Jump to content
mrbandwidth

Top-5 2018 (at the moment)

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Geoff said:

I agree it's not that amazing, but Glen's never listening to it again is a bit drastic. And I agree with the posts about discarding average songs and only listening to the best. If I ever get around to it, I will have my entire collection sorted this way and "the album" will no longer exist... well, only in very few cases, where every single track is a gem. Hasn't happened this year yet.

I digress. I agree that Station isn't amazing, but like I said in my post where I listed it second behind Lebrock, I'm not really passionate about anything from 2018 except Lebrock. Station isn't great but it's much better than WET, in my opinion. :)

Not just better than W.E.T. "MUCH better??!!  Hilarious!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right so I rated Station and guess what? I was bang on the money 65%. Instincts are normally right. 

Here's a summary with thoughts -

1. I Won't Break Your Heart - 7.5 (pleasant but safe. A repetitive chorus is a bit meh)

2. Cost of the Sand - 6 (pretty dreary medium paced tune which is a bit overlong. what is Cost of the Sand anyway??)

3. More than the Moon - 8 (like the melody in this one. good tune but strained vocals)

4. I Don't Mind - 7.5 (God they ripped off the Jovi tune Shot Through The Heart. that aside I quite like this one. too long tho)

5. Lie to You - 5 (Jesus this drones on for 7 mins!!!! Zzzzz )

6. Easier Said Than Done - 5 (the whole song is too high for the singer. song isn't bad but I can't listen to it. skip)

7. Still The One - 7 (not sure about this one either? Sounds like a BJ reject. decent solo tho)

8. Losing You - 4 (urgh. 6.30. again. really weak ballad)

9. Always be a part of me - 7.5 (nice easy going melodic number but vocals are still dodgy)

10. Northpoint Sunset - 6 (decent laid back tune let down by a non existent chorus)

11. When I Come Undone - 8.5 (my fav tune on the album)

12. Walking Away - 6 (acoustic ballad to end. OK)

I think my main issues with this album are -

1. Weak vocalist.

2. Overlong songs

3. Poor ballads

having said that there's a pretty decent 80% ish EP in there if u take tracks 1, 3, 4, 9 & 11 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/30/2018 at 1:54 AM, Glen said:

I think my main issues with this album are -

1. Weak vocalist.

2. Overlong songs

3. Poor ballads

 

Yeah...never really liked the singer...and the guitar playing is also unimpressive especially the solos and riffs if I compare him to other guitarists of top melodic rock bands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm updating mine based on more time to have listened to what I have.
So far

Frank Hannon - From One Place...To Another! Vol. 1
Pop Evil - Pop Evil

Only 2 so far that I've really taken to

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/26/2018 at 1:06 PM, mrbandwidth said:

Time for an update:

1. W.E.T.

2. Shiraz Lane

3. No Sleep For Lucy

4. Vega

5. Station

Had pending that Maverick thing... and love it! So let's update:

1. W.E.T.

2. Shiraz Lane

3. No Sleep For Lucy

4. Vega

5. Maverick

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing done more than be OK for the last couple of months for me. Seems a real dry spell? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yep agreed.

My top 5 is still -

NFO

Don Vedda

Tremonti

WET

Vega

 

probably in that order as well.

Big shout out to the Lebrock EP as well. Shame they couldn't just release an album 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kissin' Dynamite is now in my top 5 so far
I'd say the new Five Finger Death Punch is as well.
And I'm not a massive FFDP fan. I worked hard to get into their music and it was worth it, but the new album is a cracker.

So mu current list is
Kissin' Dynamite - Ecstasy
Pop Evil - Pop Evil
Five Finger Death Punch - And Justice For None
Frank Hannon - From One Place...To Another! Vol. 1
Steel City - Fortress

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thanks....ill check all those out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 6:49 PM, lettard said:

Favs up to now...

W.E.T - Earthrage

Vega - Only Human

Steel City - Fortress

LeBrock - The Real Thing E.P

Shiraz Lane - Carnival Days

The Night Flight Orchestra - Sometimes The World Aint Enough

Others I liked but will not make the end of year list for sure are...

Station More Than The Moon

Volster - Perfect Storm

Grand Design - Viva La Paradise

Dangerous Curves - So Dirty Right

Maverick - Cold Star Dancer

Updated today and with the new releases from Niterate , Skull & Treat to come in the upcoming months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/8/2018 at 8:52 PM, mrbandwidth said:

Had pending that Maverick thing... and love it! So let's update:

1. W.E.T.

2. Shiraz Lane

3. No Sleep For Lucy

4. Vega

5. Maverick

 

Maverick has become my favorite listening for weeks, hence has scaled several posiitions; no more changes:

1. W.E.T.

2. Maverick

3. Shiraz Lane

4. No Sleep For Lucy

5. Vega

Also listened Kissin' Dynamite, Ted Poley and Night Flight Orchestra; like them but not enough to replace any above. Blame my ears. :nyanya:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think my top 5 at the moment are:

1.  Shiraz Lane

2.  Maverick

3.  W.e.t

4.  Kissin' Dynamite

5.  Station/Nitrate

I could see Kissin' Dynamite possibly moving up a notch with a few more listens as I'm loving that disc and it's been a grower.

