Midnite City 2

The Rocker

51 minutes ago, Glen said:

wrong.

The hooks on the new album are bigger. Why? Cos I can actually remember the songs after about 3 listens.

I still can't remember the songs off the debut and I've owned it for months.

Love both but the new album is more memorable imo. 

songs like gave up giving up just won't leave my head. 

I do feel like the songs have bigger hooks and are a bit more memorable....Especially in the second half compared to the second half of the first album.  Although, I never had any issue remembering the songs on the first album :lol:

Basically, I feel like the first halves are about the same....Both fantastic!  I think I like the second half of the new album a tiny bit better than the first though.  Gave Up Giving Up is great, really like Until The End and the heavier vibe of Takes One To Know One too.  And depending on if you consider Tonight You're All I Need to be in the second half, absolutely love that tune.  And the ballad Heaven's Falling is excellent too.

For me right now, the only song not overly striking me is probably We're Gonna Make It.  I think part of that though might be that it's stuffed between two of my favorite songs on the album with Life Ain't Like This On The Radio and Tonight You're All I Need.  It's not a bad tune by any means though and might grow on me.....Just getting overshadowed at the moment.

Either way, both fantastic albums.  Their debut was my favorite album last year and feeling like this will probably be my favorite this year.  These guys are crafting some good, fun melodic rock tunes and putting out the kind of albums that Poison or Firehouse should be putting out IMO.

1 hour ago, Glen said:

wrong.

The hooks on the new album are bigger. Why? Cos I can actually remember the songs after about 3 listens.

To each their own, but I disagree. Hooks were more obvious on the debut, to the point that the second time I played the album I remembered nearly every song and was even singing along to a chorus here and there. The second album is taking longer to get that kind of recognition.

Both albums are fantastic but I prefer the debut so far. Have listened to the new one about 5,6 times and i think few songs won't get much play time in the coming days. My favourites are 'Give me love', 'You don't understand me', 'Until the end' and 'Tonight you are all I need'. As much as I love these songs I love my favourite songs from their debut album more. I still listen to 'Think about you', 'Things she said', 'Nothings like losing you', and  'Ghost of my old friends' to this day. For me, little things like the last part on songs 'Things She Said' and 'Nothings Like Losing You' or the way these songs end, I find it immensely catchy. It just elevates the song even more. The same structure is heard on 'Tonight you re all I need' but I prefer the other two. So ya, that sort of thing is missing on the new album. Just a small example.

Production wise, this new album is better than the debut.  

Again, it's just personal preferences. And it's still early days. Who knows..might love the album more in coming days/weeks. But as of today, it's their debut album.

11 hours ago, Glen said:

ones 85%, ones 84% 

;)

You get my point yeah.

Pointless discussion going on. 

A pointless discussion you initiated by saying the songs on the debut were not memorable. ;) I think you're the only one what wasn't singing along to the album by the second time they spun it. :) Catchy as all heck to me. 'Nothing's Like Losing You' is possibly the most catchy/memorable song I've heard in the last five years or so. Or one of them, at least. ;)

Not sure how a forgettable album can rate 84% either... just out of curiosity. 

Creep. ;)

Just now, Geoff said:

A pointless discussion you initiated by saying the songs on the debut were not memorable. ;) I think you're the only one what wasn't singing along to the album by the second time they spun it. :) Catchy as all heck to me. 'Nothing's Like Losing You' is possibly the most catchy/memorable song I've heard in the last five years or so. Or one of them, at least. ;)

Not sure how a forgettable album can rate 84% either... just out of curiosity. 

Creep. ;)

you're missing my point.

I love both albums. The debut is easily in my top 10 from last year now. Maybe even top 5.

All I'm saying is the new album is more instant for me. The debut took a while to gel as the tracks were all v similar in sound. I loved it while listening but the hooks didn't stick. hey we're all different eh.

I also agree that the best 2 or 3 tracks are probably on the debut as well.

Overall the albums are v similar in vibe, style etc...the second might be slightly stronger but it's very close.

Hence my comment. both mid 80s for me and great albums.

Very good live too ;)

Noted. I can honestly say - not kidding - that I would not be disappointed at all if they just re-recorded the debut with their current sound/production. I think it'd elevate a brilliant album to something completely sublime. :) Amazing what a year can do to a band... 

the production on this is still pretty weak imo. Muddy.

why can't they have a big bombastic sound?? Creye and Groundbreaker sound miles better especially when u shuffle albums....it's even more noticeable when a MC song comes on after say Groundbreaker which sounds a million $.

