Top-5 2018 (at the moment)

14 hours ago, Geoff said:

Anyway, interesting list, but you shock me once with Shiraz Lane over Midnite City. Really? The SL album is a nice improvement, but personally, for me, that contest is non-existent. But. To each their own. ;)

Really?
SL is the album of the year for me.
Midnite City would be lucky to make my top 10.
Like you said, everyone hears different things and likes different music, so no big deal, but SL is amazing to me.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, CureTheSane said:

Really?
SL is the album of the year for me.
Midnite City would be lucky to make my top 10.
Like you said, everyone hears different things and likes different music, so no big deal, but SL is amazing to me.

SL is nice because, like Kissin' Dynamite, it's such a huge step forward from their previous material. But still, when I play it back to back with the stuff I really love, they're still a way off for me. It is definitely a well crafted album with good variety, but a few of the songs almost grate on me after frequent spins. Pretty good stuff, but it's actually outside my top 100 for the year. :(

Okay, I'll drop my list. Obviously don't read too much into the exact positions of lower ranked albums as I'll admit they're not 100% precise, I'm sure, but here's my thoughts on 2018;

No.      .           Artist   -          Album -          Score (%)

1          .           Creye   -          Creye   -          87 ; flawless production job and the songs aren’t far behind either. Barely a song on it I don’t really enjoy. This release is all class.

2          .           Midnite City    -          There Goes the Neighbourhood         -          86 ; not quite as instant as the debut, but holds up fabulously to repeated listens. It often had me skipping through the letter M in my alphabetized 2018 playlist just to get to it… so that’s the sign of a damn fine album to me. The better production does wonders for their appeal too. Killer disc.

3          .           Magic Dance   -          New Eyes        -          85 ; the only criticism I’ve seen levelled at this is that it’s too samey. And fair enough. And it’d be an issue for me too, if the songs weren’t so awesome. I love every song on it so there’s no reason for me not to rate it very high. Plus it has extremely high replay value for me too.

4          .           Care of Night  -          Love Equals War         -          83 ; fair way off their debut, but still very high quality and nothing bad on it… just not quite as good as an amazing debut. Still sounds awesome to me, though.

5          .           Dallas  -          Dallas  -          83 ; this is the toughest spot in my top 10 because it sounds like a smacked ass. It really is like putting a collection of demos amidst first class releases. It doesn’t deserve a high mention, but I’ll be cursed if I can look past the killer hook/s on every single song on this thing. With good production, it’d be my favourite release this year, no doubt. It’s lively and passionate, and the guy has an amazing ear for a good hook… but holy shit it sounds like rubbish.

6          .           Ted Poley        -          Modern Art     -          81 ; Yes, Poley’s last solo album was better than this, as is a Degreed album… so it’s not the perfect combo and Poley’s voice doesn’t fit all these tunes, but it’s still just a quality release packed with really good songs. Nothing to really fault about it, for me.

7          .           Imperium        -          Beyond the stars         -          80 ; didn’t seem to rate much of a mention this year, but I loved Khymera when they were good, and this is kind of like a new Khymera album… kind of. I think it’s a great collection of songs and I, for one, enjoy it a lot.

8          .           Groundbreaker            -          Groundbreaker            -          80 ; burst into my eardrums with a mass of appeal. Didn’t quite stack up to repeated listens, but it’s still a damn fine effort. Nice melodic rock / AOR.

9          .           Secrets            -          Secrets            -          79 ; arguably the most playable album of the year for me. Every single listen I think I loved it a little more. Erase the few screams that remain on this, and I feel like this would have mass appeal on this forum. The massive hooks and choruses are just divine. Killer disc and well deserved top modern rock spot for me.

10        .           7 Days In Alaska          -          Dancing with Ghosts  -          79 ; another creeper here. Wonderful on first spin, and grows each time. Real high quality songs from start to end without a sniff of a filler.

11        .           Station -          More Than The Moon -          79 ; the biggest issue this album has is the really soft/lite production job. It lacks balls and bite, which is a shame because the songs are mostly great. This has still rated very well for me this year, but give these guys a big production job and you’re threatening the top 5 in a year, imo.

12        .           Boys of Fall     -          Better Moments         -          79 ; ridiculously listenable band. It’s a shame three of their best songs they released in 2018 were on an earlier EP, but this album is still awesome. Love their tunes and the vocal/lyrical hooks that pop up all over the place. Massive fan of these guys. Kind of expected this album to be top 5, but it’s in no way a disappointment.

13        .           The Midnight  -          Kids     -          79 ; a bit annoying to rate as there are so many interludes and stuff. But goddamn I love these guys. Soooo catchy. Great tunes again.

14        .           Don Vedda      -          Hell of a Night -          79 ; so glad we finally have a full album from this young maestro. Like Boys Of Fall, I’d have predicted this would be a top 5 (or 3) finisher and it didn’t quite make it, but I still love it.

15        .           W.E.T. -          Earthrage         -          79 ; credit to this album; I kind of had this pegged as a low finisher after early spins, but it stuck around. It’s the weakest WET album so far, but surprisingly good in the end.

16        .           We Were Sharks         -          Lost Touch       -          78 ; one of the first albums I heard this year and another stayer. Not a band I expected much from, but they delivered the good here with a great product with mostly great tunes.

