VEGA - Only Human

Stefan

only one spin so far but sounding v nice.

The last 2 were a nice surprise as the album ends on a high imo.

perhaps a song or 2 too long?? but tbh I only found perhaps 1 song which didn't hold my interest do it's consistent .

Production sounded a bit thin after listening to the new Tremonti single but that's hardly surprising. It' probably better soundwise than the last album but not as punchy as albums 2 & 3.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Glen said:

only one spin so far but sounding v nice.

The last 2 were a nice surprise as the album ends on a high imo.

perhaps a song or 2 too long?? but tbh I only found perhaps 1 song which didn't hold my interest do it's consistent .

Production sounded a bit thin after listening to the new Tremonti single but that's hardly surprising. It' probably better soundwise than the last album but not as punchy as albums 2 & 3.

Yeah, Go to War has hooks to cause the 6th mass extinction. Energetic like Explode. 

Enjoying this one thus far,starts off brilliant then as stated a slight lull before exploding again with some fine tracks to finish off the disc,but overall really enjoying it...will get a better listen tomorrow when I'm off work and can crank it louder at home :)

I absolutely disagree with this comment. I've been through this about 5-10 times and every track is great with some very clever hooks. 

There are at least 6 absolute gems which compare to anything on back albums. 

54 minutes ago, PeterS said:

Really like this but that radio intro and exit is freaking annoying. 

really? guys of FB were moaning as well. doesn't bother me that much. it' pretty short. 

11 hours ago, Glen said:

I absolutely disagree with this comment. I've been through this about 5-10 times and every track is great with some very clever hooks. 

There are at least 6 absolute gems which compare to anything on back albums. 

Yeah, I'm gonna stand by my comment.  Nothing special.

And that radio intro is really annoying.

2 hours ago, Tabe said:

Yeah, I'm gonna stand by my comment.  Nothing special.

And that radio intro is really annoying.

to each their own but I'm scratching my head as this just sounds like Vega to me.

very cool album.

10 hours ago, Glen said:

really? guys of FB were moaning as well. doesn't bother me that much. it' pretty short. 

I'd rather it not be there, but doesn't bother me(that much)!?

41 minutes ago, The Rocker said:

I'd rather it not be there, but doesn't bother me(that much)!?

what happens in Vega, stays in Vega 

Love the disc and yes I could've done without that dodgy radio intro on "Last Man Standing" but it just reminds me of the dodgy radio intro into Tigertailz track "Noize Level Critical" from Bezerk,I suppose they both add a bit of a fun element to the tracks,I mean I fondly relisten back to Tigertailz after all these years and chuckle when the intro plays lol :)

At the end of the day this is just Vega sounding like Vega to me,which suits me just fine,I want Vega to sound like Vega because they are quality to my ears.

Edited by lettard

Been listening to this none stop all week now. This truly is an excellent piece of music, to these ears.  I'll be coming back to this one time and again. I've liked Vega in the past but never put them on the pedestal some here have them on. This may be the album to change that.  

Tigertailz slightly different level of seriousness? It's just crap unnecessary corniness . It's like complaining Olivia Wilde has a mole on her ankle though. The main product is flawless. 

On 4/10/2018 at 3:00 PM, KarpetRydOFunk said:

I just can't get into this band. I've tried every album, and every time I'm left wondering what has you lot blowing your collective load over it. They don't suck -- I would never say that -- but I still don't get the love. Not to the extent you give. Oh, well. Once again, it's just another album I don't have to purchase. 

I'm kinda the same, but to be fair I really haven't given them a fair go.
Less keys would please me more, but that's just a personal preference.
Agree with all the drum comments. Makes the songs sound a lot 'lighter'

I really hate being the production guy, but it just annoys me. The production job is okay to adequate and best... but why? Why is - arguably - the best band in "our genre" getting by on okay to adequate production jobs? Jeez the drums are thin. Thin, weak... tinny - take your pick. 

I don't know if it irritates me more than others, but these days all my music is on my Ipod and everything is played back to back. And listening to a lot of modern rock too, these scabby production jobs stick out like sore thumbs. There is no such thing as poor production in modern rock (and to be honest, most of "our stuff" too) - it all sounds amazing, production wise. 

Songwise and musically, I love this album. It's possibly one of my favourite Vega albums so far - possibly top three. The middle of the album is belter after belter. Great stuff... except the production/drums. 

Anyway, that's it for now. Early days. Very good album, but they need to get this production sorted out, seriously. 

I don' think the production is that bad. WET is better but this is perfectly OK.

As stated the hooks are stacked high. As usual ;)

Gave this a try, first couple tracks in and I thought it had potential.  However,  starting with track 4 things got a bit patchy for me.  Thankfully, the last two tracks salvaged things. So,  I figure I can make a solid EP with the tracks I enjoyed.  

4 hours ago, Crazysam said:

Gave this a try, first couple tracks in and I thought it had potential.  However,  starting with track 4 things got a bit patchy for me.  Thankfully, the last two tracks salvaged things. So,  I figure I can make a solid EP with the tracks I enjoyed.  

stick with it - those middle tracks are massive growers 

7 hours ago, Glen said:

I don' think the production is that bad. WET is better but this is perfectly OK.

As stated the hooks are stacked high. As usual ;)

I agree mate, and that's my issue. These guys are one of the highest regarded bands in our entire genre... kind of "flag flyers" for the scene. So why are they settling for a production that is not that bad? And perfectly OK? Why aren't they recording albums with excellent production jobs, worthy of their music? It's 2018 - not hard to get a very well produced album out there, it seems. So why are these guys missing the bus? 

I've given this a couple of listens, and my reaction is the same as it was to the last Vega album: this is a band that based upon my musical preferences, I *SHOULD* love... but I just don't. This band does nothing for me at all. The songs just don't resonate for some reason. There's no staying power with any of their releases... They bore me.

*shrug*

I'll be honest and I do truly believe that the production job puts some "fencers" off. Let's be honest. If you don't like their songs, you probably favour schlongs in dark rooms... we know that's not the thing. So what else is it? Maybe the vocals? I guess there's handbag carriers that could be put off by the vocals, even though I personally love them. But what if it's something more subliminal that puts some punters off? 

Back to back with a modern rock albums - take your pick of any release this year... but let's say, for example, the new Blessthefall album or something. It could literally be anything. You play that album back to back with Vega, and sadly, Vega just  sounds like polished demos. 

If this album had a world class production job, I have no doubt it would be a lot easier to view them on par with any and all others... and then naturally, because their songs are awesome... you'd view them above the schmucks below them. 

But until they can get a decent production job on their side, they're just mixing with the amateurs. :( Sadly.