Jump to content
mrbandwidth

Top-5 2018 (at the moment)

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Glen said:

Sorry mate but I don't get the love for Coup De Grace.

For sure there are a few killer tracks like Paper Tiger, No Way Without You, We Own the Night.

BUT, then there's the standard rocker All In, the throwaway Roar, the insipid ballad, the weird Skies of Mongolia, and the 'cover' I'm Not Runnin ;) (yes Treat, we already knew the Stanfour song which was better imo)

So all in (pardon the pun) there are at least 4 or 5 tracks on Coup that I will skip every time.

Arguably there are less tracks on the new album which I skip. Currently only best of Enemies..............

For me Progenitors, Always Have, Creeps, Build The Love, Riptide and Undefeated are all as good as anything on Coup.

 

I think there were a couple I skip on 'CDG' too, but it's just the variety and balance of songs overall I love. Hard melodic rockers, AOR, mid-tempo, ballads and significant differences from song to song. A great complete album. 

The problem with the last two albums is that the tempo is more or less the same across the entire two albums, riffs sound the same, verses are identical, the tempo never changes... it's okay because it's all good. But I'll take a great album with variety any time. 

For the record, 'Skies of Mongolia' is awesome despite it's odd lyrical direction (what, who said 'Progenitors?'), 'I'm not runnin' is a great song regardless of who records it and the "insipid ballad" is fine by me.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Geoff said:

I think there were a couple I skip on 'CDG' too, but it's just the variety and balance of songs overall I love. Hard melodic rockers, AOR, mid-tempo, ballads and significant differences from song to song. A great complete album. 

The problem with the last two albums is that the tempo is more or less the same across the entire two albums, riffs sound the same, verses are identical, the tempo never changes... it's okay because it's all good. But I'll take a great album with variety any time. 

For the record, 'Skies of Mongolia' is awesome despite it's odd lyrical direction (what, who said 'Progenitors?'), 'I'm not runnin' is a great song regardless of who records it and the "insipid ballad" is fine by me.  

I'd go back and listen to Coup again if I were you.

I listened to it this morning and the pacing is identical throughout with the exception of the insipid ballad and We Own The Night which is sublime and borders on AOR.

There's no more variety than on the new album.

But to each their own.

I think we are losing my original point which is Tunguska is a fine album, great songs throughout, and a killer production.

Easy top 10 for me :)

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Glen said:

I'd go back and listen to Coup again if I were you.

I listened to it this morning and the pacing is identical throughout with the exception of the insipid ballad and We Own The Night which is sublime and borders on AOR.

There's no more variety than on the new album.

But to each their own.

I think we are losing my original point which is Tunguska is a fine album, great songs throughout, and a killer production.

Easy top 10 for me :)

  

Love Tunguska and agree.....Better than Coup for me.

Not a single song on Tunguska I get the urge to skip past while there's 3-4 songs on Coup I skip.   And honestly, I'm not even sure what I'd say is my favorite song on Coup.  I'd probably say We Own The Night or Paper Tiger.  Don't get me wrong...I like Coup and it's a solid melodic rock album.  Just not much that overly stands out for me.  Part of my problem though might be that I was very late to the party on Coup and didn't go back to listen to it until after GOG had come out.  

There are probably 4-5 songs on Tuguska that I like better than my two favorite songs off Coup.

For me Tunguska is easily my favorite of the past 3 albums.  I'd rank them Tunguska, GOG, Coup.  All are basically 90+ albums for me though and a great collection of music.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

agree completely 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, tts42572 said:

Love Tunguska and agree.....Better than Coup for me.

My tastes differ from you guys on that comparison.  Tunguska is a good album and will probably make my top 10 for the year, but CDG has stronger songs, in my opinion.  If I want to listen to modern day Treat I will pick CDG over the last two.  I would even go so far to say that if I were making list of my favorites from the last 10 years CDG would easily make my top 10 while Tunguska likely wouldn't crack the top 50.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Crazysam said:

My tastes differ from you guys on that comparison.  Tunguska is a good album and will probably make my top 10 for the year, but CDG has stronger songs, in my opinion.  If I want to listen to modern day Treat I will pick CDG over the last two.  I would even go so far to say that if I were making list of my favorites from the last 10 years CDG would easily make my top 10 while Tunguska likely wouldn't crack the top 50.

everyone and their dog loves Coup ;)

going back to the original question do you think Tunguska is 'miles' behind Station, Nitrate and Hearts on Fire?? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Glen said:

going back to the original question do you think Tunguska is 'miles' behind Station, Nitrate and Hearts on Fire?? 

