Best of 2018 lists posted!

heavyharmonies

https://heavyharmonies.com/cgi-bin/2018best.cgi

Debate. Argue. Criticize. :lol:

Once again, thanks to Mike, Pete, Jez, and Terry for putting together these lists and for the other work they do volunteering for the site!

-Dan

Well I came across a few that I missed out on over the year...

Meliah Rage

Kobra & The Lotus

Dream Child

But the biggest miss was ..... Lesbian Bed Death....and no I'm not joking, sounds great and I now need to track down their older releases as well as the latest....can't find a thread on them so here is a song from their latest...

Mike got a bit wrong in the Roxanne comments. Man In The Moon was covered by the Scream, Roxanne wrote it.

Fun to read through lists, but that's all they are.
Picked up a few new bands to test out based on the comments.

20 minutes ago, CureTheSane said:

Mike got a bit wrong in the Roxanne comments. Man In The Moon was covered by the Scream, Roxanne wrote it.

Not exactly. John Corabi,  Bruce Bouillet, and John Alderete, all members of The Scream, are credited as writers on "Man in the Moon"; Jamie Brown is the only member of Roxanne credited on the song. The Scream released their version 27 years earlier... they did not cover it. 

40 minutes ago, whiplash1972 said:

Not exactly. John Corabi,  Bruce Bouillet, and John Alderete, all members of The Scream, are credited as writers on "Man in the Moon"; Jamie Brown is the only member of Roxanne credited on the song. The Scream released their version 27 years earlier... they did not cover it. 

Fair enough.

I read in an interview with Jamie Brown that they wrote it and gave it to The Scream or something like that.

Bit ambiguous, a quick Google search brings up

Robert Cavuoto: Does the CD have material written 30 years ago?

Jamie Brown: There are two songs on the record that were written 30 years ago which we originally intended for them to be on Roxanne II; they were “Man on the Moon,” and “Quarter to Four.” Everything else is brand new and written just for this record. We didn’t know if those two songs were going to fit, then when we were finished writing the other material, we felt they worked.

Well, usually I crown a winner each year, but sadly there can be none this year, lol. You're all miles off the mark!! ;)

Thanks for the lists, though, one and all... always an interesting read. 

Sadly for Pete, the main thing that sticks out after reading all that is Vega's album featuring great production. Whatnowman?!!!

The only top 5 spot I shared with anyone was Care Of Night with Dan... but sadly listing Dynazty at number one nullifies any right to be declared the winner, lol. ;)

As far as number ones go, my favourite of the lot was Vega, but it's easily their worst album, imo, and sounds like a slapped ballsack, so I'd almost give Mike the tick for most interesting number one, as that is an interesting album. Sadly, doesn't really do it for me - but it's an interesting release that I can see being worthy of attention... just not from me. :)

Anyway, thanks for the lists and interesting as always. A few things to check out, most noteably the De-Arrow album that was allegedly released which I had no idea about. I hope it's not just raw as ass demos, but I'm really looking forward to hearing it. Amazed I haven't seen anything on it. 

First time that I don't have any of the 25 recommended albums in my list. The closest was Tony Mitchell, but I only like the first 8 songs (+ the Japanese bonus). I cannot listen to the rest (just another nail in the casket of how cds killed quality music, lol). 

11 hours ago, CureTheSane said:

Fair enough.

I read in an interview with Jamie Brown that they wrote it and gave it to The Scream or something like that.

Bit ambiguous, a quick Google search brings up

Robert Cavuoto: Does the CD have material written 30 years ago?

Jamie Brown: There are two songs on the record that were written 30 years ago which we originally intended for them to be on Roxanne II; they were “Man on the Moon,” and “Quarter to Four.” Everything else is brand new and written just for this record. We didn’t know if those two songs were going to fit, then when we were finished writing the other material, we felt they worked.

hard to know for sure, but sounds like one of those situations were one artist had a song which they offered to another and some changes were made to allow co-write credits, makes sense if what Doggy mentioned is correct about Scott Travis.  Scott was in Racer X with Bruce and John Alderete, so if Jamie and Scott originally wrote it that relationship likely lead to it being offered to the Scream who changed it up a bit for their album

Evidently not a lot of effort went into these lists according to a couple of idiots over at MR .com  (they hadn’t even bothered to scroll down and read all of the it before criticizing). A bit of a smack in the chops when you’ve spent nearly 4 weeks on and off compiling and presenting your list and put a lot of effort into it. Fucking ungrates .

Well, in all fairness it's primarily one particular nozzle that I could see. The rest of the community over there seemed to support the effort put into the lists.

Any time you have communities catering to the same topic, you will have those stalwart defenders that will always try to tear down "the other site" no matter what, and the community there has a tendency to get hyper-defensive at times. It's the major reason I rarely participate in the forum there.

They're entitled to their opinion. It's not a big deal IMO.

-Dan

Yeah, you've got a point..still no need for it though imo.  I very rarely post there either for the same reasons 

Makes me want to go there and read about what they are saying. Course I have no idea what site your all on about so I guess I won't..

As for the lists, I love it and it shows the diverse group here and even when we all don't "see it" we still are open to giving something a go.

For mine anyone that knows me and my lists knows I only put the albums in there that are in my hands and that I have physically spun (one exception this year and that's that Love Stallions, well and that Barbaarossastrasse, but it was on its way and the band sent some great mp3's). AND of course I lean hard left to the bands that are getting little to no play or notice. I go deep dark web to find these guys and yes some are not liked but every so often you get a Lesbian Bed Death and a member or 2 get a chubby (literally in the case of this band) and get after their wares.

And DP I didn't start a thread on them, I forgot as I posted their cover of the Lizzy Borden song in a LIzzy thread and then went on to something else, fun band though.

I appreciate reading all the lists I can....always helps me find people with similar tastes and maybe discover some music I was unaware of.  I've discovered a lot of music in recent  years solely because somebody else shared something or I saw somebody else talking about it and checked it out.

It's pretty obvious that a lot of time went into those lists and there is a whole bunch of stuff on those lists I haven't even got around to checking out.  Love digging into lists like that to find a hidden gem I missed.

5 hours ago, Glen said:

Daredevil & Troy (and a few others) are opinionated wankers. I never post there. 

Haha, yeah just had a look over there and it did only appear to be those two posters. Pretty embarrassing to make incorrect comments about something you obviously haven't even read through properly. In defence of everyone else there, though, they all seem appreciative, as Dan also indicates. :)

• My Little Pony

I couldn't bother being a member of another music forum site. There are enough opinionated wankers to deal with over here. ;}

1 hour ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

I couldn't bother being a member of another music forum site. There are enough opinionated wankers to deal with over here. ;}

don't talk about Geoff like that ;)

1 hour ago, Glen said:

don't talk about Geoff like that ;)

I believe he was referencing himself? 

I don't offer opinions... just facts. ;)