17        .           From Ashes To New   -          The Future      -          78 ; another constant pleasure to listen to. Flying that ever-dwindling “rap-rock” flag high, these guys do it brilliantly. Great album.  

18        .           ISSA     -          Run With The Pack     -          78 ; a long way off her last album, which I believe I rated around the 90% mark. The songs, production and band all sound a bit flatter than last time, but that’s not to say there’s still some good stuff here. It’s another album that surprisingly lingered around the top of my list, despite me having my doubts early on. Solid stuff.

19        .           No Sleep for Lucy        -          Until the End   -          78 ; this was sitting in my top 5-10 all year but to be honest, it’s got pretty weak replay value. I think this is ever more one dimensional and samey that Magic Dance and all the songs just mix in together (except for the Jesus one, which is superb). The difference between this and Magic Dance is that the Magic Dance stuff is awesome and full of energy and joy. This one just kind of blends into a kind if single track of good quality, but wears out a bit halfway through. But still… it’s a good album with some nice melodies n’ stuff.

20        .           Bonfire            -          Temple Of Lies           -          78 ; well it’s not perfect from start to end, but with a handful of very nice hard rock tunes and an overall cool sound, this has very surprisingly outlasted a lot of albums I didn’t think it would. I like it.

21        .           Self Deception -          Self Deception -          78 ; great sound and vibe. Just missing a few more monster tunes and the replay value isn’t high… but it’s a high quality album.

22        .           Gioeli, Castronovo      -          Set the World on Fire -          77 ; another album with a handful of killer stand out songs. It suffers from an average/slightly muffled production job, but it’s a good one. Far better than the last Revolution Saints for sure.

23        .           7th Heaven      -          Color In Motion           -          77 ; this should be sitting a lot higher on my list if not for a couple of really weak songs amidst a majority of excellent tunes. I love to heard them finally finding their feet production-wise, because they always have the songs required for great albums. Good stuff.

24        .           Slaves  -          Beautiful Death          -          77 ; this is one I didn’t get to re-rate for whatever reason, because if I had, I think it’d be about 5 places higher. A really high quality band and a really high quality album. Another one I just loved listening to every time it came up in my playlist this year.

25        .           Deaf Havana   -          Rituals -          77 ; a tiny handful of songs miss the mark, but by Christ when this is good it’s good. Brilliant, in fact. Possibly houses my favourite song on the year… that’s another thread in the making.

26        .           Hearts On Fire -          Call Of Destiny            -          77 ; a little by-the-numbers… well, a lot, but a good solid album.

27        .           Nitrate -          Real World      -          77 ; a good, solid album, but in the end I just couldn’t match the vocals with the songs… just doesn’t really work. It’s got good songs, but is a long way off MC.

28        .           White Widdow           -          Victory -          77 ; the reason this sits this low has a lot to do with production, but not everything. That is unfortunately way too thin for me here, but I have to admit, song-wise, it’s also the weakest WW album imo. Still good… but I want to hear them return to the sound/style of their first two.

29        .           State Champs -          Living Proof     -          77 ; super consistent, good catchy tunes. A good surprise from a band who found a good groove.

30        .           As It Is -          The Great Depression -          77 ; another contender for song on the year of this one, and elsewhere it’s a good album and much more consistent and better than their previous work. Good surprise.

31        .           The Cruel Intentions   -          No Sign of Relief        -          77 ; best sleaze hard rock album of the year… if there even was another of note, lol. But this is good. They stick to a good formula and it works for them.

32        .           Savage Hands -          Barely Alive     -          76

33        .           Vega    -          Only Human    -          76 ; like White Widdow, I think this is pretty easily their weakest album so far, and the terrible production job doesn’t help it. A few times this came onto my playlist and before I realized what it was, I seriously thought it was demo quality. Unforgivable… but yeah, songs also off the mark here, compared to their usual quality.

34        .           Sunstorm        -          The Road to Hell         -          76

35        .           Sink the Ship   -          Persevere        -          76

36        .           Osukaru           -          House of Mirrors         -          76

37        .           blessthefall     -          Hard Feelings  -          76

38        .           Send Request  -          Perspectives    -          76

39        .           Perfect Plan    -          All Rise            -          76

40        .           Striker -          Play To Win     -          76 ; really cool album which would rate higher if not for a couple of weaker songs that bring it down overall… but I love the rest of this. Awesome album.

41        .           Hank Erix         -          Nothing But Trouble   -          76

42        .           Heartwind       -          Higher and Higher       -          75

43        .           Make Out Monday      -          Visions of Hollywood  -          75

44        .           Good Charlotte           -          Generation Rx -          75

45        .           Milestones      -          Red Lights       -          75

46        .           Maverick         -          Cold Star Dancer         -          75

47        .           Messer            -          Messer            -          75

48        .           Alteras -          Myself on Fire -          75

49        .           Grand Design  -          Viva La Paradise         -          75 ; an album that sat high on my list for a long time, but it has such poor replay value. ‘Love shouldn’t hurt’ is great and the sole reason I rated it above Treat.