Why?

unacceptable imo 

why can't they just employ the team that Don Vedda uses. I mean that album sounds sensational and you're not kidding me he's on a big budget???!

Vega and Midnite City should both get in touch lol ;)

Harsh. I haven't heard it back to back with stuff like Groundbreaker, but to me it sounds very good. Definitely a hell of a lot better than the debut - miles ahead... production-wise, of course.  

53 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Harsh. I haven't heard it back to back with stuff like Groundbreaker, but to me it sounds very good. Definitely a hell of a lot better than the debut - miles ahead... production-wise, of course.  

I agree...Sounds better than the debut production-wise and don't really notice it sticking out as being bad by any means.  I kind of like a "richer" sound though.  I'd much rather have it be in that direction than say the Tokyo Motor Fist album that sounds like the drummer is playing tin cans in spots.

By the same token though, I'd agree too that it doesn't sound as crisp as the new Treat by comparison.  That album has a great sound to my ears.  

Haven't heard Groundbreaker or Creye enough to comment on those as didn't like those enough to listen to them ;)

Creye definitely sounds like a million dollars; that was evident right away. Treat always sound good, production-wise. And I do recall Groundbreaker being pretty impressive. 

But I still think this sounds fine. ;)

I just think it's a shame that there are such inconsistencies in this day & age.

All the albums should sound pretty similar but they don't. 

The Tremonti is even better still but unfair to compare that as recording budget was probably far higher.

I have said this before and will say it again. As long as it does not sound like a bag of shite or poor demo's, I could not give a tarts furry cup about production as long as the songs are great. I have never ever listened to the first album by these guys and said "boy, they could do with a better production", I just thought "Fuck me this is a great album".

5 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

I have said this before and will say it again. As long as it does not sound like a bag of shite or poor demo's, I could not give a tarts furry cup about production as long as the songs are great. I have never ever listened to the first album by these guys and said "boy, they could do with a better production", I just thought "Fuck me this is a great album".

You obviously don't listen to albums on shuffle then ;)

Actually I listen to most of my music in playlists, and still have no issue. As I say, a great song is a great son. That is what matters, not this does not sound more polished than this.

1 hour ago, Captain Howdy said:

Actually I listen to most of my music in playlists, and still have no issue. As I say, a great song is a great son. That is what matters, not this does not sound more polished than this.

well it matters to me. And a lot of others too.

I don't care what Newdeck claims about spending loads of time honing the sound....certain people should stick away from the production. Like Hess for example ;)

sprinkling magic my arse. 

Heard this a few times now, and so far the music is good, but nothing really jumping out at me.

Not slightly better and slightly worse songs to create some variety and a listening experience....

8 hours ago, Glen said:

well it matters to me. And a lot of others too.

I don't care what Newdeck claims about spending loads of time honing the sound....certain people should stick away from the production. Like Hess for example ;)

sprinkling magic my arse. 

I'm not ashamed to admit that production means a massive lot to me too. In fact, the two things that make or break an album are - imo - songs and production. Sure , the album needs great songs first and then great production. It has to be in that order to work. Great production and poor songs is obviously useless. 

But I'll put forth the controversial case of Dallas, released this year. I'll be honest, if that was well produced it would be my favourite album of the year. It really would. It's not perfect but I just love the whole vibe. Killer tunes on it. But it is essentially just a collection of demos in terms of sound quality. No matter how good those songs are, with a production job like that, you're just not comparing apples with apples. 

It's not a proper comparison to try and compare tin cans with massive drums - I can't view the two on a level playing field, personally. 

Anyway, all that said... and I'm pretty picky about my production jobs, I still think this Midnite City album sounds good to me. 

But! Dallas, Vega and White Widdow should all be in my top 5 this year and I reckon at least two of them won't be, because of the poor production.  

again not to confuse production with style.

Vega is poorly produced....we all know that.

White Widdow is well produced imo (ie everything clear and audible, nothing buried, not muddy) BUT they have opted for a stripped back sound. Almost like no rhythm guitar at all. That is their choice at the end of the day and you either like it or not. But you cannot criticise WW for bad production cos it's actually ok.

As for Midnite City. Yes its better than last time, yes it's perfectly acceptable.....but it still annoys me.

If it sounded like Creye this would be easily no 1 this year.

As it stands for me it probably won't be and that just irks me.