I'm expecting Nordic Union and Midnite city could both push my top 5 by years end though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tts42572 said:

I think my top 5 at the moment are:

1.  Shiraz Lane

2.  Maverick

3.  W.e.t

4.  Kissin' Dynamite

5.  Station/Nitrate

I could see Kissin' Dynamite possibly moving up a notch with a few more listens as I'm loving that disc and it's been a grower.

I'm expecting Nordic Union and Midnite city could both push my top 5 by years end though. 

Great list. Not heard all of Nitrate in full(still waiting on my copy). Nordic Union, Find Me, First Signal, Midnite City, Palace,  Hearts On Fire still to come.  #1 W.E.T., #2 Kissin Dynamite is what I have so far listed. I really like the Ammunition. The Shiraz Lane is good and the Station is good, but with the impending albums to come I don't see them making top 10 for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I already need to revisit some of these in terms of current ratings, but this is how my current top 5 sits;

1. Ted Poley     -    Modern Art

2. Station     -    More Than The Moon

3. No Sleep for Lucy     -    Until the End

4. Don Vedda     -    Hell of a Night

5. Self Deception     -    Self Deception

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quick Update :)

W.E.T - Earthrage

Vega - Only Human

LeBrock - The Real Thing E.P

Nitrate - Real World *new entry  :)

Steel City - Fortress

The Night Flight Orchestra - Sometimes The World Aint Enough

Shiraz Lane - Carnival Days

Like the new Kissin Dynamite also but maybe not quite enough and Treat & Nordic Union plus probably a few more unannounced to come(fingers crossed for Catalano) as well as the new Midnite City...my 7 must become a 10 by December lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/15/2018 at 7:56 AM, Glen said:

yep agreed.

My top 5 is still -

NFO

Don Vedda

Tremonti

WET

Vega

 

probably in that order as well.

Big shout out to the Lebrock EP as well. Shame they couldn't just release an album 

mines unchanged. 

I am fully expecting these to fill out my top 10

Nordic Union 

Midnite City

First Signal

Care of Night 

Treat?? 

We'll see. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

oh and if Cats in Space makes it's December release that is a given

I also like Clif Magness and the Gioeli album.....both need more listens....they won't be top 10 tho.

I still need to hear Poley - wasn't massively raving about the singles tho. 

Interested in Creye, Groundbreaker as well 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, lettard said:

Quick Update :)

W.E.T - Earthrage

Vega - Only Human

LeBrock - The Real Thing E.P

Nitrate - Real World *new entry  :)

Steel City - Fortress

The Night Flight Orchestra - Sometimes The World Aint Enough

Shiraz Lane - Carnival Days

Like the new Kissin Dynamite also but maybe not quite enough and Treat & Nordic Union plus probably a few more unannounced to come(fingers crossed for Catalano) as well as the new Midnite City...my 7 must become a 10 by December lol.

Still to come:
Find Me
First Signal
Treat
Nordic Union
Midnite City
Heart's On Fire
Creye

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, The Rocker said:

Still to come:
Find Me
First Signal
Treat
Nordic Union
Midnite City
Heart's On Fire
Creye

 

plus Care of Night.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the Big Releases Lists, Glen + The Rocker, is useful to have our radars ready. Seems that this year is not going to be weak after all. Well, better for us!

Also don't forget Palace for your lists.

And about my Top-5, my ears have to admit that are enjoying Kissin' Dynamite more and more, so it's currently my number 6 and seriously menacing our favourite Vegans. :yikes:

(Have to check that Nitrate thing...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have Nitrate lined up for a listen on Spotify.

Something tells me it isn't going to live up to the hype. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Glen said:

I have Nitrate lined up for a listen on Spotify.

Something tells me it isn't going to live up to the hype. 

It's pretty good :)  I just really like the style and late 80's vibe....Definitely follows the Midnite City formula. 

Not sure it's really been hyped all that much though.  Frankly, I've barely seen it mentioned anywhere on most of the stuff I follow.  I've seen almost no reviews and wouldn't even really know about it if I weren't following Andrew on FB or through the mafia.  I know we can say that about many releases lol.....But to me it sort of feels like it's flying even more under the radar than some other stuff.

As for my top 5, it's changed from a few weeks ago....

1.  Shiraz Lane 

2.  Kissin' Dynamite - Moving up...Damn I love this album.... 

3.  Maverick

4.  W.e.t

5.  Nitrate - Just edging out Station at the moment because of too many ballads on Station :)

Honorable mention - Station, Halestorm, Perfect Plan, Dangerous Curves

I'm expecting Midnite City and Nordic Union could make some noise on this list by year end.  I suppose maybe Treat too.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, tts42572 said:

It's pretty good :)  I just really like the style and late 80's vibe....Definitely follows the Midnite City formula. 

Not sure it's really been hyped all that much though.  Frankly, I've barely seen it mentioned anywhere on most of the stuff I follow.  I've seen almost no reviews and wouldn't even really know about it if I weren't following Andrew on FB or through the mafia.  I know we can say that about many releases lol.....But to me it sort of feels like it's flying even more under the radar than some other stuff.

I thought the Nitrate album was pretty good as well.  I would also agree that it hasn't received too many comments/reviews, here or elsewhere, which is a shame as it is worth checking out, especially for those who liked Midnite City. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/6/2018 at 1:57 AM, Glen said:

plus Care of Night.

 

Man, I've missed a lot. When was this announced?? I'm a little worried with this release, though. They've lost a few key members. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.