Bands who basically copied their own song on album number two?

Anyone got some examples of this? Bands who basically re-recorded one of the most popular songs off their debut? So the songs are different tunes, but basically a complete copy of the song that was on the debut (or previous release).

I'd guess they were songs the bands recorded for their debut which they wholeheartedly believed would be hits, and when they weren't they thought they'd tweak it a bit, but basically try again.

I have four copies that really stick out for me;

With a little love / Stranger than love - Harem Scarem

High enough / Where you going now - Damn Yankees

Now forever after / Gotta go (Can't wage a war)' - Kingdom Come

Without the night / Headed for a heartbreak - Winger

For the record, I'm not having a dig at any of these bands or songs. I know some are just strikingly similar rather than actual copies, but it's just something I think of when I hear some of these songs. For the record, I love all eight songs - I think they're all fantastic.

Anyone got some examples of this? Bands who basically re-recorded one of the most popular songs off their debut? So the songs are different tunes, but basically a complete copy of the song that was on the debut (or previous release).

I'd guess they were songs the bands recorded for their debut which they wholeheartedly believed would be hits, and when they weren't they thought they'd tweak it a bit, but basically try again.

I have four copies that really stick out for me;

With a little love / Stranger than love - Harem Scarem

High enough / Where you going now - Damn Yankees

Now forever after / Gotta go (Can't wage a war)' - Kingdom Come

Without the night / Headed for a heartbreak - Winger

For the record, I'm not having a dig at any of these bands or songs. I know some are just strikingly similar rather than actual copies, but it's just something I think of when I hear some of these songs. For the record, I love all eight songs - I think they're all fantastic.

The Damn Yankees one is even worse cos they basically nicked the intro of 'Come Again' and the pre & chorus of 'High Enough'

But its not as good as either imo

I always thought Without The Night and Miles Away from Winger were super similar.

Yep, I could see that too. Jeez Kip was a handsome young man;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMKPQKU61QI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1knO1Ip9oEg

Stryper's entire In God We Trust album is basically a clone of To Hell With The Devil, right down to the ballads being in the same position(s) in the running order!

Stryper's entire In God We Trust album is basically a clone of To Hell With The Devil, right down to the ballads being in the same position(s) in the running order!

Yeah, Stryper did do that. I think each album had one or maybe two songs alone, and they were the same type of songs on each album. ;)

I mentioned two Kingdom Come songs, but I reckon their first two albums were extremely similar versions of each other, in their entirety. Lots of similarities.

None have come to mind except for examples from classical composers who used to do it regularly, but I think it's a great idea as long as the 2nd time round it has improved on the 1st one - maybe based on feedback from fans (although would that be classed as remastering?)

I do love it when bands put bonus tracks on their albums with acoustic versions or remixes.

On a similar theme but slightly off topic, I got seriously hacked off with Faith Hill when I accidentally bought her album named Bed of Roses when I was actually wanting the album with her hit 'Take me as I am' where the chorus is singing about a bed of roses. That was a sneaky marketing web that I got caught in.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Def Leppard-
  Pour Some Sugar
  Let's Get Rcked

• 1 month later...
On 3/10/2018 at 5:52 AM, The Rocker said:

Def Leppard-
  Pour Some Sugar
  Let's Get Rcked

That's a bit of a stretch, innit? I guess they're similar in terms on the kind of audience they'd appeal to, but if we're talking musically, or in verse or chorus structure... I don't personally see it. ;)