Dallas - deal with AOR Blvd Records

Stefan

• 2 weeks later...

Got this Cd today and been through it a couple times...

Few good songs but overall not doing too much for me yet.....maybe it'll grow after more listens. It's almost like Rick Springfield meets Blue Tears meets Def Leppard.  Definitely has a late 80's/early 90's vibe.  Heck, feels like these songs might've been written and recorded back then.  

Production is a little strange....Lots of effects going on....Sometimes feels a little poppy with some of the effects.  Vocals seem pretty low in the mix sometimes and also strained. 

However, still not bad though.  I like the first 4 tracks with Bring The Light probably being the tune that stood out most, the ballad Close My Eyes is pretty good, Miles Away isn't bad and I kinda like one of the Japan bonus tracks, Forever.  The rest just sort of went under my radar.

Not bad though...I expect this to grow a bit as I do like the sound....well worth at least checking out.

On 8/28/2018 at 6:38 PM, tts42572 said:

Few good songs but overall not doing too much for me yet.....maybe it'll grow after more listens. It's almost like Rick Springfield meets Blue Tears meets Def Leppard.  Definitely has a late 80's/early 90's vibe.  Heck, feels like these songs might've been written and recorded back then.  

Production is a little strange....Lots of effects going on....Sometimes feels a little poppy with some of the effects.  Vocals seem pretty low in the mix sometimes and also strained. 

However, still not bad though.  I like the first 4 tracks with Bring The Light probably being the tune that stood out most, the ballad Close My Eyes is pretty good, Miles Away isn't bad and I kinda like one of the Japan bonus tracks, Forever.  The rest just sort of went under my radar.

Not bad though...I expect this to grow a bit as I do like the sound....well worth at least checking out.

Thanks for sharing your initial thoughts.  Your summation of the album is pretty much how I felt about these first two promo tracks.  I still plan to check out the full release, but with lowered expectations

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, kourosofsteel3 said:

Not on  Spotify yet... :crying:

I know. Why?? I've heard mixed reports on it anyway so not that fussed.

I refuse to purchase a CD these days unless I can preview first on Spotify.....too much dross out there 

7 hours ago, Glen said:

I know. Why?? I've heard mixed reports on it anyway so not that fussed.

I refuse to purchase a CD these days unless I can preview first on Spotify.....too much dross out there 

Personally, I think this is a skip.  Couple decent songs but really not very memorable IMO.

I'm not sure I've really given it much of a chance but I've listened a couple times and really haven't had any desire to go back to it.  

Probably going to be tossing mine on Ebay at some point when I get around to it.

• 1 month later...
On 8/29/2018 at 8:38 AM, tts42572 said:

Interesting thoughts. I'm not quite on the same page. 

For one, I think the songs are fantastic. Not every one is perfect, but, I can honestly say that every single song has at least one really, really awesome part. Whether it be the chorus, just a repeated verse hook or one of the dozen amazing pre-choruses on the album... every song has at least one part that makes you stop in your tracks. To me, that is the work of a guy who really knows what he's doing when he writes a song. 

I said it in another thread, but I think this would be my favourite album of the year... just because it's fresh; it's raw and the hooks and melodies are just so well executed. It's a really nice album, song-wise. However, the problem here is glaring.

These songs are basically just demos. I don't know how many different years and sessions are involved here, but I'd guess this is a collection of songs from about 5-10 years of this guy recording music, many with a different sound/production... and they're all thrown together on this album. 

It's not like the production is horrible, and the 5 songs from the previous EP sound pretty good, but there is evidently a quality missing to the production here. It's a real shame, because song-wise I absolutely love it. I still think this will be in my top 5 this year, but if these songs were all re-recorded in a single recording session with proper attention, who knows what this album would be. I hope to shit he records another one... with a good producer in a studio all nicely put together as a cohesive album. 

3 hours ago, Geoff said:

Interesting thoughts. I'm not quite on the same page. 

For one, I think the songs are fantastic. Not every one is perfect, but, I can honestly say that every single song has at least one really, really awesome part. Whether it be the chorus, just a repeated verse hook or one of the dozen amazing pre-choruses on the album... every song has at least one part that makes you stop in your tracks. To me, that is the work of a guy who really knows what he's doing when he writes a song. 

I said it in another thread, but I think this would be my favourite album of the year... just because it's fresh; it's raw and the hooks and melodies are just so well executed. It's a really nice album, song-wise. However, the problem here is glaring.

These songs are basically just demos. I don't know how many different years and sessions are involved here, but I'd guess this is a collection of songs from about 5-10 years of this guy recording music, many with a different sound/production... and they're all thrown together on this album. 

It's not like the production is horrible, and the 5 songs from the previous EP sound pretty good, but there is evidently a quality missing to the production here. It's a real shame, because song-wise I absolutely love it. I still think this will be in my top 5 this year, but if these songs were all re-recorded in a single recording session with proper attention, who knows what this album would be. I hope to shit he records another one... with a good producer in a studio all nicely put together as a cohesive album. 

This was an album that I just seemed to find myself liking less the more played it. 

It was strange...kept feeling like I should've liked it more than I was as it had all the elements I normally like.  I think a big part of it was the demo quality feel like you mention.  And the vocals bothered me a bit with how screamy they were in parts.  Also was put off a bit by some of the poppy effects. 

It does start off pretty good with the first few songs and the ballad is pretty good....but for me it just tailed off quickly in the second half and really didn't find myself having any desire to return to it.  I sold off my CD and didn't even want to keep it.

I do think the production impacted my views here.  There's some good songs and potential but production and vocals just knocked it off my radar.  I don't think it's helped either that I've had a lot of good new stuff to listen to in the past couple months that really just tossed this on the back burner quickly.

On 11/2/2018 at 2:24 AM, tts42572 said:

This was an album that I just seemed to find myself liking less the more played it. 

It was strange...kept feeling like I should've liked it more than I was as it had all the elements I normally like.  I think a big part of it was the demo quality feel like you mention.  And the vocals bothered me a bit with how screamy they were in parts.  Also was put off a bit by some of the poppy effects. 

It does start off pretty good with the first few songs and the ballad is pretty good....but for me it just tailed off quickly in the second half and really didn't find myself having any desire to return to it.  I sold off my CD and didn't even want to keep it.

I have to admit, the screaming vocals (which are pretty infrequent, aren't they?) actually really appeal to me more than anything. To me it oozes a passion this guy has for his songs that tickles both my ballsack and my eardrums. His "screams" at the end of 'Close my eyes' are more or less one of my favourite parts on the album. I genuinely get why people would dislike it and wouldn't begrudge someone for not being into it, but for me it just bleeds passion and there's nothing I personally love more than an artist who is crazy passionate about his/their songs, because it shows in the end product. :)

Anyway, funny you say the album suffered from a weak second half as I personally thought the second half was stronger than the first. :)