50        .           Treat   -          Tunguska         -          75 ; well at least it scraped into my top 50! This is one of my favourite bands so I don’t take this position lightly, but the album just doesn’t really do it for me. It doesn’t have a real standout song, even if ‘Build the love’ is the best on here. And the replay value is poor for me too, which is weird for Treat, as I’ve spun ‘Organized Crime’ to a point where if CDs wear out, it will. This is still very solid and nice in the scheme of things, but well below par for Treat.

51        .           Rivals  -          Damned Soul  -          75

52        .           Snakes in Paradise      -          Step into the Light      -          75

53        .           Taste   -          Moral Decay    -          75

54        .           Oh, Weatherly -          Lips Like Oxygen         -          75

55        .           Normandie      -          White Flag      -          74

56        .           Bullet for My Valentine          -          Gravity -          74

57        .           Abandoned By Bears  -          Headstorm      -          74

58        .           Story Untold    -          Waves -          74

59        .           Colour & Shade           -          Colour & Shade           -          74

60        .           Sapphire Eyes -          Breath Of Ages           -          74

61        .           Like A Storm   -          Catacombs      -          74

62        .           Stand Atlantic -          Skinny Dipping -          74

63        .           Bugzy  -          Center Of Attraction   -          74

64        .           The Bunny The Bear   -          You Have to Die a Few Times -          74

65        .           Diamante        -          Coming in Hot -          74

66        .           Perfect View   -          Timeless         -          74

67        .           Stuck Out        -          You Won't Come Home          -          74

68        .           We Set Signals           -          Abandon Ship  -          73

69        .           Escape The Fate         -          I Am Human     -          73

70        .           Nordic Union   -          Second Coming           -          73

71        .           The Radio Sun -          Beautiful Strange       -          73

72        .           Mayday Parade           -          Sunnyland       -          73

73        .           Dare    -          Out Of The Silence II (Anniversary Special Edition)   -          73

74        .           The Amity Affliction   -          Misery -          73

75        .           Adelitas Way  -          Live Love Life  -          73

76        .           Dan Reed Network     -          Origins -          73

77        .           Odyssey Desperado    -          Don't Miss The Sunset            -          73

78        .           Steve Perry      -          Traces -          73

79        .           Against The Current    -          Past Lives        -          73

80        .           Taste   -          We Are Back   -          73

81        .           Newman         -          Decade II         -          73

82        .           Senses Fail      -          If There Is Light It Will Find You         -          73

83        .           Amor   -          Love vs. Logic  -          73

84        .           Between You & Me    -          Everything Is Temporary         -          73

85        .           Bugzy  -          She's The One -          73

86        .           Hardcore Superstar     -          You Can't Kill My Rock 'N Roll            -          72

87        .           Stephen Pearcy           -          View To Thrill -          72

88        .           Shangrila         -          Love and Leaving        -          72

89        .           Detour North   -          It's History, It's Poetry -          72

90        .           Eyes Set To Kill           -          Eyes Set To Kill           -          72

91        .           Sun Arcana      -          As I Take a Breath...   -          72

92        .           Panorama       -          Around The World      -          72

93        .           Kissin' Dynamite         -          Ecstasy            -          72

94        .           Youth Fountain           -          Youth Fountain           -          72

95        .           Bonfire            -          Legends           -          71

96        .           Falling Through April  -          Zodiac -          71

97        .           Tonight Alive   -          Underworld     -          71

98        .           Signal Red       -          Under The Radar        -          71

99        .           The Dangerous Summer         -          The Dangerous Summer         -          71

100      .           Memphis May Fire     -          Broken -          71

101      .           Black Paisley   -          Perennials       -          71

102      .           StoneLake       -          Thunder and Rain       -          71

103      .           AfterpartY       -          On My Way to Hell     -          71

104      .           Big City            -          Big City Life     -          71

105      .           Dion Bayman  -          Better Days     -          71

106      .           The Plot In You            -          Dispose           -          71

107      .           We Are The Movies    -          ... Or Get Busy Dying  -          71

108      .           Mad Max         -          35        -          71

109      .           The Comfort    -          What It is to Be          -          71

110      .           PAL      -          Prime  -          71

111      .           Bilmuri            -          Solid Chub       -          71

112      .           Clif Magness   -          Lucky Dog        -          71

113      .           Settle Your Scores      -          Better Luck Tomorrow            -          71

114      .           Lioncage          -          Turn Back Time           -          71

115      .           Outloud           -          Virtual Hero Society    -          71

116      .           Hawthorne Heights     -          Bad Frequencies         -          71

117      .           The Happy Alright       -          Run Home       -          71

118      .           Gardenside     -          Anything & Everything - EP     -          71

119      .           Angeline          -          Shadowlands  -          70

120      .           Atreyu -          In Our Wake    -          70

121      .           Pleasure Maker           -          Dancin' With Danger  -          70

122      .           Shiraz Lane     -          Carnival Days  -          70

123      .           Atlas    -          In Pursuit of Memory  -          70

124      .           Daniel Trigger -          Right Turn       -          70

125      .           Acrasia            -          Acrasia            -          70

126      .           Real Friends    -          Composure      -          70

127      .           Peter H Nilsson           -          Little American Dream           -          70

