Modern albums that sound like the ''real thing''

simo

Let's get a discussion going again, shall we..... inspiration for this is the latest thread about Boulevard releasing a new album after 27 years. I listened to the track they released and - as expected - it sounds very different from the first two records. Many years ago I realized and accepted that new material by old bands won't sound the same as they did in the 80s and 90s, whether it's the songs themselves or just the production and overall sound of an album. For example old bands that released material very different from their classic albums are Ratt with ''Infestation'', Dokken's last two albums, Mötley with ''Saints of Los Angeles'' or the last few Whitesnake albums. Which brings me to my question:

Do you guys know of any bands that managed to release an album - let's say after the year 2000 - that sounds like it could have been released during that band's or performers heyday? One band that comes to mind that pulled it off is not an old but a new one: Sonic Station. Their 2012 debut actually sounds like it could have legitimately been released in the early 90s. Hope you know of some other examples and hopefully from old bands as well

Interesting topic, I'll give it some further thought and come up with a few. I will initially say that I disagree a bit with you, as I felt that Dokken's Lightning Strikes Again, Whitesnake's Good To Be Bad and Ratt's Infestation were actually albums that did a good job of returning to form for those respective bands.

Interesting topic, I'll give it some further thought and come up with a few. I will initially say that I disagree a bit with you, as I felt that Dokken's Lightning Strikes Again, Whitesnake's Good To Be Bad and Ratt's Infestation were actually albums that did a good job of returning to form for those respective bands.

I dunno, maybe I'll agree that on ''Lightning Strikes Again'' Jon Levin does sound like George Lynch alot, but those albums you and I mentioned don't line in with the bands' previous efforts seamlessly. The Whitesnake albums sound waaaay ''fatter'' than the 1987 s/t or ''Slip of the Tongue'' for example

I remembered a different one, also a new band: Smokin Aces and their song ''You Take My Breath Away'' also sounds very early 90s to me, almost an Aerosmith Pump / Get A Grip vibe to it

Would be nice to get gener8tr's view on this whole thing...

Ok, I see where you are coming from, thanks for adding your additional thoughts. I was looking at it more from the style of music and the songs themselves. Adding in the sound or production makes it quite a bit tougher, but I'm sure I will come up with a few.

I dunno, maybe I'll agree that on ''Lightning Strikes Again'' Jon Levin does sound like George Lynch alot, but those albums you and I mentioned don't line in with the bands' previous efforts seamlessly. The Whitesnake albums sound waaaay ''fatter'' than the 1987 s/t or ''Slip of the Tongue'' for example

I remembered a different one, also a new band: Smokin Aces and their song ''You Take My Breath Away'' also sounds very early 90s to me, almost an Aerosmith Pump / Get A Grip vibe to it

I'm happy to chime-in as I have NO problem admitting I am VERY old-school (Old's Cool) concerning my musical tastes, and WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY more times than not find myself turned-off by many of my favorite bands from the 80's who have new releases.

I have been pleasantly surprised by a few recent releases that harken back to days gone by... I absolutely love FM's "Indiscreet 30" and the latest Harem Scarem album. Neither of which are incredibly 80's sounding, per say, but have a certain charm that makes me feel like I'm back in high school again.

Another I loved from a few years back is Nelson's "Lighting Strikes Twice." SO damn good, and I still find myself pulling it off the shelf for a regular listen. I also played the living hell out of Treat's "Coup De Grace," but that one's an exception rather than a norm... doesn't sound 80's at all, and includes very modern twists, but it's just so darn good there's really no way for me to dislike it, even though going in I fully expected a train wreck (I'm never afraid or too proud to admit when I'm wrong).

For me, one of the biggest problems with today's music isn't always the music itself, but rather the mastering. For the life of me I do not understand why almost everything now-a-days is cut so damn hot and compressed to the point it's simply not enjoyable. I fully realize there are FAR more people listening to music on a iPod or smartphone in 2017 than on a turntable... I can only tell those of y'all who think you're getting great sound from your Samsung Galaxy that you are sorely missing-out. Listen to a Steely Dan album on vinyl and you may never listen to digital music again.

Anyway, I'll have to take a look at some of the CD's I've purchased the past decade or so and report back. Cool topic.

• My Little Pony

It's been a minute since I listened to it, so I might be remembering it wrong, but Damn Cheetah comes to mind.

I HATED the sound of 'Good To Be Bad' ... mind you, I haven't really been a fan of anything that ol' Coverdale has put out since 'Slide It In', so I'm probably not the best person to comment ...

Turning the question around, one artist whose later albums I much prefer over their 'classic' material is Sammy Hagar ... his songs sound so much better with modern production than the stuff he was putting out in the 70s and early 80s ...

Danger Danger - Revolve

Haven't listened to that one since it came out so will have to check it out again. But I think I remember it sounding rather ''modern''

New band Enforcer sounds like an authentic NWOBHM or thrash band from the 80s, only problem is I don't like that style :D

If we're talking ALL new "albums" that sound as though they were to be released in the 80's versus only 80's bands that have new releases (God that's terrible English), that opens a giant can of worms!

SO many great albums released the past decade plus that sound as though they could have been released during the 80's hey-days. I need to peruse my CD list and post. More coming from me on this topic... including some additional bitching regarding DIGITAL vs ANALOG recording. For me, this is THE root of the problem (and it's a major problem).

I'm sure Protools (et al) with individual band members recording their individual "parts" scattered across the nether regions of the globe is easier and more convenient than bringing five guys together and reporting to a recording studio in Los Angeles for six straight months, but the sound has suffered... badly!

Danger Danger - Revolve

Haven't listened to that one since it came out so will have to check it out again. But I think I remember it sounding rather ''modern''

New band Enforcer sounds like an authentic NWOBHM or thrash band from the 80s, only problem is I don't like that style :D

It is not modern in any way.

• My Little Pony

It's been a minute since I listened to it, so I might be remembering it wrong, but Damn Cheetah comes to mind.

So I listened to it...

Damn Cheetah comes to mind!!

So I listened to it...

Damn Cheetah comes to mind!!

I agree, that Damn Cheetah album would have fit with albums from that era. When I first heard it I thought it was a reissue of an indie release or something

CrashDiet!

Good one, especially Rest in Sleaze was very reminiscent to late 80's/early 90's sleaze/glam albums, comparable to early Tigertailz in style and sound

Yeah. Meant to say Rest In Sleaze was pure 80's.

• 2023 Gold Donors

I guess the obvious ones would be,

The Defiants

Tokyo Motor Fist

Also Vain - Rolling with the punches

And by the sounds of the single "Speed", The new L. A. Guns looks promising.