Midnite City

Mr.AOR

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, Glen said:

young fellas lol ? 

lol, yeah, I guess not really. But you know what I mean. Fresh band on the scene... "young" band - as in new... hasn't been around long? Yep, okay, so let's face it. They're grandfathers, but it's still a great album. ;) 

2 minutes ago, Geoff said:

lol, yeah, I guess not really. But you know what I mean. Fresh band on the scene... "young" band - as in new... hasn't been around long? Yep, okay, so let's face it. They're grandfathers, but it's still a great album. ;) 

Yeah Pete Newdeck is older than me I reckon.

Ive only listened to this album twice and I do really like it........................but

1. After the killer first riff and song, the other songs are all a bit samey - consistently good but samey nonetheless

2. I thoroughly enjoyed listening to it but could not remember one song afterwards - might improve with further listens, although I do think there are more memorable albums this year

3. Its a bit toooo White Widdow for me - in terms of simplistic songs. Nothing ground breaking here that's for sure.

Having said that it will definitely be top 10 for me.

Just not sure how high ;)

[and being British based, I very much look forward to seeing them as PN has already confirmed they are looking at London dates :) ]

46 minutes ago, Glen said:

Yeah Pete Newdeck is older than me I reckon.

Ive only listened to this album twice and I do really like it........................but

1. After the killer first riff and song, the other songs are all a bit samey - consistently good but samey nonetheless

2. I thoroughly enjoyed listening to it but could not remember one song afterwards - might improve with further listens, although I do think there are more memorable albums this year

3. Its a bit toooo White Widdow for me - in terms of simplistic songs. Nothing ground breaking here that's for sure.

Having said that it will definitely be top 10 for me.

Just not sure how high ;)

[and being British based, I very much look forward to seeing them as PN has already confirmed they are looking at London dates :) ]

By samey, you mean they're all awesome and the level of awesomeness is the same?

I can't really remember individual songs after my first listen either, but in these first couple of listens one can't expect too much. I do know I was singing along with I think every single chorus by the time they came around the second, and definitely third time on each song. I feel like it'll be a super catchy album after a few spins. 

Yep, no doubt it's simple. But what does it say when something this simple is such a highlight of the year? I'm trying to think of the quote how simple things are often the best... just can't think of the quote. But you know what I mean. Sometimes simple awesomeness is just better than all the bells and whistles which don't achieve much. 

I did get a bit of the samey feel the first couple time through this so can understand that comment.  That said though, I've felt that less the more I've listened and the songs have sort of separated themselves for me.

Agree it's not really groundbreaking and the songs aren't that complex.  It is pretty simple but it's simple done well IMO. 

The whole thing just hits a sweet spot for me I guess and while it's not groundbreaking, it still feels different than most of all the other stuff I've listened to this year. 

For a debut album that probably had a very limited budget, it's all that more impressive IMO.    

I'm still waiting for mine to drop, but I'm a simple man so what I've heard so far is sounding great. I personally don't look for/want "groundbreaking" I like what I like from my Hard Rock/ Melodic Rock/ AOR bands and if I want something different I'll listen to some Pop or Metal or whatever I'm in a particular mood for.

I would be very surprised if most people on here want ground breaking. I mean, this is a site that is almost entirely dedicated to the 80s era sound.

Yes, we want variety, and maybe something that sounds a little "new", but at the end of the day, some of the best 80s rock was simple, no thrills, and not re-inventing the wheel.

I think the difference between this and a lot of younger bands trying to record songs in this genre is this does not feel at all forced.

I think one paced is maybe the issue. it's not a big issue. 

I listened to One Desire today and I dunno that just seems so alive. vibrant. in comparison.

It's all good tho. but I just don't see MC topping the year for me. 

16 hours ago, Glen said:

I think one paced is maybe the issue. it's not a big issue. 

I listened to One Desire today and I dunno that just seems so alive. vibrant. in comparison.

It's all good tho. but I just don't see MC topping the year for me. 

One Desire currently resides in my top 3 with this one and Crazy Lixx. Great stuff. 

I listened to this a few more times today and it's completely working for me. 

3 hours ago, Geoff said:

One Desire currently resides in my top 3 with this one and Crazy Lixx. Great stuff. 

I listened to this a few more times today and it's completely working for me. 

As of right now, Crazy Lixx is my#1 and the rest I wil fill in at the end of the year. So many good albums this year.

• 2023 Gold Donors

lots of great albums this year and some that are just C.R.A.P 
Then out of leftfield comes an album that completely wipes the floor with everything else,that album is Midnite City.From the cover art to the songs this just screams the 80's and is just delicious.
All killer no filler has never been more apt for an album,11 tracks of pure melodic rock perfection with enough hooks to open a tackle shop.I have not listened to anything else for an entire week and i'm still loving every single song on this perfectly crafted slice of awesomeness.So, if you haven't got this yet i urge you to do so and take yourself on the melodic rock ride of a lifetime,your ears will thank you.

Ladies & gentlemen i give you the the best album of 2017 MIDNITE CITY!!!          

and i still cant remember a single song except the 1st track so i question that claim on hooks.

I like the album but am struggling with the level of adulation being levelled at this. 

production is weak imo. I played Eclipse after this the other day and the energy on the first song just blew this apart. too much of the album is one paced for me. I jumped in the other day at the 1 min mark on each song and it's scary how similar they all are.

I have no doubt this will make my top 10 but there are better albums this year for sure. 

On 27/10/2017 at 6:55 PM, The Rocker said:

As of right now, Crazy Lixx is my#1 and the rest I wil fill in at the end of the year. So many good albums this year.

Mine too. Can't fault the album. Every song is awesome.

1 hour ago, lettard said:

Mine arrived today...at long last...brilliant stuff,gonna be defs up there in my end of year favs by the sounds of it :)

Son of a bitch!  Lol

1 hour ago, The Rocker said:

Son of a bitch!  Lol

:)

I cancelled my amazon order when they put the date back and ordered direct from AORHeaven,it still took 2 weeks to get here but it works out just as cheap if I order more than 1 from them because the postage is the same for 1-4 discs(I got Code Red as well) really enjoying both...Romeo Riot & Wildness next from them B)

27 minutes ago, lettard said:

:)

I cancelled my amazon order when they put the date back and ordered direct from AORHeaven,it still took 2 weeks to get here but it works out just as cheap if I order more than 1 from them because the postage is the same for 1-4 discs(I got Code Red as well) really enjoying both...Romeo Riot & Wildness next from them B)

Had done the same thing.  Originally ordered Midnite City through Amazon but switched to AOR Heaven when they announced they were in stock and would ship out early.  I had mine a week before it was released.  Hoping they do something similar with Wildness as I'm planning to pre-order that one at AOR Heaven as soon as links become available.

I do like Romeo Riot well enough but it won't be a top 5 album for me this year.  However, still feeling like Midnite City is battling for my favorite this year along with H.e.a.t and Crazy Lixx.

I'm with Glen on this one, the songs are very simple, samey and the pace hardly ever changes. That said this is the kind on stuff I enjoy. No real standouts but no duds either.  They do remind me of White Widdow, but the guitar work isn't as awesome and the choruses aren't as strong.   If you're a fan of White Widdow, Danger Danger and Crazy Lixx you'll likely love this one.

Likely my second favorite debut of 2017 after One Desire, also my second favorite 80's Hair Rock styled release of 2017 after Crazy Lixx.

2 hours ago, tts42572 said:

Hoping they do something similar with Wildness as I'm planning to pre-order that one at AOR Heaven as soon as links become available.

Contacted Georg over at AORHeaven today,preorders for Wildness should begin in 11-12 days time :)