128      .           Backdrop Violet          -          A Sharper Light           -          70

129      .           Marenna         -          Livin' No Regrets        -          70

130      .           Tony Mitchell  -          Beggars Gold  -          69

131      .           Waterparks     -          Entertainment -          69

132      .           Sixgun Renegades      -          Sixgun Renegades      -          69

133      .           Wildways        -          Day X   -          69

134      .           Yearbooks       -          Peer Pressure  -          69

135      .           Tiffany -          Pieces of Me   -          69

136      .           Alex Beyrodt's Voodoo Circle -          Raised On Rock           -          69

137      .           Gus G. -          Fearless          -          69

138      .           Black Veil Brides         -          Vale     -          69

139      .           FM       -          Atomic Generation     -          69

140      .           Moose Blood   -          I Don't Think I Can Do This Anymore  -          69

141      .           With Confidence         -          Love and Loathing       -          69

142      .           Stryper -          God Damn Evil            -          69

143      .           The New Age  -          Placebo           -          69

144      .           Three Days Grace       -          Outsider          -          69

145      .           Halestorm       -          Vicious -          69

146      .           Dangerous Curves       -          So Dirty Right  -          69

147      .           Broken Ride    -          Broken Ride    -          69

148      .           Ammunition    -          Ammunition    -          68

149      .           Big Mouthers  -          Wishes            -          68

150      .           Christian Tolle Project -          Point Blank      -          68

151      .           Exit      -          Too Little, Too Late     -          68

152      .           Mass   -          When 2 Worlds Collide            -          68

153      .           Prox     -          Transcend the Skies    -          68

154      .           Devil's Hand    -          Devil's Hand    -          68

155      .           Captain Black Beard   -          Struck by Lightning     -          68

156      .           GUNSHIP         -          Dark All Day    -          68

157      .           Be for you       -          The Things I Never Told You   -          67

158      .           Revertigo        -          Revertigo        -          67

159      .           JK Northrup and David Cagle  -          That's Gonna Leave a Mark    -          67

160      .           Löve Razër      -          Border City Rebels      -          67

161      .           Settle Your Scores      -          Better Luck Tomorrow            -          67

162      .           The Faceplants           -          Animalistic      -          67

163      .           New Deadline -          To Hope           -          67

164      .           Pavement Princess     -          First Night Out            -          67

165      .           Amaranthe      -          Helix    -          67

166      .           James Christian          -          Craving            -          67

167      .           Softspoken      -          Pathways        -          67

168      .           Wired for Havoc          -          I Don't Belong Here    -          67

169      .           Acacia Avenue -          Worlds Apart  -          67

170      .           We Have the Moon     -          Till the Morning Comes          -          67

171      .           DeVicious        -          Never Say Never         -          67

172      .           The Weekend Classic  -          Better Health  -          67

173      .           Magical Heart -          Another Wonderland  -          67

174      .           Trash Boat      -          Crown Shyness            -          67

175      .           The Poodles    -          Prisma -          66

176      .           Vertical Horizon          -          The Lost Mile  -          66

177      .           Lipz      -          Scaryman        -          66

178      .           Heartsigh        -          Heartsigh - EP -          66

179      .           Tyler James     -          Tyler James     -          66

180      .           Johnny Gioeli  -          One Voice       -          66

181      .           State of Salazar          -          Superhero       -          66

182      .           Belmont          -          Belmont          -          66

183      .           Winchester     -          Life Begins At These Dead Ends         -          66

184      .           Late Night Savior        -          Into the Aftermath     -          66

185      .           Last Autumn's Dream -          Fourteen         -          66

186      .           Big Guns         -          Re-Loaded       -          66

187      .           The Lazys        -          Tropical Hazards         -          66

188      .           Trophy Eyes     -          The American Dream -          66

189      .           Dominoe         -          The Lost Radio Show  -          66

190      .           Shayne Malone           -          Rocket -          65

191      .           Koritni -          Rolling -          65

192      .           Axel Rudi Pell  -          Knights Call     -          65

193      .           Radiant           -          Radiant           -          65

194      .           Deadset Society          -          Destroy + Rebuild       -          65

195      .           Fifth Dawn      -          Duality -          65

196      .           Stage Dolls      -          Singles 2017-18          -          65

197      .           True North      -          Dream / Awake          -          65

198      .           Drama Queen -          Drama Queen -          65

199      .           Disturbed        -          Evolution          -          65

200      .           Steelcity          -          Fortress           -          65

201      .           Barros -          More Humanity Please...        -          65

202      .           The Night Flight Orchestra     -          Sometimes the World Ain't Enough  -          65

203      .           Jaded Heart     -          Devil's Gift      -          64

204      .           New Found Glory        -          Makes Me Sick Again -          64

205      .           After 10           -          Bad Influences            -          64

206      .           Black Tiger      -          Black Tiger      -          64

207      .           Why Everyone Left      -          This Is Not a Test        -          64

208      .           Fireblast          -          Dreams To Life           -          64

209      .           Palace -          Binary Music   -          64

210      .           Tokyo Blade    -          Unbroken        -          64

211      .           The Story So Far         -          Proper Dose    -          64

