Rank their albums - Rank their songs

whiplash1972

10 hours ago, Glen said:

die off hard

zomfg, how the hell did I miss that one in my list??? I'll review that, but put that one at 5th or 6th spot in my list. A definite unintended oversight. 

Original post amended. 

Edited by Geoff
Amended original list

• 2023 Gold Donors
On 2/15/2019 at 9:55 PM, Geoff said:

I'll try to do mine soon, but also the ones people post too, because I love fun. Can't do Cauterize, or Kane Roberts due to small discographies and/or lack of interest (in Cauterize, lol) 

You should do a Cauterize one. I'm not very familiar with them and it would be good to get a run down from a fan. That's what this thread is all about at the end of the day.  Hey, at the very least it would make great comedy fodder for Glen.    :D

8 hours ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

Oh, guys, "Wishing" has got to be in the top twenty HS songs. 

'Wishing' is superb but Harem Scarem aren't my (probably realistically) second favourite band of all time for no reason. Probably, literally, the top 50 songs or so would all be amazing... 'Wishing' included. There's a banquet of awesome songs I had to exclude to make a list of 20. ;)

5 hours ago, Darkstone said:

You should do a Cauterize one. I'm not very familiar with them and it would be good to get a run down from a fan. That's what this thread is all about at the end of the day.  Hey, at the very least it would make great comedy fodder for Glen.    :D

Well, if you know me at all you'll know that you sure as heck don't need to twist my arm to get this out of me. Thanks for asking. So here it is, my actual favourite band of all time. ;)

Albums;

1. So Far From Real

2. Disguises

3. Paper Wings

4. The Moment I Cauterize (recorded under the band name T.O.E.)

(for anyone unknowing, 'Paper Wings' was independently released in 2005 and then the same album was re-recorded in 2007 as 'Disguises' on a very minor label with four new songs, and minus four songs from 'Paper Wings.')

Songs;

(Now this part is genuinely impossible because I give 14 Cauterize songs a 10/10, so putting some kind of order into perfection is tricky, but I'll sure as heck give it a go);

1. Porcelain

2. Killing Me

3. Something Beautiful

4. My Everything

5. I'll Cry Tomorrow

6. Taste Of Tears

7. Choke

8. Shine

9. Why This Last Dance

10. Still Breathing

11. Tremble

12. Closer

13. Dare You To Scream

14. Miracles Or Medicine

15. If You Go

16. Promise Me

17. Shooting Stars

18. Wake To The Sun

19. My Favorite Patient

20. Don't Stop Now

21. The Devil In Lace

17 hours ago, lettard said:

Def Leppard for me,I know they haven't been a force release wise for quite a while but when they were in my early/late teens they just grabbed hold of me and took their place as my favourite band.

01.Hysteria
02.Pyromania
03.High 'n Dry
04.Adrenalize
05.RetroActive
06.On Through The Night
07.Def Leppard
08.Slang
09.Euphroia
10.X (funnily enough)
11.Songs From The Sparkle Lounge
12.Yeah

Interested to do a Def Leppard one too, as I too am quite a fan. 

Albums;

1. Hysteria

2. Retroactive

3. Pyromania

4. Adrenalize

5. X

6. Euphoria

7. High N' Dry

8. Slang

9. Def Leppard

10. Sparkle Lounge

11. Yeah

12. On Through The Night

Songs;

1. Guilty

2. Hysteria 

3. Torn to Shreds  

4. Love Bites 

5. Promises  

6. Miss You In A Heartbeat

7. Have You Ever Needed Someone So Bad

8. Goodbye 

9. When Love And Hate Collide

10. Photograph 

11. Too Late for Love 

12. Foolin' 

13. Love and Affection 

14. Two Steps Behind

15. To Be Alive  

16. Animal 

17. Gods of War 

18. Stand Up (Kick Love Into Motion) 

19. Bringin' on the Heartbreak  

20. Comin' Under Fire 

21. Heaven Is 

22. She's Too Tough 

23. Ring of Fire 

24. All I Want is Everything 

25. Unbelievable  

26. Everyday  

27. Long, Long Way to Go  

44 minutes ago, Gotthardline said:

Can't believe love reaction isn't on those Harem Scarem lists

I think it's just true what Geoff said. Probably the top 50 HS songs are all 9+ out of 10 & any could interchange with each other on any given day. 

