H.E.A.T - Into The Great Unknown

Stefan

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only share this review because it's the first one I've seen that talks about the Japan bonus track FYI Miley....

Review says:

The Japanese edition has a great bonus track, FYI Miley. A smoking rocker of a song, it is by far the best song on the album and a good reason for everybody to track down the Japanese edition.

https://roppongirocks.com/2017/09/01/album-review-h-e-a-t-into-the-great-unknown/

Damn it....Now I'll probably have to get the Japan version. Outside of the obvious with bands always putting good tracks as bonus tracks....one little thing that always annoys me with Japan CD's as that they're never encoded in English so the track titles never show up on my radio screens. Just a little OCD thing that most could probably care less about but I'll usually re-burn these things myself.

Shit that annoys me cos it won't even be on Spotify.

Couple unofficial songs posted on you Tube....not sure how long these will be around although both these songs were in the stream that broke earlier.

Blind Leads The Blind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erbgdxw_BkE&sns=em

Eye Of The Storm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gXY1TtGeNw

Two great tunes IMO and hoping they officially release BLTB.

Jeez that pre-chorus in 'Blind leads the blind' is a bit weird, but otherwise it's a great song. HEAT at their best. Very catchy chorus. You sure you like it, Glen? They drop the f-bomb a couple of times. ;)

'Eye of the storm' is indeed a fine ballad. Yum.

Have heard this whole album through a friend...Won't say too much about it but have to say a little....

I like it plenty and definitely a lot going on in these songs which some may like and others may find cheesy or over-produced. Personally, I'm finding it all pretty interesting to listen to due to all the variety and it's catchy as heck.

I think at the end of the day there will be opinions all over the board on this because it's a bit different. That said, it really reminds me a lot of Def Leppard back in the 80's and what they did with Hysteria in terms of trying to make a more commercialized album and experimenting with production. I clearly remember many fans calling them pop sellouts or whatever and I can see people saying that about this album. I think H.e.a.t's catalog has always been pretty varied though especially over the past couple albums.

There isn't as much up tempo rock here as TDTW had, but it's still a good ride and is more varied. I do think this is basically a combination of the past couple albums with some unexpected twists that gives it a fresh feel.

If I had one complaint, I think I would've liked at least one more outright rocker a the end of the album either before or after the title track. However, the Japan version might fix that as FYI Miley sounds like it might be a burner :)

Overall, pretty awesome though and will unsurprisingly rank high on my 2017 list :guitar:

Couple unofficial songs posted on you Tube....not sure how long these will be around although both these songs were in the stream that broke earlier.

Blind Leads The Blind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erbgdxw_BkE&sns=em

Eye Of The Storm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gXY1TtGeNw

Two great tunes IMO and hoping they officially release BLTB.

Looks like these were killed already.

Jeez that pre-chorus in 'Blind leads the blind' is a bit weird, but otherwise it's a great song. HEAT at their best. Very catchy chorus. You sure you like it, Glen? They drop the f-bomb a couple of times. ;)

The difference is you believe Erik.

Really? Love the dude, but he looks a bit... un-tough, shall we say. I'd say the Santa Cruz guys are prettier, but also meaner looking. Yeah, I think I believe the Santa Cruz dude more than Erik. Though, Erik does have that mohawk... indicates he could have a bit of a mean streak. Damn, all these boyz are sooo nazzty. I believe them all. Fuck yeah.

Really? Love the dude, but he looks a bit... un-tough, shall we say. I'd say the Santa Cruz guys are prettier, but also meaner looking. Yeah, I think I believe the Santa Cruz dude more than Erik. Though, Erik does have that mohawk... indicates he could have a bit of a mean streak. Damn, all these boyz are sooo nazzty. I believe them all. Fuck yeah.

I was talking within the concept of the song.

Not sure what you are on about, but if you fancy the Cruz guys don't let me stop you ;)

Not sure what you are on about, but if you fancy the Cruz guys don't let me stop you ;)

I do fancy them. They're really quite handsome/pretty.

I do fancy them. They're really quite handsome/pretty.

:gone:

Back to the album...... I couldn't resist and checked it out, got mixed feelings about it for sure. Aside from ''Time On Our Side'' there's a few other tracks with a ''weird'' vibe to them (or at least certain parts of the songs) like ''Do You Want It'' for example. Also the lack of solos or longer solos doesn't leave a lot of redeeming qualities for me..... was especially curious about the album-closing title track and while it starts off with a nice groove, the whole song (after 1 listen, mind you) falls flat.

Unlike most people I'm not too crazy about Eye and Blind...so at the moment my favorite song by far is Redefined. This might be the first initial ''shock'' cause a lot of it is unexpected and might grow over time but for now I'm a little underwhelmed. But Redefined proves that this new ''style'' can work, maybe they just haven't perfected the formula yet

Back to the album...... I couldn't resist and checked it out, got mixed feelings about it for sure. Aside from ''Time On Our Side'' there's a few other tracks with a ''weird'' vibe to them (or at least certain parts of the songs) like ''Do You Want It'' for example. Also the lack of solos or longer solos doesn't leave a lot of redeeming qualities for me..... was especially curious about the album-closing title track and while it starts off with a nice groove, the whole song (after 1 listen, mind you) falls flat.