212      .           Heavy Things   -          Glimpse          -          64

213      .           Vice (USA-Utah)         -          Fooled By Your Love   -          64

214      .           Pala     -          The Seven Earths        -          63

215      .           The Playbook   -          All I Am Is What You Left Behind       -          63

216      .           Fall Out Boy    -          M A N I A        -          63

217      .           She Waves the Flag    -          The Ghost I'm Leaving            -          63

218      .           Underoath       -          Erase Me         -          63

219      .           Tanuki -          The Fire. The Fear. The Fall   -          63

220      .           Brand of Julez -          Forward          -          63

221      .           Rebirth of Enora         -          Revelation8     -          63

222      .           Billy Morris, the Sunset Strip -          Holdin All the Aces     -          63

223      .           Call It Home    -          Better Days     -          63

224      .           Knuckle Puck   -          Shifted -          63

225      .           The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus -          The Awakening           -          63

226      .           Fall Out Boy    -          Lake Effect Kid            -          63

227      .           Jim Shepard    -          Jaded   -          63

228      .           Dave Bickler    -          Darklight         -          63

229      .           Sebastian Bach           -          American Metalhead  -          62

230      .           Wildnite          -          Wildnite          -          62

231      .           Slash   -          Living The Dream        -          62

232      .           Swedish Funk Connection       -          1987    -          62

233      .           Guild Of Ages -          Rise     -          62

234      .           Sixty-Nine Crash         -          Postcards From The Black Sun           -          62

235      .           Mask Of Virtue           -          2.0.      -          62

236      .           Shannon Noll  -          Unbroken        -          62

237      .           Hartmann        -          Hands on the Wheel   -          62

238      .           Crystal Ball      -          Crystallizer      -          62

239      .           Scoop Miller    -          Friendship Never Dies             -          62

240      .           Hands Like Houses      -          Anon.   -          62

241      .           Dynazty           -          Firesign           -          61

242      .           Valentine        -          The Alliance    -          61

243      .           Firewild           -          One     -          61

244      .           Catch Fire        -          Karma Owes Me a Lifetime of Happiness     -          61

245      .           Firmo  -          Rehab  -          61

246      .           We The Kings  -          Six       -          61

247      .           Northward      -          Northward      -          61

248      .           Revolution Highway    -          Revolution Highway    -          61

249      .           Volster -          Perfect Storm -          61

250      .           Dee Snider      -          For the Love of Metal -          61

251      .           Axxis    -          Monster Hero  -          61

252      .           Marita -          Bloodlust         -          60

253      .           Johan Kihlberg's Impera         -          Age of Discovery         -          60

254      .           Living With Lions        -          Island  -          60

255      .           Hunter -          Hunter -          60

256      .           Marmozets     -          Knowing What You Know Now          -          60

257      .           Stray Bullets   -          Shut Up           -          60

258      .           Maxxwell        -          Metalized        -          60

259      .           Aldo Nova       -          2          -          60

260      .           Charlie Giardina          -          Dreamland      -          60

261      .           Like Pacific      -          In Spite of Me -          60

262      .           Ace Frehley     -          Spaceman       -          60

263      .           Universe Infinity         -          Rock Is Alive    -          59

264      .           Ultraboss        -          Seven Deadly Synths   -          59

265      .           The Struts       -          Young & Dangerous    -          59

266      .           Reach  -          The Great Divine         -          59

267      .           King Company -          Queen Of Hearts         -          59

268      .           Hawk Nelson   -          Miracles          -          59

269      .           Pop Evil           -          Pop Evil           -          59

270      .           Skull Fist         -          Way of the Road         -          59

271      .           Kenny Leckremo          -          Spectra            -          58

272      .           The Almas       -          Back To Bad    -          58

273      .           The Home Team         -          Better Off       -          58

274      .           After Touch     -          You Wish This Was About You           -          58

275      .           Love Stallion   -          Unforgettable Ride     -          58

276      .           Thirty Seconds to Mars           -          America          -          57

277      .           Facing The Oracle       -          Haunted One   -          57

278      .           EverLevel         -          Hardwork        -          57

279      .           Homesafe       -          One     -          57

280      .           Fifth Angel      -          The Third Secret         -          57

281      .           Cherri Rokkett -          Quality You Can Taste!           -          56

282      .           Reece  -          Resilient Heart            -          56

283      .           Airrace -          Untold Stories -          56

284      .           Dream Patrol  -          Phantoms of the Past -          56

285      .           Robert Parker  -          End of the Night         -          56

286      .           Shinedown      -          Attention Attention    -          55

287      .           Michael Kratz  -          Live Your Life  -          55

288      .           Rust n' Rage   -          Tales from the Wasteland     -          55

289      .           The Wonder Years      -          Sister Cities     -          55

290      .           Glass Tiger      -          31        -          55

291      .           Damn Dice      -          Thriller Killer   -          55

292      .           A Loss For Words        -          Odds & Ends   -          55

293      .           Von Baltzer     -          Cultural Daze  -          55

294      .           Tony Touris     -          Ghost Town    -          54

295      .           Smash Into Pieces      -          Evolver -          54

296      .           Plain White T's           -          Parallel Universe        -          53

297      .           Ryan Roxie      -          Imagine Your Reality  -          53

