TORME - Back to Babylon

GeorgeRendon

I was listening to this CD the other day and just thought "Boy the production on this one is really bad!" While I've heard several remastering of several 70s/80s albums that are below average (the Rip Tide Records reissue of FATE's self titled comes to mind), I think Back to Babylon's CD reissue takes the cake. OR that is the intention of it all? A lo-fi hard rock? Is the sound of this album on vinyl this bad as much as it is on CD or is it really lo-fi. Some artist have made a career out of this like the 90s bands like Pavement and Eric's Trip?

I was listening to this CD the other day and just thought "Boy the production on this one is really bad!" While I've heard several remastering of several 70s/80s albums that are below average (the Rip Tide Records reissue of FATE's self titled comes to mind), I think Back to Babylon's CD reissue takes the cake. OR that is the intention of it all? A lo-fi hard rock? Is the sound of this album on vinyl this bad as much as it is on CD or is it really lo-fi. Some artist have made a career out of this like the 90s bands like Pavement and Eric's Trip?

Most of Bernie Torme's albums have been released on tiny, indie labels, so I don't think that the money has ever been there to give him a decent production ... I love Torme's second album, 'Die Pretty, Die Young', and his own 'Turn Out The Lights', but neither are particularly well produced.

Given that he played alongside both Ian Gillan and Ozzy in the 70s and 80s, it's a shame that he doesn't seem to have got the recognition that he deserves ...