I am in agreement with you guys on that aspect. Tunguska ranks higher on my list than those other three,  which I found enjoyable as well.  Even when not at the top of their game, Treat is still at another level compared to most bands.  It would be hard for me to say their latest is 'miles' behind any album released this year.  

Edited by Crazysam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Glen said:

Sorry mate but I don't get the love for Coup De Grace.

For sure there are a few killer tracks like Paper Tiger, No Way Without You, We Own the Night.

BUT, then there's the standard rocker All In, the throwaway Roar, the insipid ballad, the weird Skies of Mongolia, and the 'cover' I'm Not Runnin ;) (yes Treat, we already knew the Stanfour song which was better imo)

So all in (pardon the pun) there are at least 4 or 5 tracks on Coup that I will skip every time.

Arguably there are less tracks on the new album which I skip. Currently only best of Enemies..............

For me Progenitors, Always Have, Creeps, Build The Love, Riptide and Undefeated are all as good as anything on Coup.

 

Easy to decide for me, I just look at what made my best of folder....


The War Is Over
Paper Tiger
Roar
A Life To Die For
Tangled Up
No Way Without You


Progenitors
Always Have, Always Will
Rose Of Jericho
Heartmath City
Build The Love
Riptide
All Bets Are Off
Undefeated
Tomorrow Never Comes
 

6 songs to nine. Even if I'd grade some of the CDG songs individually higher if I had to rate the songs by how much I like them, Tunguska would still pip it at the post.
In the end they're both great albums.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, CureTheSane said:

Easy to decide for me, I just look at what made my best of folder....


The War Is Over
Paper Tiger
Roar
A Life To Die For
Tangled Up
No Way Without You

 

No 'We own the night' song!! Am surprised. That's the best one on CDG! And one of the best mid tempo melodic songs of all time in MR genre.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think CDG sounds exactly how it should according to their age at that point in time and GOG and TUNGUSKA sounds exactly how they should sound according to their present age :lol:.With time they have changed their musical direction. I don't think they will ever make a fun upbeat song like 'No way without you' anymore. All 3 are great but I prefer CDG.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, sorry dudes, just not a close contest for me. CDG is home to 'Paper Tiger,' 'A life to die for,' 'Tangled Up,' 'Skies of Mongolia,' 'No way without you,' 'We own the night' and 'All for love' - all are absolute killers to me, and sorry Glen, but there is an abundance in song type/tempo/style in that lot. 

However, on the other hand, 'Tunguska' has... uh, um... well, nothing, really. 'Build the love' is my favourite, but I'm not jesting myself that it's on par with any of those songs from 'CDG' - no way. The rest of 'Tunguska' is all nice 7.5/10 type of stuff (except 'Best of enemies' which I don't really like) but I'm not having a lend of you folk; just polar opposite albums to me. 

'GOG' is a fine album and imo far more enjoyable than 'Tungsuka' - I like them in order of release. 

Anyway, as for whether Nitrate, Hearts On Fire and Station will rate higher than Treat in 2018, for me? My word they will. Because they all at least have a few killer tunes (especially Station) which the Treat album is missing probably more than any single other album I like in 2018. Yes it's a solid album, but I just need those few ball crackers on an album to make it really worthwhile to me. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ponen said:

No 'We own the night' song!! Am surprised. That's the best one on CDG! And one of the best mid tempo melodic songs of all time in MR genre.

For some reason lately I've found myself not being a fan of most of the songs that just about everyone else loves.

eg: Roxanne - Super Bad
I think this was the first single?
It is my 10th favourite song off the album.
It's growing a bit I guess...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Glen said:

everyone and their dog loves Coup ;)

And also, just to put that into context... you have to remember that Treat (with Ernlund) were not an active band for 21 years, and then all of a sudden they drop 'CDG' on us. If there is a single band in history that have released back to back killer albums, 21 years apart, then I'll carefully cut my balls from sack, cook them, and send them around to all my friends as a festive season delicacy.

What I mean to say, is if everyone thinks it's a pretty damn fine album, I think it sure as all heck deserves such accolades. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Geoff said:

Yeah, sorry dudes, just not a close contest for me. CDG is home to 'Paper Tiger,' 'A life to die for,' 'Tangled Up,' 'Skies of Mongolia,' 'No way without you,' 'We own the night' and 'All for love' - all are absolute killers to me, and sorry Glen, but there is an abundance in song type/tempo/style in that lot. 

 

is there??

yes you highlighted the 2 songs which i said differ. A ballad and an aor type song.

The rest of the album is all rockers. All samish tempo. 