298      .           Robert Rodrigo Band  -          Living for Louder         -          53

299      .           5 Seconds of Summer -          Youngblood (Deluxe)  -          53

300      .           Cranston          -          II          -          53

301      .           Livesay -          Chronicles       -          52

302      .           The Horizon Line         -          Survivors         -          52

303      .           Tommy Paris Band     -          Tommy Paris Band     -          52

304      .           Bulletboys       -          From Out Of The Skies           -          52

305      .           Endless Heights          -          Vicious Pleasure         -          52

306      -          Lifelong           -          Revive the Masses      -          52

307      -          Pilot Season    -          A Deep Dive    -          52

308      -          Reventure       -          Those Who Seek         -          52

309      -          Breaking Benjamin     -          Ember -          52

310      -          Hylian  -          Raison D'etre  -          52

311      -          Karo     -          Heavy Birthday III        -          51

312      -          TNT     -          XIII       -          51

313      -          Fire Tiger        -          Suddenly Heavenly      -          50

314      -          Life In Idle       -          She's Out to Get Me   -          50

315      -          Lowdrive         -          Roller  -          50

316      -          Pythalo            -          You Can't Stay Sad Forever    -          50

317      -          Second Player Score   -          Nobody's Hero -          50

318      -          StuckFish         -          Calling -          50

319      -          The Complaints           -          Talk To Me      -          50

320      -          The Torch        -          Chasing Light  -          50

321      -          Traverse          -          Traverse          -          50

322      -          Falling Asleep -          My Heart Still Goes On           -          50

323      -          Save Face        -          Merci   -          50

324      -          Bilmuri            -          Taco    -          50

325      -          Wait for the Day         -          The Losing Sight Collection - EP         -          50

326      -          Roxanne          -          Radio Silence  -          50

327      -          Lobster            -          Killing Silence -          50

328      -          Daughtry         -          Cage To Rattle            -          50

329      -          Stagma           -          Stagma           -          49

330      -          Schubert in Rock         -          Commander of Pain    -          49

331      -          You Me At Six -          VI         -          49

332      -          Prayer  -          Silent Soldiers -          48

333      -          Enuff Z'Nuff    -          Diamond Boy  -          48

334      -          Red Sun Rising            -          THREAD           -          47

335      -          Man With A Mission   -          Chasing the Horizon    -          46

336      -          Minniva           -          Volume #4      -          46

337      -          Crosson           -          Invincible         -          46

338      -          Two Of A Kind -          Rise     -          45

339      -          Delain  -          A Day for Ghosts         -          45

340      -          The 109s         -          Hollow Point   -          45

341      -          A Place In Time           -          A Place in Time           -          45

342      -          Russ Taff         -          Believe            -          45

343      -          Rso      -          Radio Free America    -          44

344      -          Dare Force      -          Callin' Your Name       -          43

345      -          Loud 'N' Proud -          Crossroads      -          43

346      -          Pain City          -          When Life Gets You    -          43

347      -          Salems Lott     -          Mask of Morality        -          43

348      -          Angel Heart     -          Angel Heart     -          42

349      -          Queen Anne's Revenge          -          Hell or High Water      -          42

350      -          Sainted Sinners           -          Back With A Vengeance         -          42

351      -          Bad Touch       -          Shake A Leg    -          40

352      -          Panic! At the Disco     -          Pray For The Wicked   -          40

353      -          Ten      -          Illuminati        -          40

354      -          Black Stone Cherry      -          Family Tree     -          39

355      -          Line Of Fire     -          Nothing In My Way     -          38

356      -          Spice River      -          Emergency on Planet Rock 'n Roll      -          38

357      -          Lee Aaron        -          Diamond Baby Blues  -          38

358      -          Loudness         -          Rise To Glory  -          35

359      -          Ragdolls           -          Old Habits Die Hard   -          35

360      -          Rick Springfield           -          The Snake King           -          32

361      -          Angeles           -          Test Of Time   -          32

362      -          Plastic Tears   -          Angels With Attitude  -          30

363      -          Rox Diamond  -          Let the Music Do the Talkin'   -          27

364      -          Punchline        -          LION    -          25

365      -          Uncle Sally      -          Loud as Balls   -          22

366      -          Lady Diesel      -          Store Bought Love      -          20

367      -          Renegade Cartel         -          Renegade Cartel         -          15

3 minutes ago, PeterS said:

I'm impressed you bother to rank things you clearly really don't like. 

As noted in recent years, I have the memory of horse droppings, so I like to have a record of everything I pay attention to, so that I don’t waste time in the future listening to something I already heard and hated... but forgot about it. ;) 

• 2023 Gold Donors
10 hours ago, Geoff said:

As noted in recent years, I have the memory of horse droppings, so I like to have a record of everything I pay attention to, so that I don’t waste time in the future listening to something I already heard and hated... but forgot about it. ;) 

Thanks for posting the list mate. Dan should recruit you for official HH yearly review. There's alot of albums there. Averaging one a day. How on earth do you find the time to listen to all of them, let alone critique them. Rating is not my thing, but I reckon I  would need to live with an album for a while and have several listens before I would dream of giving it a rating. Also, I have many much loved albums that I wasn't particularly impressed with on first listen. Again,  thanks for the list, I'll certainly be checking some of the artists out.

