When did companies start putting out releases on cassette tape again?

I know there has been a resurgence for releasing albums on vinyl for quite awhile now, but I was unaware that companies had started issuing them in cassette format. I noticed the new Lynch Mob was going to be available, albeit in limited quantities, on cassette tape via Rat Pak Records. I'll admit I still have a handful of cassette tapes in my collection, mostly a few demos, indies and harder to find releases. I used to primarily buy them in the 80's so I could play in my car. But now a days it seems like a complete waste of time and money to be issuing in this format. Was just curious if anyone else had seen this for other releases or had any thoughts on why a company or band would even bother doing so.

02.jpg?1499725967

Lynch Mob "The Brotherhood" Limited print cassette tape (pre-order)

It's been going on for a couple of years now. Not sure when it started exactly but I first became aware of it when bands like Testament and Death Angel's most recent releases were available as "limited edition" cassettes.

I can sorta understand the gotta-catch-em-all collector appeal, but tapes were a crap format the first time around and I didn't miss them when they were gone, so I'm not getting on the bandwagon.

What's next, the return of 8 tracks? How'bout Edison wax cylinders? :rofl2:

I'm glad they are making a comeback....I had over 500 before I moved and much to my surprise was able to sell the whole lot to a store called the Dupe Shop (https://www.duplication.ca/dupeshop/)...I didn't have the patience to try to sell them on eBay so I figured I would have to toss them...I hope to never see another cassette again lol...

Thanks for the replies to my post,

I had over 500 before I moved and much to my surprise was able to sell the whole lot to a store called the Dupe Shop (https://www.duplication.ca/dupeshop/)....

I'm glad to hear you were able to get all those sold in one transaction. I had disposed of a lot of mine over the years as I assumed there was no market for most of them but it looks like I was wrong.

Shadow Kingdom has been doing it for years.

I went to the Shadow Kingdom site and you're right they look to have issued many of their releases in cassette format

Oh the memories of hunting around bootlegs at car boot sales and the ability to copy stuff from your mates. Tape was a great format in it's day.

I too have fond memories of trading bootlegs with friends. That ability to record, before cd and digital file formats, was another reason to use cassettes back then.

It's been going on for a couple of years now. I can sorta understand the gotta-catch-em-all collector appeal

I hadn't noticed it before but good point with regards to the collector appeal. If there is a market for it companies will be more than willing to fill it.

I've been quietly re-collecting the cassette tapes I had from my youth for years now.

I foolishly gave away my collection of tapes when I finally made the complete transition to CD's back in late 1992. I wish I still had my originals... LOTS of great history and stories behind many of them. Like LOVE AT FIRST STING by the Scorpions. My buddies Danny, Jim and I rode our bikes to the Mall after school back in 1984 to buy that one. It was a long bike ride, too. Like 5 miles or so each way. We each listened to the new release on our Walkman stereos on the way home. My gosh, that was more than 33 years ago, but remember it perfectly!

Or IRON MAIDEN - NUMBER OF THE BEAST and SCORPIONS - TOKYO TAPES. Received both of those for Christmas 1982, along with a Hacky Sack. I still have that damn kick bag in like new condition. And then there's KROKUS - HEADHUNTER. I bought that one at the Navy Exchange shortly after moving to San Diego just before my sophomore year of high school in 1983. Sometimes the stupid shit I remember amazes me :)

• My Little Pony

I've been quietly re-collecting the cassette tapes I had from my youth for years now.

I foolishly gave away my collection of tapes when I finally made the complete transition to CD's back in late 1992. I wish I still had my originals... LOTS of great history and stories behind many of them. Like LOVE AT FIRST STING by the Scorpions. My buddies Danny, Jim and I rode our bikes to the Mall after school back in 1984 to buy that one. It was a long bike ride, too. Like 5 miles or so each way. We each listened to the new release on our Walkman stereos on the way home. My gosh, that was more than 33 years ago, but remember it perfectly!

Or IRON MAIDEN - NUMBER OF THE BEAST and SCORPIONS - TOKYO TAPES. Received both of those for Christmas 1982, along with a Hacky Sack. I still have that damn kick bag in like new condition. And then there's KROKUS - HEADHUNTER. I bought that one at the Navy Exchange shortly after moving to San Diego just before my sophomore year of high school in 1983. Sometimes the stupid shit I remember amazes me :)

Damn. It amazes me, too.

Damn. It amazes me, too.

And you gotta believe me when I tell you I don't even scratch the surface of the storytelling of my youth here :)

Great stories man, love that type of stuff. Should be a scene in an 80s movie or book :D riding your bike to the mall, classic

Probably just a short trend, last news I read is that vinyl sales is slowly fading away, perhaps peak in the last year or two, so maybe this one isn't gonna last longer

Well hopefully CD sales is still the same so at least Japan still want to produce it in the next few years to come

• My Little Pony

Probably just a short trend, last news I read is that vinyl sales is slowly fading away, perhaps peak in the last year or two, so maybe this one isn't gonna last longer

Well hopefully CD sales is still the same so at least Japan still want to produce it in the next few years to come

Somebody posted an article -- probably in the Melodic Mafia group -- about how CD sales is still where artists make most of their money -- apart from merch -- even though digital sales make up the majority of actual units sold. Very interesting.