16 hours ago, Geoff said:

zomfg, how the hell did I miss that one in my list??? I'll review that, but put that one at 5th or 6th spot in my list. A definite unintended oversight. 

Original post amended. 

Born to be a Rebel should also definitely be in there. 

I completely forgot that - easy top 10 song for me 

15 hours ago, Glen said:

Born to be a Rebel should also definitely be in there. 

I completely forgot that - easy top 10 song for me 

That's a great song too, but not sure I have a top notch well produced version of that one... just an average demo, I think. 'Die off hard' is actually one of my all-time faves and I saw the error in my archives was a simple typo. Silly, but an actual error on my behalf. 

Regarding 'Love Reaction' - it's a good song and one that has history for me too. I remember reading a review for the debut Harem Scarem album in a magazine for years; can't believe I forget the name now. Metal something (not Edge - it was a UK magazine). But I'd read the review so much in anticipation of finally getting the CD, and the reviewer there was wild about 'Love Reaction' and it was his pick from the album. So in the lead up I was so focused on that song and waiting for it as I played it for the first time when I eventually got it. Gotta admit, I was a bit underwhelmed. It is another of their massive banquet of awesome songs... but it's not up to top of the list for me for sure. ;) Arguably my least favourite on the sensational debut, to be honest. 

1 minute ago, Geoff said:

That's a great song too, but not sure I have a top notch well produced version of that one... just an average demo, I think. 'Die off hard' is actually one of my all-time faves and I saw the error in my archives was a simple typo. Silly, but an actual error on my behalf. 

Regarding 'Love Reaction' - it's a good song and one that has history for me too. I remember reading a review for the debut Harem Scarem album in a magazine for years; can't believe I forget the name now. Metal something (not Edge - it was a UK magazine). But I'd read the review so much in anticipation of finally getting the CD, and the reviewer there was wild about 'Love Reaction' and it was his pick from the album. So in the lead up I was so focused on that song and waiting for it as I played it for the first time when I eventually got it. Gotta admit, I was a bit underwhelmed. It is another of their massive banquet of awesome songs... but it's not up to top of the list for me for sure. ;) Arguably my least favourite on the sensational debut, to be honest. 

I have BTBAR on an AOR treasures album. MP3 only. But it is v good quality.

Brilliant chorus - one their best.

I think White Widdow covered it as well on their Crossfire album (obviously not as good) 

On 2/17/2019 at 11:13 AM, Gotthardline said:

Can't believe love reaction isn't on those Harem Scarem lists

Love Reaction is the only track on the debut that I would not give it a 10, still a great tune, but the other 9 are all better.

Can't think of any of favorite bands who've released over 5 albums that haven't released at least on bad album. 

Danger Danger - Dawn

Dokken - Shadowlife

Dream Theater - The Astonishing....ly fucking brutal release

Van Halen - III and for the most part Diver Down

Harem Scarem - Hope and Voice Of Reason...I honestly can't listen to either

Lillian Axe - pretty much everything after Psycho...

The only band that comes to mind to have released at least 5 albums, that are HH material and none have been poor or bad is likely H.E.A.T. although I've enjoyed some much more than others. 

42 minutes ago, zacharyamelie said:

Can't think of any of favorite bands who've released over 5 albums that haven't released at least on bad album. 

Danger Danger - Dawn

Dokken - Shadowlife

Van Halen - III and for the most part Diver Down

Harem Scarem - Hope and Voice Of Reason...I honestly can't listen to either

Lillian Axe - pretty much everything after Psycho...