1 hour ago, Darkstone said:

Thanks for posting the list mate. Dan should recruit you for official HH yearly review. There's alot of albums there. Averaging one a day. How on earth do you find the time to listen to all of them, let alone critique them. Rating is not my thing, but I reckon I  would need to live with an album for a while and have several listens before I would dream of giving it a rating. Also, I have many much loved albums that I wasn't particularly impressed with on first listen. Again,  thanks for the list, I'll certainly be checking some of the artists out.

Haha, thanks mate, and hope it give you something interesting from it. :)

I mention it roughly each year, but I'm pretty comfortable that by now I know what I like, and it doesn't take me long (two or three songs, max) before I know if I'll like an album or not. And within reason, I still have albums that do exactly what you say. I didn't think much of Issa or WET on early spins, and alternatively, thought way too much of No Sleep For Lucy on first listen. But continued spins of each set their places for me this year. 

I spend a lot of time listening to the albums I like, but I'm not going to jest you and say I gave the albums below 70% more chances to redeem themselves, as I knew they just weren't my jam, when there were a massive bundle that did deserve more listens. That said, for me, 2018 was the year of the song. There are albums like the Swedish Funk Connection one sitting way down in my list, but that opening song, 'This Love Will Last Forever' will definitely feature in my top 10 songs of the entire year. Amazing song... just a shame about the rest. ;)

Anyway, like I said, hope the list leads you to something cool you may not have known about.  

Oh... and as to how I get to listen to it all - same as last year, but I got sick of my 2018 playlist from overplaying it so much. I'm a courier and spin music 7-8 hours a day. :) ... plus a 3 hour door to door commute every day. 

Need two lists. One for what I think now and one for after I've tried all the albums I've missed. Bit of a slacker. I've probably only listened to 200 myself. 

Just trying the Groundbreaker. Not sure why but Steve Overland's voice has never done anything for me. I'm well aware others think he has a great voice though. 

23 minutes ago, PeterS said:

Need two lists. One for what I think now and one for after I've tried all the albums I've missed. Bit of a slacker. I've probably only listened to 200 myself. 

Just trying the Groundbreaker. Not sure why but Steve Overland's voice has never done anything for me. I'm well aware others think he has a great voice though. 

Haha. Not me. I like him in FM because that's his thing, but I don't really like his voice much at all otherwise. I've said it before, but it reminds me of Bert or Ernie (no idea which one) from Sesame Street. 

Anyway, I know what you're saying about a post-year list. Every year I listen to a good 30+ albums from the year just passed that I wish to note but my list has come and gone. 1 & 10 on Gotthardline's list have escaped me this year and although Ice Nine Kills is a bit much for me, I do like the sounds of Our Mirage quite a lot. 

• 2023 Gold Donors
24 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Haha, thanks mate, and hope it give you something interesting from it. :)

I mention it roughly each year, but I'm pretty comfortable that by now I know what I like, and it doesn't take me long (two or three songs, max) before I know if I'll like an album or not. And within reason, I still have albums that do exactly what you say. I didn't think much of Issa or WET on early spins, and alternatively, thought way too much of No Sleep For Lucy on first listen. But continued spins of each set their places for me this year. 

I spend a lot of time listening to the albums I like, but I'm not going to jest you and say I gave the albums below 70% more chances to redeem themselves, as I knew they just weren't my jam, when there were a massive bundle that did deserve more listens. That said, for me, 2018 was the year of the song. There are albums like the Swedish Funk Connection one sitting way down in my list, but that opening song, 'This Love Will Last Forever' will definitely feature in my top 10 songs of the entire year. Amazing song... just a shame about the rest. ;)

Anyway, like I said, hope the list leads you to something cool you may not have known about.  

Oh... and as to how I get to listen to it all - same as last year, but I got sick of my 2018 playlist from overplaying it so much. I'm a courier and spin music 7-8 hours a day. :)

That's the beauty of having a comprehensive list. It's easy  to revisit albums you may have judged harshly. Funnily enough, apart from the title track, I thought the rest of Lynch Mob's "Wicked Sensation" was average snd didn't really give it a go for about a year. It's now my favourite album bar none. It was also a given amongst my friends and myself that as much as we loved Queensryche, we would always be disappointed on first listen. By the third listen we would love it.  I'm talking everything up to Q2K.

18 minutes ago, Darkstone said:

That's the beauty of having a comprehensive list. It's easy  to revisit albums you may have judged harshly. Funnily enough, apart from the title track, I thought the rest of Lynch Mob's "Wicked Sensation" was average snd didn't really give it a go for about a year. It's now my favourite album bar none. It was also a given amongst my friends and myself that as much as we loved Queensryche, we would always be disappointed on first listen. By the third listen we would love it.  I'm talking everything up to Q2K.

My two were Roxx Gang's 'Things you've never done before' and Vain's 'No Respect.' I disliked, even mocked both of them. Vain is now a top 10-20 album of all time for me and I adore that Roxx Gang debut. But I learnt my lesson hard and fast with those two and I don't recall that I've ever made the same mistake since then, and that was a long, long time ago. Not 1989... but around 1995-1996 when I started getting into this type of music. 