Personally I thinks songs like Always Have, Undefeated, Creeps, Riptide, Build the Live  are just as good and virtually identical in style and pace to most of CDG. 

Anyway I transgress......the original point was Treat being miles behind things like Station etc and I think most would disagree.

For what it's worth.

To each their own. 

We like what we like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bad year for me so far. Although been buying lots of older cd's.

Not a hugh Soto fan so never got that one 

I see I don't have many cd's on top of most lists here.

Will expect Midnite City to move up into the top 5 but don't have it yet.

 

The only two I can say that I really enjoyed so far are:

Kissin' Dynamite - Ecstasy  & 7th Heaven - Color In Motion

Most other albums I have from this year are hit and miss: 

Ammunition, Bloody Heels, Brian Barnhouse, Bride, Gioeli - Castronovo, Lipz, The Night Flight Orchestra, Perfect Plan, Stryper, Ted Poley, TNT, Aldo Nova

And albums I am considering on getting are:  Skull Fist, Dynazty, Impellitteri, Fifth Angel, Osukaru, Michael Ross, Ten, Steve Perry, White Widdow, Maverick, Salems Lott

Pissed I haven't seen the album yet (or will I ever) that bands promoted:

Rockstars On Mars & Pretty Wild  - What happened to these guys?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With 1 month left to go in 2018, I've been refining my ratings and getting through some unrated material.

While I think there are a lot of very good albums this year, I don't know that the overall top end is as high as some recent years. No head-and-shoulders "debatable best of the last decade" quality material.

So... good year, not fantastic year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, heavyharmonies said:

With 1 month left to go in 2018, I've been refining my ratings and getting through some unrated material.

While I think there are a lot of very good albums this year, I don't know that the overall top end is as high as some recent years. No head-and-shoulders "debatable best of the last decade" quality material.

So... good year, not fantastic year.

I tend to agree with that. But there have been a lot of surprises for me. 

7th Heaven head an shoulders above everything else for me. 

Still can't believe quite how much I love the Tiffany and Kim Wilde albums.

The Fire Tiger also really spend a lot of time on my playlist. 

The Struts also really really enjoyable. 

Other than that I think I tend to agree with the general consensus. 
 

In the right mood the Steve Perry also a very very special piece of music. 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to re-rate everything worthwhile in the next few weeks but at the moment I have an 89%, two 85% and the rest is 82% or lower. A lot of nice, solid albums... but really light on any stand-outs for sure.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

White Widdow, Midnite City, Dan Reed Network, Starchase and finally Radio Sun, all their new ones which were released this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nothing else coming out this year that interests me, so this is pretty much my final list for 2018.
 
1.  Kamelot – The Shadow Theory
2.  Lordi – Sexorcism
3.  The Night Flight Orchestra – Sometimes The World Ain’t Enough
4.  Amaranthe – Helix
5.  Magnum – Lost On The Road To Eternity
6.  Beyond The Black – Heart Of The Hurricane
7.  Michael Romeo – War Of The Worlds Pt. 1
8.  Powerwolf – The Sacrament Of Sin
9.  Halestorm – Vicious
10. Lucifer – Lucifer II
 
11. Dynazty – Firesign
12. Black Mirrors – Look Into The Black Mirror
13. Issa – Run With The Pack
14. Northward – Northward
15. Nordic Union – Second Coming
16. W.e.t. – Earthrage
17. Ammuntion – Ammunition
18. Treat – Tunguska
19. Burning Witches – Hexenhammer
20. Ex Libris – Ann- Chapter 1
21. Enemy Inside – Phoenix
22. Kalidia – The Frozen Throne
23. Elvellon – Until dawn
24. Orange Goblin – The Wolf Bites Back
25. Graveyard – Peace
26. Shinedown – Attention Attention
27. Redemption – Long Night’s Journey Into Day
28. Amorphis – Queen Of Time
29. Wilson/Wakeman – The Sun Will Dance In It’s Twilight Hour
30. Revertigo – Revertigo
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, tobi is an animal said:
Nothing else coming out this year that interests me, so this is pretty much my final list for 2018.

Really? I'm looking at at least 3 potential top-5 contenders coming out in the last 3 weeks of 2018.

-Dan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, heavyharmonies said:

Really? I'm looking at at least 3 potential top-5 contenders coming out in the last 3 weeks of 2018.

-Dan

Who?
Palace
First Signal
Who am I missing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

magic Dance - released today! I will be spinning this morning. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh shit, sorry to burst your bubble, Dan, but Palace is absolute shit. Not average; not okay - but it's shit. As in it won't even be in my top 200 or so this year. :( Super, super disappointing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.