Halestorm - Vicious

tts42572

As was already said, I am usually one of their biggest supporters and even thought the last album was great beyond one or two songs.

Now while I still think this is a decent album, I got it the same time as the new Dee Snider album, and was expecting the Halestorm one to be the better of the two, but Dee has been on constant replay and Halestorm is barely getting a look in.

13 hours ago, Glen said:

their worst album to date for me. I skipped nearly every song and she's way over singing on this.

Probably the thing that turns me off most about it. Trying to sound too aggressive or whatever, but it doesn't work. Which is why I like that final ballad best, as it's the best showcase of what her voice can/should be. 

Stop, while I do up my laces. Yo, this happens every show; I gotta learn how to tie a bow. 

Double post. 

3 hours ago, PeterS said:

Not really bedded in. It's not bad and I'm sure some of the songs will be awesome live but it's just not exciting me. 

Better than the last album but a long way from essential. 

is it better than the last album? I question that? 

9 minutes ago, Glen said:

is it better than the last album? I question that? 

Many unwiped anuses would be better than the last album. Pile of rubbish. At least this new one is a hard rock album. 

9 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Many unwiped anuses would be better than the last album. Pile of rubbish. At least this new one is a hard rock album. 

LOL.....Agree.

Definitely better than the last album mostly just because of the rock aspect like you say. 

I like this in spots but at the same time it's not really grabbing me much either.  I still really feel like they need to change their approach a bit and add some gang vocal choruses or more backing vocal type harmonies with oohhs, ahhas, etc.  They do try to make things melodic and hooky with tempo changes and effects which helps but it's still just not overly catchy.  I compare this to something like the new Kissin Dynamite which absolutely blows this away.  That's how to craft a catchy hard rock album.  I've been finding over the past few days that whenever I have Halestorm in the CD player, I just want to take it out and pop in the new KD album....

I agree on the ballads too.....Novocaine and The Silence are too similar.  At least one of them should've blown in the full band at some point.  At least they stayed away from another piano ballad.... I just haven't cared for those.

I'll probably come back to this a little though.  It's still different than most everything else I listen to.  I'll just have to be in the right mood. 

ok. I just went back through the last album and I agree isn't as strong as I remember.

At least she wasn't over singing on that album 

let's just say both of the last 2 albums pale against A Strange Case of.....which was pretty great imo 

'Do Not Disturb' could have been on s/t or 'Strange Case.' Definite vibe of the s/t album. 

Anyway, I agree that they need to embrace their melodic side a bit. Solid hard rock songs, but desperately needing good hooks and melodies, and I agree about some backing vocals and stuff too. More 'Bet you wish you had me back's please.   

• 1 month later...

So I took a few weeks away from this and went back and listened to it again with fresh ears, and have to say it has improved as the songs had a familiarity I did not expect. Seems they did sink in more than I thought initially. Still maintain that it is not what I was hoping for, but it is still a very good album. Maybe I have just been a little hard on it because I am such a fan of the band.

• 4 weeks later...

Been listening to this band a lot lately....Went back to the debut as I never spent much time with that album and sort of rediscovering it....damn good.

And still like the new one a lot also....Not quite as melodic as the first couple albums but still lots of interesting hooks.

Really the only album that does little for me is Into the Wild Life.  There's a few good tunes...I dig I Am The Fire....But really not much that keeps my interest on that one.