24 minutes ago, PeterS said:

One day you might even wake up and realise the Rock City Angels is brilliant. 

Always enjoy this list. Usually closer to my tastes. 

https://rateyourmusic.com/list/huskerchief21/best-melodic-rock_metal_aor-albums-of-2018/

Rock City Angels are brilliant... at deep throating dog balls. ;)

That's a pretty cool list. Gets pretty eclectic pretty soon, though. Some interesting choices on there... 

• 2023 Gold Donors
38 minutes ago, PeterS said:

One day you might even wake up and realise the Rock City Angels is brilliant. 

Always enjoy this list. Usually closer to my tastes. 

https://rateyourmusic.com/list/huskerchief21/best-melodic-rock_metal_aor-albums-of-2018/

Ha! I have a shortcut to that list on my tablet as with his previous ones. Always loved lists with descriptions/comparisons.

On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 7:33 PM, Glen said:

if you like Dead Daisies you should listen to the new Motorjesus album.

Absolutely rocking but a bit late to make any list.

The only reason the The Dead Daisies made the list because I really like John Corabi. The CD was not as good as the the last one but I still I still thought it was good. But I did forget to add one other CD to the list John Corabi's Live 94 (One Night In Nashville). Loved hearing the Motley Crue album with him live. He sounded good.

I haven't heard the Motorjesus this year. I'll check it out sometime.

W.E.T.
Midnite City
Kissin Dynamite
Treat
Creye
Ammunition
Grand Design
Perfect Plan
Hearts On Fire
Hank Erix
Nitrate
White Widdow
Sunstorm
Nordic Union
Steelcity

• 2023 Gold Donors

Here's my top 5 in no particular order:

1.Stephen Pearcy-View To A Thrill

Probably had the best release last year with Smash and this one's as good if not better.

2.Ted Poley-Modern Art

And TMF was a top release from last year and this one is different but in a good way !

3.JK Northrup/David Cagle-That's Gonna Leave A Mark

JK always delivers !

4.Judas Priest-Firepwoer

This one comes out of the gate strong and never lets up.

5.Disturbed-Evolution

Their best release since Ten Thousand Fists.They got rid of the repetitive filler songs that has marred previous releases and added some texture to their songs.

On 12/24/2018 at 6:01 PM, Glen said:

Wishing everyone on HH a very happy Xmas. Loved all the news, gossip, chats & tips - such a great group of people with obviously impeccable taste in music 😉👍

Here are the 10 albums which ruled my life in 2018.

1. The Night Flight Orchestra

2. Don Vedda

3. Lebrock

4. Groundbreaker

5. Creye

6. Tremonti

7. WET

8. Treat

9. Shiraz Lane

10. Midnite City 

honourable mentions to :

deaf Havana, Vega, Tonight Alive, Ted Poley, Maverick, Steve Perry, Kissin Dynamite, White Widdow 

LeBrock is still my favorite and actually the only AOR/melodic release  that stood above my metal favorites from this year ( surprisingly enough 2 of them came from UK!). I even had to settle with the cd of The Midnight - Kids to skip playing the first 2 songs. 

For the record, I also still thought Lebrock was easily the standout of the year. My favourite EPs are;

1    .    LeBrock     -    Real Thing     -    91
2    .    TimeCop 1983     -    Night Drive     -    81
3    .    As We Once Were     -    Day in Day Out - EP     -    80
4    .    Summer Wars     -    Borrowed Time - EP     -    80
5    .    Boys of Fall     -    Chasing Lonely     -    79
6    .    American Secrets     -    Wasn't Our Season EP     -    78
7    .    Monster Eats Manhattan     -    Cages - EP     -    78
8    .    Caught In A Wave     -    High - EP     -    76
9    .    Assuming We Survive     -    Chapters - EP     -    75
10    .    Nerv     -    Bad Habits EP     -    75

Kinda harsh on Tony's Mitchell lp but I understand your mindset! First 8 songs are pure gold, but  dude had to fill that cd (btw, this is always  my biggest issue with that format) with 5 mediocre ones and one cool Japanese bonus. 

20 minutes ago, kourosofsteel3 said:

Kinda harsh on Tony's Mitchell lp but I understand your mindset! First 8 songs are pure gold, but  dude had to fill that cd (btw, this is always  my biggest issue with that format) with 5 mediocre ones and one cool Japanese bonus. 

I’m not sure who you refer to or how harsh they were on it, but I notice above that I threw a 69% on it. If I got around to re-rating that I reckon I’d have been closer to 59%. Very poor replay value, with it just sounding like the 59th Last Autumns Dream album to me the more I spin it. 

Daniel Trigger was another album I rated ok but had awful replay value if I were to revisit it. 

41 minutes ago, PeterS said:

Sleazeroxx giving me a whole load more to listen to. Probably should visit that site more during the year. 

Enjoying the Lazys this morning. 

http://sleazeroxx.com/best-of/sleaze-roxxs-top-ten-albums-of-2018/

The Lazys has a good vibe, but few standout songs for me. 'Young Modern Lightning' is a pretty excellent ballad, though. 

I had no idea Diemonds released another album this year...