Treat - Tunguska

Stefan

12 hours ago, Geoff said:

Jeez, with a write-up like that you must have a very, very low opinion of 2018. I'm a diehard Treat fan and this album is solid, but like I said above, it won't even be in my top 30. :(

It's actually better than my comments reflect.

My only issue is that there aren't a few killer songs on this one.

Songs are generally good or very good with a couple of great songs.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they might be singing about some weird shit for the most part but the Treat album is pretty damned good.

The only one I think I'll be skipping is Best of Enemies. The rest I all like.

12 hours ago, CureTheSane said:

It's actually better than my comments reflect.

My only issue is that there aren't a few killer songs on this one.

Songs are generally good or very good with a couple of great songs.

Yeah, everyone seemed to miss my point, lol, but I'm glad you got it. I couldn't care less where everyone else is ranking this or where it should be on my list and if it's someone's top album... to each their own. None of my business. As you thankfully understood, I was just surprised that you called it bland and didn't really flatter it at all and then placed it in your top 10. ;)

And Glen, I could post the list if I could figure out how to post lists. ;) 'Best of enemies' is the only one I don't like too. FYI, the 30 albums aren't great... but all probably feature at least a few killer tracks, which this one's missing. 

Just now, Glen said:

I agree it's missing a 10/10 killer track....but it's consistently good....which in poorish year (so far) is prob enough to squeeze into a top 10 of sorts 

Do agree it's missing those 10/10 tracks....If I were going song by song I don't think I'd have any 10/10 songs.  

That said though, I'd have a bunch of 9/10 songs and probably wouldn't have a song below 8.

Just very consistent for me and just dig these guys sound.  For me, they're definitely one band that has improved with age.

On a side note, I've also messaged Frontiers and Treat recently on FB and both have said they're working with each other on getting together a re-issue of Coup De Grace.  Would love to see that happen as I only have Coup in digital format.  Would also be nice to see them add the Japan bonus track too!

3 minutes ago, tts42572 said:

Do agree it's missing those 10/10 tracks....If I were going song by song I don't think I'd have any 10/10 songs.  

That said though, I'd have a bunch of 9/10 songs and probably wouldn't have a song below 8.

Just very consistent for me and just dig these guys sound.  For me, they're definitely one band that has improved with age.

On a side note, I've also messaged Frontiers and Treat recently on FB and both have said they're working with each other on getting together a re-issue of Coup De Grace.  Would love to see that happen as I only have Coup in digital format.  Would also be nice to see them add the Japan bonus track too!

I don't rate a song on it above 8. ;)

Very interesting you say they've gotten better with age, as I generally disagree - though not entirely. For me, 'Organized Crime' is still definitely their best album, with 'Dreamhunter' in third place. But no doubt 'Coup De Grace' was a massive return to form and is in second spot for me. But then 'GOG' slots into fourth spot for a pretty even mix. ;)

'Coup De Grace' needs a reissue already? Really? 

As you all probably know by now, your rating system is not for me.

Going by my crap / average / ok / good / great / excellent system, I'd say that most of the songs are good, a couple great and a few ok.

I didn't like Best Of Enemies on first couple of listens, then I kind of liked it and thought it would be a grower that I might quite like, and then it slid back to ok, lol

So I still really like the album.

I'm sure when I make a mix and throw a few of these songs on it they will stand out a bit more.

36 minutes ago, CureTheSane said:

As you all probably know by now, your rating system is not for me.

Going by my crap / average / ok / good / great / excellent system, I'd say that most of the songs are good, a couple great and a few ok.

I didn't like Best Of Enemies on first couple of listens, then I kind of liked it and thought it would be a grower that I might quite like, and then it slid back to ok, lol

So I still really like the album.

I'm sure when I make a mix and throw a few of these songs on it they will stand out a bit more.

Using your system I think I'd rate the whole album 'Good' except for 'Best of enemies' which would be 'Average/OK.' ;)

1 hour ago, Geoff said:

Very interesting you say they've gotten better with age, as I generally disagree - though not entirely. For me, 'Organized Crime' is still definitely their best album, with 'Dreamhunter' in third place. But no doubt 'Coup De Grace' was a massive return to form and is in second spot for me. But then 'GOG' slots into fourth spot for a pretty even mix. ;)

I think Coup definitely needs a re-issue....I don't find it anywhere for a decent price and it's OOP.  I'd be all for them doing something like Crazy Lixx is doing. 

Well, part of my issue is probably that I didn't follow Treat back in the day.  I never started getting into them until the Coup album.  I've since went back to their earlier stuff but it's always hard doing that when you're going back so far....Material just sounds a bit dated or something I guess and just doesn't have the impact on me that the last 3 albums have.

Either way, great band that's still sounding good :)

Organized Crime is my def number 1 from these guys,remember well getting it on cassette upon its release day,doesnt sound dated at all,just good quality fun party melodic rock with a great sound even today... a classic for me  :)

OK, back to back spins and then I spun GOG. Maybe it will take a few for listens but I find it to be on equal ground with GOG, maybe a slight edge towards GOG but pretty equal right now. My favorites in order are, Always Have, Riptide, Undefeated, Man Overboard, All Bets. The rest are ok to above average.

3 hours ago, Invisible_man said:

good point!

Agree

2 hours ago, Y&TForever said:

so my disc is delayed..not getting here until Friday.

Soooo, in the meantime, are there are songs as good or better than Endangered on it?

Opinions will vary as always, but to answer your question, for me, Endangered and the other tracks that make up the first half of GOG are all slightly better than my favorite songs on the new one

18 minutes ago, Crazysam said:

Opinions will vary as always, but to answer your question, for me, Endangered and the other tracks that make up the first half of GOG are all slightly better than my favorite songs on the new one

I think I"d second this.  I think the best songs on GOG ate slightly better than the best songs on this.

However, GOG also had 3-4 songs in the second half I didn't really care for and I'm finding myself liking every song on the new one.

So for me, Tunguska is stronger top to bottom.

Agree with the majority of you. Pretty consistent and solid throughout. It's just missing those few grand slams. No song was above 8/10 for me on this. But the lowest score was Best Of Enemies at 6/10. Most of the other tracks are 7+ with a few 8's for good measure. No 9's or 10's though, and that's the point we are making.

Still will be close to my Top 15.

to beat the UNDEFEEEEEATED

UNDEFEEEEEEATED

*ahem*

For those asking, this album is IMO more consistent than Ghost of Graceland. You can listen to it all the way through and pick out at least four or five really good songs that will be stuck in your head all day. 

They'll never top Coup de Grace, but that's an unrealistic expectation anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

this has been the biggest surprise of the year for me. 

I basically love this album and have been playing it non stop. 

biggest 'grower' for years.

easy top 5 and might even challenge the mighty NFO.

(might ;) )

However there are a few due which will RIP my top 5 apart. Will be an interesting couple of months 

On 9/17/2018 at 4:02 PM, Geoff said:

On the issue of old albums, the 1992 album with Mats Levén on vocals is a really good Treat album. Can't get hold of it anywhere though. 

• 2 weeks later...

Been listening to this one a lot the last couple days.  To me, it follows on perfectly from "Ghost of Graceland", an album I loved.  IMHO, if you like that one, you'll like this one as well.  Highly recommended.