Stefan

Hardline - Life

On 5/15/2019 at 6:18 PM, Tabe said:

I think this album is alright but none of the tracks really stand out to me.  Pretty much every album before this has had one or more tracks that I thought were killed.  Not so much with this one.  And I *really* don't get the pre-release hype comparing this to "Double Eclipse".  It's not even in the same stratosphere in terms of quality or the sound.

They're never making an album of that caliber again. Full stop. Nice try by whoever said that but that iteration of Hardline is loooooooong gone.

For sure.  Johnny's brother, Neal Schon, and Deen Castronovo are all gone.  No disrespect to anybody who has joined since then but...you're not replacing Schon & Castronovo.  You're just not.

On 5/13/2019 at 5:08 PM, PeterS said:

I've listened a few times and don't remember a single song. It's just got nothing that pulls you in despite not having anything terrible on it. 

Pretty much sums it up. Not a bad album, but in the current era where songs matter for a worthy 2019 playlist, no keepers here. :(

13 hours ago, Geoff said:

Pretty much sums it up. Not a bad album, but in the current era where songs matter for a worthy 2019 playlist, no keepers here. :(

I like a good handful of songs off of this
Handful Of Sand
Story Of My Life
A Place Call Home
Take A Chance
Out Of Time
Hold On To Right

On 5/18/2019 at 1:54 AM, Tabe said:

For sure.  Johnny's brother, Neal Schon, and Deen Castronovo are all gone.  No disrespect to anybody who has joined since then but...you're not replacing Schon & Castronovo.  You're just not.

Finally. someone else gets it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gener8tr said:

Finally. someone else gets it.

I think we all got that the moment they released anything that was not their debut. ;)

I still think this latest album is an improvement over the last 2 but Del Vecchio's overall influence is still evident on this album. Despite what Johnny says in interviews that he's heavily involved with a lot of the writing process, it appears to me that the majority of the heavy writing is still done by Del Vecchio.  Del Vecchio's writing and production is not bad per se, it's just very safe as he tends to use the same song structures in all the songs he writes. There's nothing truly original there. Perhaps it's because he's involved in too many projects. Also, I had high hopes with the addition of the new guitarist on this latest Hardline album, but none of his solos on the album really stand out to me. 

Meanwhile, Neal Schon released a lovely cover of Prince's Purple Rain. I miss this type of melodic guitar playing on a Hardline album.