tts42572

Tesla - Shock

On 2/9/2019 at 9:00 AM, lecko said:

I agree that song are fine and even growers, but they are not very Tesla lilke. After reading latest interviews Tesla had no plans for any new music and it was actuallly Phil who motivated them and reall wanted to produce them . So I say even leppardized Tesal is bettar than no new Tesla.  " Frank said: "Phil came to us and wanted to produce an album for us... Phil really, really helped us. I'll be honest — we were at a low point after we did [2014's] 'Simplicity'. We were really frustrated, and we were probably not going to make another album. Phil had a bunch of song ideas, and a lot of the writing on the new album is co-written with Phil. He interjected a lot of positive energy for us and helped us get back on our feet. .."

Very interesting. 'Simplicity' was no doubt a lowlight in a wonderful discography. 

I also agree that this is possibly better than nothing, but I do have to agree with all that it doesn't sound much like Tesla at all. I assume there will be good songs on it... but these won't be the better ones... I hope. 

Another song released.

Probably my least favorite of the 3 so far.  Seems like a poor outtake of Kid Rocks All Summer Long song. 

I actually don't hate it as much as I probably should lol.  Hopefully it was just something that was different than everything on the album so that's why they chose to release it.  Not sure what kind of fan this is aimed at though. 

Terrible.

Hmmm...its pissing down here...so summer is a longs ways off :crying:

Found this song on YT that they've been playing live....You Won't Take Me Alive.  Now this sounds more like it to my ears even with bad quality.  Not sure why they wouldn't release this as a single instead of this California Summer Song.  I'd think this is closer to what people want Tesla to sound like than the song above.  

Had luck that one of the rare shops already here had Cd on the shelf. So I listened it once. Now I am big Tesla fan and I liked all of their albums, including Simplicity.  I struggled a bit with first 3 releases songs online and only after 10 or more spins  I like them much more.    After listening to all songs, besides great production the star of the show is Jeff Keith, especially in the slower songs and ballads. He sings especially the verses very unique , well produced voice and he shows some colours in his voice I didnt heared before. The choruses are all over the place, actually I expected more songs to have big, Leppard like arangments but there are not that many. Some are catch after first listen, but choruses in couple of songs sound without immediate hooks. Another common theme is that songs are quite short for Tesla album . There are also longer solos . some acoustic, some more in bluesy/rock way but maybe not in Tesla style like Son gin Emotrion or Shine away instiurmental part. Of course more to be discovered in further listens.

For me good music is good music.

I don't mind if Tesla sound like ACDC so long as they sound like 'good ACDC'

Much prefer great Def Lep Tesla than average Tesla Tesla

I'm also a Frank Hannon solo fan so hopefully the description above with 'more solos, some acoustic' has an element of his solo stuff in them

11 hours ago, CureTheSane said:

For me good music is good music.

I don't mind if Tesla sound like ACDC so long as they sound like 'good ACDC'

Much prefer great Def Lep Tesla than average Tesla Tesla

I'm also a Frank Hannon solo fan so hopefully the description above with 'more solos, some acoustic' has an element of his solo stuff in them

Agree 100%.  For me, this "Def Lep" Tesla album is much more interesting and sounds much better than the past few Tesla albums.  To my ears this is the best Tesla has sounded in quite some time.  Just a lot of stuff going on with a big sound.....and Jeff Keith really sounds great IMO.

I'm liking this album.  My only real complaint is just that I think it loses steam in the middle with the run of slower tempo songs.  But it does pick back up again and finishes pretty strong.  

My favorites are probably You Won't Take Me Alive, Taste Like and Tied To The Tracks.

Definitely a little different but something to hold me over a bit until Crazy Lixx comes out :)

I'm ok with Phil bringing in some layered vocals and production effects that remind of Leppard's sound, but for me the song quality isn't at the same level of great Def Leppard or great Tesla.  That said, I did give a listen today and think it is a solid album.  There were 3 or 4 songs that made me think I was hearing a leftover song idea from the Adrenalize or Euphoria sessions but a few tracks do have a more familiar Tesla vibe to them.  I did find it far more melodic and consistent than Simplicity and I might even give it a slight edge over Forever More, but I would rank it below the rest of Tesla's discography.

Edited by Crazysam

Enjoying this one also,dont mind the leppardisms at all,better than Simplicity(was that in doubt?) and as Crazysam pointed out may just shade Forever More,an enjoyable listen thus far  :) and yes Jeff Keith sounds great as always.

I thought for sure "Save that Goodness' from MR Live would have made this release.  

10 hours ago, tts42572 said:

Agree 100%.  For me, this "Def Lep" Tesla album is much more interesting and sounds much better than the past few Tesla albums.  To my ears this is the best Tesla has sounded in quite some time.  Just a lot of stuff going on with a big sound.....and Jeff Keith really sounds great IMO.

I'm liking this album.  My only real complaint is just that I think it loses steam in the middle with the run of slower tempo songs.  But it does pick back up again and finishes pretty strong.  

My favorites are probably You Won't Take Me Alive, Taste Like and Tied To The Tracks.

Definitely a little different but something to hold me over a bit until Crazy Lixx comes out :)

I've always enjoyed all Tesla albums, and enjoy the slower songs mostly so this should be a good one for me.
I've I get a break from work I may try and grab me a copy soon.
Haven't even been to the shops for 2 weeks.