Unlike most people I'm not too crazy about Eye and Blind...so at the moment my favorite song by far is Redefined. This might be the first initial ''shock'' cause a lot of it is unexpected and might grow over time but for now I'm a little underwhelmed. But Redefined proves that this new ''style'' can work, maybe they just haven't perfected the formula yet

After multiple listens now, I'm not even sure there really is all that much of a new "style". Yeah, Time On Our Side is a bit different and that threw everyone for a loop as the first single....But I just view that song as sort of an up tempo ballad. I agree about Do You Want It.....Didn't need that whole falsetto thing or whatever it is but the song is still pretty catchy. Really though, they're just using production like they did on songs like Mannequin Show, Enemy In Me, Downtown, etc. They've just taken the production up a notch on many of these songs which is kinda the same thing they did on TDTW compared with ATN....TDTW was bolder, more commercial, bigger production.....They've just done those same things again IMO.

I view Time On Our Side, We Rule and Do You Want It as sort of the experiment songs that made me scratch my head at first....but they're growing on me for their variety in the context of the album.

I'm probably bias....I've really loved the past couple albums and the direction they've went with the "Gronwall version" of H.e.a.t so maybe not the most impartial judge lol. I think Erik shines on this album though and after a few listens it's really feeling more massive to me.

I really do think they made a poor choice with the first single being Time On Our Side. With that song and the album title, I think it's really gotten people thinking they're going some whole, new direction. After hearing the whole album though, I really don't think it's all that different of a direction...It's still a melodic rock album that doesn't feel all that different than what they've done on the past couple albums with just some new wrinkles tossed in.

I expect many different opinions though as there is a lot going on in some of these songs.

After multiple listens now, I'm not even sure there really is all that much of a new "style". Yeah, Time On Our Side is a bit different and that threw everyone for a loop as the first single....But I just view that song as sort of an up tempo ballad. I agree about Do You Want It.....Didn't need that whole falsetto thing or whatever it is but the song is still pretty catchy. Really though, they're just using production like they did on songs like Mannequin Show, Enemy In Me, Downtown, etc. They've just taken the production up a notch on many of these songs which is kinda the same thing they did on TDTW compared with ATN....TDTW was bolder, more commercial, bigger production.....They've just done those same things again IMO.

I view Time On Our Side, We Rule and Do You Want It as sort of the experiment songs that made me scratch my head at first....but they're growing on me for their variety in the context of the album.

I'm probably bias....I've really loved the past couple albums and the direction they've went with the "Gronwall version" of H.e.a.t so maybe not the most impartial judge lol. I think Erik shines on this album though and after a few listens it's really feeling more massive to me.

I really do think they made a poor choice with the first single being Time On Our Side. With that song and the album title, I think it's really gotten people thinking they're going some whole, new direction. After hearing the whole album though, I really don't think it's all that different of a direction...It's still a melodic rock album that doesn't feel all that different than what they've done on the past couple albums with just some new wrinkles tossed in.

I expect many different opinions though as there is a lot going on in some of these songs.

Yeah forgot ''We Rule'' which gave me kind of a Queen vibe

Have to say that *for me* is their weakest album. I prefer Erik's era over Kenny's but this one does few for me. I don't hate it either.

Surprisingly I find 'Time On Our Side' to be OKish.

Favourite track: 'Eye Of The Storm'

And in 'We Rule', although the song is not bad, the <<...Together! ...Forever! >> :rant: Seriously, that should be forbidden for all bands *together* now on and *forever* -pun intended-.

I find it annoying as hell when the singer tries to act all ''tough'', the singing is fine but sometimes he says or screams something ad-lib and it's just not credible but rather silly I think

One song in particular has this can't remember which one but one of the 5 from the podcast

He's also been a bit cringeworthy live on the TDTW tour, compared to previously. I did laugh though when he spat up into the air, intending to catch it in his mouth, and it landed straight on his eye :D

Kenny is still the better of the two vocalists for me, and the gap sadly only gets bigger as the newer albums are released.

It's a shame as he really, really impressed me on Address the nation.

Wow. I thought he and the band were amazing live on TDTW tour

Agree. I saw them and thought it was one of the best live shows I've seen. I'd love to see these guys on a big stage with Def Leppard like video screens and production.

We've been over this issue many times of Kenny vs Erik....both excellent singers and always people the like Kenny better, or Erik better, or both of them....Or neither of them.

I much prefer Erik and for me it isn't even close. I really don't even know if Kenny's voice would work for some of the songs they've done on the past couple albums. I mean, IMO Kenny's voice wasn't built for songs like Inferno, Bastard of Society, Blind Leads The Blind, etc. Mostly, I found Kenny pretty bland and really can't even listen to the first two albums anymore...not to mention Erik's stage presence blow's Kenny away IMO.

All a matter of taste though. Kenny could definitely sing, as can Erik. They just bring different styles to the table.