The only band that comes to mind to have released at least 5 albums, that are HH material and none have been poor or bad is likely H.E.A.T. although I've enjoyed some much more than others. 

Vega, Crazy Lixx, HEAT, Degreed (this year will hit 5 winners ;) ), ditto for Eclipse...no 5 this year will no doubt be great (I don't include their first 2 as they certainly hate them and they are never being recognised, played live or 're recorded)

But I agree every band from yesteryear has at one stinker in their history (although I can listen to Hope & VOR they are definitely weaker) 

TNT has been my favorite since the mid 80's, but I'll admit after their last few releases I've considered dropping them from my top spot.  Many of the bands mentioned are some of my other favorites, so I'll share my rankings on a few

TNT (top 4 are in my all time top 100 albums, but I'd suggest avoiding #"s 11, 12 and 13):

1. Realized Fantasies
  2. Tell No Tales
  3. Intuition
  4. My Religion
  5. Knights of the New Thunder
  6. Transistor
  7. All The Way to the Sun
  8. Firefly
  9. A Farewell to Arms
  10. XIII
  11. S/T
  12. Atlantis
  13. The New Territory

Dokken:

1. Tooth And Nail
  2. Under Lock and Key
  3. Back For the Attack
  4. Up From the Ashes
  5. Erase the Slate 
  6. Dysfunctional  
  7. Lightning Strikes Again
  8. Hell to Pay 
  9. Broken Bones
  10. Breaking the Chains
  11. Long Way Home
  12. Shadowlife

Def Leppard:

1. Pyromania
  2. High ‘n Dry
  3. Hysteria
  4. Adrenalize
  5. Retro-Active
  6. On Through the Night
  7. Euphoria
  8. S/T
  9. Slang
  10. X
  11. Songs From the Sparkle Lounge
  12. Yeah!

Harem Scarem:

1. Mood Swings
  2. S/T
  3. The Early Years
  4. Weight Of The World
  5. Voice Of Reason
  6. United
  7. Higher
  8. Believe
  9. Human Nature
  10. Big Bang Theory
  11. Thirteen
  12. Overload
  13. Hope
Edited by Crazysam

On 2/15/2019 at 7:04 PM, Darkstone said:

Lynch Mob for me. I'll just rank the studio albums. No live albums or EPs. Funnily enough my list is in order of release except for "Smoke This" which is an abomination. As big a fan as I am, I can acknowledge that they've never really matched the first two albums. As for songs, that's too hard for me to decide an order so I'll just mention my favourite,  "Hell Child".

Wicked Sensation

Lynch Mob

REvolution

Smoke and Mirrors

Sun Red Sun

Rebel

The Brotherhood

Smoke This

My ranking of Lynch Mob albums would be virtually identical except put The Brotherhood between Revolution and Smoke & Mirrors. 

My favorite Lynch Mob song? The Secret  :headbanger:

Loving these lists!  :tumbsup:

My Def Leppard rankings...

1. Hysteria  (Honestly, you could flip flop 1 & 2 depending upon the day of the week; love em both!)

2. Pyromania   

3. High N' Dry

4. Adrenalize 

5. X

6. Euphoria

7. Retroactive

8. Slang

9. On Through The Night Def Leppard

10. Sparkle Lounge

11. Def Leppard 

12. Yeah

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Crue rankings...

1. Dr. Feelgood   

2, Shout At The Devil

3. MC94

4. Girls Girls Girls

5. Saints Of Los Angeles

6. Too Fast For Love

7. New Tattoo

8. Theater Of Pain

9. Generation Swine

I ll do Def Leppard.

