Sign in to follow this  
KarpetRydOFunk

MUNA

MUNA are a Dark Pop trio from L.A. These girls are my favourite new band, right now.

All three members, Katie Gavin, Josette Maskin, and Naomi McPherson, identify as queer, and they've decided to keep gender-based pronouns out of their music, so that anyone might relate to these songs. The band formed when the two guitarists, Maskin and McPherson, met at a party, and bonded over their mutual love for Ska and Progressive Rock. It's funny to think they ended up sounding like this.

Their debut album, About U, dropped back in February, and it's been on steady rotation since.

Anyway, I cannot believe that I'll be the only one here that loves this.

Some nice tunes amongst the ones you posted. Kind of reminiscent of an '80's alternative band. It isn't something I'd purchase on cd for myself, but I could see throwing it in the mix while streaming music, when I'm in the mood for something different

Nice.... really like these girls stuff. You brought this to our attention last May when you made a post about their then Loudspeaker EP which i loved, good to know an album has dropped,this will be purchased and added to my holiday play list,cheers mate.

Well, gotta admit I came into the thread and pre-decided I hated them based on Karpetass' write-up. But I'll be cursed if I don't actually really like that. There's something rather irritating about the lead singer's voice (and appearance) but it's not enough to take away from how good the tunes are. I'll try to check this out further.

There's something rather irritating about the lead singer's voice (and appearance)

Yeah, I really don't understand lesbian hairstyles. ;}

There's something rather irritating about the lead singer's voice (and appearance)

It's a real issue for me, and something I think I've covered in other threads before. If you want to devour vagina... go for it. Who doesn't? Get on board and lap those flaps up. BUT. Why do you have to be the most unbelievably ugly version of yourself in order to eat the vagina? I can't express how much I hate these people (95% of the time it is lesbians) who seem to go out of their way to look so amazingly ugly... the absolute ugliest version of what they could possibly be... just to show the world they're a lesbian?

It's all like, oh wow, you're so unique and individual and lesbian. You're one of a kind, man. Except... oh look, every one of you fucking idiots is the same... trying to look so ugly you surely become unfuckable, to both males and females? Surely.

Anyway... rant aside, I do really like these tunes and will pursue.

Some nice songs there. Reminds me a bit of HAIM in places, although a bit more synthpop. Nice pick mate

Some nice songs there. Reminds me a bit of HAIM in places, although a bit more synthpop. Nice pick mate

Speaking of HAIM, their latest single is pretty good, too.

Amazing songs!

It's a real issue for me, and something I think I've covered in other threads before. If you want to devour vagina... go for it. Who doesn't? Get on board and lap those flaps up. BUT. Why do you have to be the most unbelievably ugly version of yourself in order to eat the vagina? I can't express how much I hate these people (95% of the time it is lesbians) who seem to go out of their way to look so amazingly ugly... the absolute ugliest version of what they could possibly be... just to show the world they're a lesbian?

It's all like, oh wow, you're so unique and individual and lesbian. You're one of a kind, man. Except... oh look, every one of you fucking idiots is the same... trying to look so ugly you surely become unfuckable, to both males and females? Surely.

Anyway... rant aside, I do really like these tunes and will pursue.

There are two types of lesbos. The ones who play the male roles and the ones who play the female roles. The ugly ones fit in the first category. They just want to look mannish, or at least un-feminine. Or just want to get their daddies mad.

Picked this up off Geoff's 2017 faves. I don't put none HH stuff in my list and maybe should start. 

Great album. Love it. 

I think it's the first time I've heard the word eviscerated in a song, as well.

3 hours ago, PeterS said:

I think it's the first time I've heard the word eviscerated in a song, as well.

Haha. Yup. That lyric always sticks out to me, as well. 

sorry to be a party pooper but this doesn't do much for me :(

vocals are a bit weird too.

I do quite like Loudspeaker 

24 minutes ago, Glen said:

sorry to be a party pooper but this doesn't do much for me :(

vocals are a bit weird too.

I do quite like Loudspeaker 

No you're not. You love to poop at my parties. 

14 hours ago, PeterS said:

Got 'Everything' on repeat this evening. Wonderful wonderful song. 

Probably my favourite lyrics on the whole album. No, definitely. Brilliant, brilliant stuff. And a magnificently haunting, beautiful song too. One of my faves for sure. I wish every song could have lyrics this potent. 

So it's been discussed elsewhere on the forum, but their new album 'Saves The World' dropped a few days ago and slap my balls if I don't already love it. 

It wasn't quite as instant as the debut for me, and probably realistically isn't quite that good, but it didn't take long for me to crave it's place in my tape deck. Spun it about half a dozen times in three days. Love it already. 

A few of my favourite tunes;

I wonder if the last one is a biography of sorts. 

Anyway, this band is ridiculously good at writing super catchy, interesting and magnetic tunes. It's been a while since I've enjoyed a band on a lyrical level as much as I do Muna. Brilliant. 

2 hours ago, Geoff said:

So it's been discussed elsewhere on the forum, but their new album 'Saves The World' dropped a few days ago and slap my balls if I don't already love it. 

It wasn't quite as instant as the debut for me, and probably realistically isn't quite that good, but it didn't take long for me to crave it's place in my tape deck. Spun it about half a dozen times in three days. Love it already. 

A few of my favourite tunes;

I wonder if the last one is a biography of sorts. 

Anyway, this band is ridiculously good at writing super catchy, interesting and magnetic tunes. It's been a while since I've enjoyed a band on a lyrical level as much as I do Muna. Brilliant. 

Yes, not only is their debut About U instant but also the better of the two. I loved all songs on the first album. This new one probably has one two tracks that I don't like. And also their best songs on their first album is better than the best ones on the new one. Songs like Loudspeaker and Winter break are  10/10. Still this new one is fantastic and by no means way off from their debut. Imo they are the best pop group at the moment. 

Downloading now. Hadn't spotted it had dropped. 

Edit: That voice. So much emotion. Very impressive first listen. 

Edited by PeterS

16 hours ago, PeterS said:

Downloading now. Hadn't spotted it had dropped. 

Edit: That voice. So much emotion. Very impressive first listen. 

Yep, it's what gets me every time. Nothing more appealing than someone who just puts their complete self into their output.