Is there a song you have loved forever that you just can't listen

Today in my car I was listening to my mix cd-r of classic DLR era VH and solo DLR.

One of my favourite tracks ever is Little Guitars, the only real killer track on the otherwise weak Diver Down was playing.

All of a sudden the song seemed to get noisy to the point that when I got home I threw the cd-r in the bin. I went and remade another copy, thinking my cd-r was faulty.

However it was simply some nasty production of the cymbals on the track that was grating my ears...and I have the remastered version from 2004. I simply couldn't put in on my mix cd-r.

I sorta feel heartbroken since I've loved that track since I was a kid...one of Eddie's best licks is on that one.

Ever had a song you love just start bugging you to the point you can't listen to it anymore?

I find it hard to listen to Tod Howarth's vocals on the Ace solo discs

His voice always sounded 'wobbly' to me.

Songs are good but takes a whole to come to terms with what I hear.

This has never happened to me, but don't worry. One by one, everyone who has ever, or who still likes Van Halen, will realise the inevitable. They do actually suck.

I go through phase, loved Alice Cooper Poison for ages, then went off it so had a long break but now I love it again. Am sure there are lots I've thought were amazing but then overlistening means I start finding the faults with them and then that's the only bit I 'hear' whenever I play it. Will try and remember which!

Certainly if the lyrics are naff that can kill a song for me once I've learnt them

Remastered doesn't always mean it's better. Many of these remastered CDs are victims of the Loudness War with nothing for dynamic range, clipping and distortion. They're remastered to sound like today's music. I always avoid them for that reason.

I haven't heard "Diver Down" but could that be your problem with it? The production of VH's early stuff wasn't that great in the first place. "Remastering" it might just make it worse.

This has never happened to me, but don't worry. One by one, everyone who has ever, or who still likes Van Halen, will realise the inevitable. They do actually suck.

:baneed:

For telling the truth?! Not on my watch!

I know it's Country rather than rock but Rascal Flatts' What Hurts the Most is a song I love, and towards the end the singer does this really annoying and pointless 'Woooh!'. It annoyed me the 1st time I noticed it but now whenever I hear the song I can sense that 'woooh' lurking and it ruins the whole song for me

Remastered doesn't always mean it's better. Many of these remastered CDs are victims of the Loudness War with nothing for dynamic range, clipping and distortion. They're remastered to sound like today's music. I always avoid them for that reason.

I haven't heard "Diver Down" but could that be your problem with it? The production of VH's early stuff wasn't that great in the first place. "Remastering" it might just make it worse.

Nailed it - I've started avoiding lots of remasters due to that very reason, although not all suffer. They sound okay on tiny speakers, in cars e.t.c. but as soon as you put them on a decent system then they become almost unplayable in some cases. Plus you can't crank them up to decent levels, they're already loud but as every instrument / voice has been boosted to practically optimum levels it looses the dynamics and even at low levels they become fatiguing to listen to. So if you do want to crank it that bit more instead of it becoming louder it becomes distorted.

With regards things I can barely play that I used to love - I would say a whole lot of the Queensryche catalogue, not because of sound issues - just the way everything became very messy towards the end of the Geoff Tate phase - the way he started coming across as a total arsehole, it just left a bad taste in my mouth with regards all that had gone before.

Spoiler alert - If you like So You Ran by Orion the Hunter read no further as the comment below could ruin the song for ya!

Another one I just cannot listen to anymore is Orion the Hunter - So You Ran ....alllll because of the bass player popping the string and screwing the song up completely. It starts in the song around the 15 second mark and he keeps doing it throughout the song all the way through, just as you're digging it up comes that damned discordant bass note thrown in just to piss you off and completely detract from the song. Jeeeez .... now that out of everything and I mean EVERYTHING I have ever heard that pisses me off beyond description. I used to love the song but that note did put me off but it has got worse as time has gone on....now...now I can't listen to it...I might try putting it through Audacity and trying to get rid of it!

I know it's Country rather than rock but Rascal Flatts' What Hurts the Most is a song I love, and towards the end the singer does this really annoying and pointless 'Woooh!'. It annoyed me the 1st time I noticed it but now whenever I hear the song I can sense that 'woooh' lurking and it ruins the whole song for me

Eric Martensson throws in an awful lot of "Ow!"s in Eclipse tunes.

Guess i'd better avoid them then

Guess i'd better avoid them then

Nah, I wouldn't say that. But he does like a good 'OW!'