Albums - 

Hysteria

Adrenalize

Pyromania

Retroactive

Euphoria

X

High n Dry

Slang

Def Leppard

Songs From The Sparkle Lounge

On Through The Night

Songs - 

Photograph

Stand Up (Kick Love Into Motion)

Guilty

Gods Of War

Have You Ever Needed Someone So Bad

Women

When Love And Hate Collide

Stagefright

Armageddon It

Torn To Shreds

Ring Of Fire

Love And Affection

Tomorrow

Miss You In A Heartbeat

Animal

Tonight

Promises

Love Bites

Hysteria

Heaven Is

Unbelievable

• 2023 Gold Donors
2 hours ago, whiplash1972 said:

My ranking of Lynch Mob albums would be virtually identical except put The Brotherhood between Revolution and Smoke & Mirrors. 

My favorite Lynch Mob song? The Secret  :headbanger:

"The Secret" is killer as well, in fact I could probably alternate my favorite from any track off the first two albums on any given day. "When Darkness Calls" is also a huge favorite. 

16 hours ago, Glen said:

Vega, Crazy Lixx, HEAT, Degreed (this year will hit 5 winners ;) ), ditto for Eclipse...no 5 this year will no doubt be great (I don't include their first 2 as they certainly hate them and they are never being recognised, played live or 're recorded)

But I agree every band from yesteryear has at one stinker in their history (although I can listen to Hope & VOR they are definitely weaker) 

Current bands definitely generally have stronger discographies because there has been no 1994-1999 grunge-influenced vortex that sucked almost every band into it. 

Slaughter don't really have a stinker of an album; if I try to pick one five album-plus band from yesteryear. Tesla only just ruined their awesome record with the last release. 

Anyway, surprised people allegedly hate 'Hope' from HS so much. It's got three albums below it on my HS list. For me, the only significantly poor HS album is 'VOR.' Still has some great songs, though. 

I'll take a wee go at Crue also

01.Dr.Feelgood

02.Girls,Girls,Girls

03.Threatre Of Pain

04.Shout At The Devil

05.Saints Of Los Angeles

06.Too Fast For Love

07.Motley Crue

08.New Tattoo

09.Generation Swine

On 2/18/2019 at 7:49 PM, zacharyamelie said:

What an astonishing way to spoil a flawless discography, lol!   And this, imo, leaves  only Fates Warning and Katatonia with  flawless discographies thus far. 

• 2 years later...

I really enjoyed this thread, so I thought I'd pull it out of the mothballs... :drink: 

Y&T rank as my third favorite band of all time, so I thought I'd give their discography a go.

Studio albums:

01.  In Rock We Trust - I preferred the band's sound during the mid 80s, and IRWT, DFTC, and Contagious are all EXCELLENT!
02. Down For the Count 
03. Contagious - Features one of my all time fave songs, "Eyes of a Stranger"
04. Ten - "City" is such an underrated song from this one
05. Black Tiger - My favorite out of the Y&T trifecta (Earthshaker, Black Tiger, Mean Streak)
06. Earthshaker - Alot of old timers would probably scream blasphemy having this one at #6, but Y&T's discography is so good that their #6 for me is alot better than most band's best albums! 
07. Mean Streak
08. Facemelter - Amazing comeback for the band with 13 years since their last regular studio release
 9.  UnEarthed Vol. 1 - Y&T's leftovers and demos are better than many band's standard releases! 
10. UnEarthed Vol. 2
11. Musically Incorrect - Their mid 90s releases weren't bad, they just don't match up to their previous output
12. Endangered Species
13. Acoustic Classix Vol. 1 
14. Struck Down - Those first two releases were a band perfecting their hard rock sound; not bad, but I don't play these much
15. Yesterday & Today

The live discs:

1. Open Fire (Live!)  <----- Classic live release!      :banger: 
2. Yesterday & Today Live
3. Live One Hot Night
4. Live on the Friday Rock Show
5. Live at the Mystic 

The Songs:

My favorites from each release in chronological order

Struck Down
Dirty Girl
Rescue Me