6. RIDDLER-ALL THE WAY TO THE TOP

7. DR. SIN-S/T

8. V.A.N.- OUT IN THE RAIN

Every one of these ROCK!!!!

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jason, I bet you have never heard any of those groups mbutt mentioned. I can see you're desperate for entertainment. :lol:

You're right, it is hard to compare BON JOVI to PEARL JAM, because where BON JOVI is good and worth listening to, PEARL JAM is about as pleasurable as chugging down a crap-log.

BON JOVI a sellout? Why, because they're popular?? Because they play halftime shows? That doesn't make them sellouts, it makes them wealthy. I'd ask if you'd label JADED HEART sellouts if they got invited to play a sporting event, but judging from your musical tastes, you probably consider JADED HEART a waste of time as well...

There's no need for BON JOVI or any other melodic rock band to go "outside the box." When pop-metal bands head in new directions, we end up with garbage like WARRANT's "Belly to Belly." Ugh. No thank you. But tell me, how exactly did PEARL JAM break the mold? They were crap when they debuted, they were crap at the height of their career, and they're crap now, as far as I'm concerned. Maybe if they went outside the box, they'd actually release something good. Not likely, but hey, I believe in miracles...

Listen, we're all entitled to our tastes and opinions and yes, even your opinion is welcomed here. It may make you a target, but that's the price you pay for coming to a melodic rock website and singing the praises of alternative junk like PEARL JAM.

Now, in keeping with the original topic of this forum, here's the last five CDs that have passed through my player:

BABYLON A.D.: "American Blitzkrieg"

RUDE: "Touch It"

DADDY DYNAMITE: "Looking For Trouble"

BON JOVI: "The Red EP"

AXXIS: "II"

Keep the faith.

Mark

For me the Iron Horse cd is one of the best albums I have heard in a good while. It is a mix of Southern Rock like 38 Special with more guitar's and goes into a sound I can only call "on the edge country" kind of like Travis Tritt or Little Texas gone heavy but that is only on the last song that is "country". If you like good root's rock then this album will please your ears.

As of right now (cd's change daily)

Twinball - Remnants Of A Broken Soul

Nickelback - Silver Side Up

Craaft - Second Honeymoon

Frontline - Against The World

Wasp - The Headless Children

This week Ive listened to.

1. Chincilla - Madness

2. Pretty Maids - Future World

3. D:A:D - Osaka After Dark

4. Emerald - Tribute To Thin Lizzy By Norum, P.Maids.Sinner, Pegazus,

Running Wild, Chincilla, Anthrax, Primal Fear and more.

5. Accept - Death Row

6. Black Sabbath - Live Evil

7. Dickey Betts Band - Pattern Disruptive

8. Dream Theater - Master Of Metallica

9. Halford - S/T

10. Frank Marino - Juggernaut

Sorry, that was 10 albums, but couldnt let any out.

.............later this week I'll go and see Hammerfall.

:headbanger::headbanger::headbanger::headbanger::headbanger::headbanger:

Guest Security_Under_Pressure
BON JOVI a sellout? Why, because they're popular?? Because they play halftime shows? That doesn't make them sellouts, it makes them wealthy.

Which was exactly my point, confucious. The very fact a band adores the money, image, fame, etc., over the music is what makes them a sell out. Do you honestly think this band would sell tickets and records the way they do based soley on their musical performances? No, they absolutely NEED mainstream outlets to stay relevant among fans, or else they'd no longer be an entity of any kind.

There are many bands who are wealthy, but didn't have to over-commercialize the hell out of themselves in order to become so.

I'd ask if you'd label JADED HEART sellouts if they got invited to play a sporting event, but judging from your musical tastes, you probably consider JADED HEART a waste of time as well...

Again, my definition of a sellout is made clear above.

There's no need for BON JOVI or any other melodic rock band to go "outside the box." When pop-metal bands head in new directions, we end up with garbage like WARRANT's "Belly to Belly." Ugh. No thank you.

Fine, you win this argument. I guess 3 chord rock bands wouldn't have the ability to do so anyway.

But tell me, how exactly did PEARL JAM break the mold? They were crap when they debuted, they were crap at the height of their career, and they're crap now, as far as I'm concerned. Maybe if they went outside the box, they'd actually release something good. Not likely, but hey, I believe in miracles...

Hmm, well I guess your basic argument here is simply that Pearl Jam "is crap", which is difficult to argue, considering that is strictly your opinion, with no logic or rational to complement. To that I would say that when Pearl Jam first exploded onto the musical scene, they brought about a different kind of reputation from Seattle for taking themselves as a band more seriously, fighting huge corporations, and refusing to play by the "rock and roll handbook". Their passages were an interesting mix of alternative and classic and/or hard rock, in which they were able to construct some very nice, memorable melodies, tied in with, what I believe to be, one of the best rock voices in the 90s in Eddie Vedder. They also appeal to a huge cult following of fans, that will prove that even if Pearl Jam were wiped off the face of the earth by any mainstream outlet, their fans would still be there to support them, buy their records and see their shows, and for this I have much respect for them.

Listen, we're all entitled to our tastes and opinions and yes, even your opinion is welcomed here. It may make you a target, but that's the price you pay for coming to a melodic rock website and singing the praises of alternative junk like PEARL JAM.

It is my fault for not realizing some of the posters here didn't have broader tastes in music. I enjoy all kinds of rock and don't limit myself to just one kind. I also checked out a lot of the featured bands on the home page, and to my delight, found that I liked them, so decided to register. But music is all about personal preference and if it "does anything for you" or not. If it doesn't do anything for you, it's hard to "get it", and is really not worth arguing over.

Besides, I simply placed that bootleg as one of the cds in my cd player and was attacked for it. I NEVER at any point started praising the band as if they were gods. I'm more into progressive rock myself, and some progressive metal, which is also what brought me to this site, because I'm trying to discover more about it.

Okay, I can admit that Bon Jovi is a sellout... But since you say you're not the HUGEST Pearl Jam fan or anything lik that, then yo won't mind me supporting the fact that Pearl Jam is indeed a "Sellout" too...

Okay Mr. Vedder, the guy who when they first broke onto the scene, was all happy and having that "I'm just thankful to make music" attitude... Then when Nirvana seems to get into their own and be the real star of the grunge movement (which they were, and probably the best of all the copycats) Eddie goes and gets weird and tries to be portray exactly what Nirvana was doing... It was like he was trying to beat Curt Cobain to the punch, when Curt was really just being Curt, not acting like Eddie.

As far as I'm concerned Pearl Jam is one of those bands that are past their Hey Day, much like say Skid Row in 1993/94 (or even Warrant for that matter), but he (Eddie) and the band seem to be one of thoe bands that are in great denial, just bow out guys... ALSO, something else they did for a desperate attempt to push records (Sellout), in which no other band has done quite like them, is they put out like 50+ live D's out at once, of like consecutive dates on tours... PLEASE guys, give me a break, call it a day!!! I guess their fans (of what's left of them) need their pockets cleaned out if thy wanna hear all 50 live versions of "Jeremy" or "Even Flow", if that's not sellingout I don't know what is...

Yeah, if you don't believe me, go to Ebay and type in Pearl Jam live, then type in Beatles live, and what you'll see is that Pearl Jam has more listings than one of the most prolific/influential groups of Rock's history. Okay, the Beatles have way more songs/hits, and their among the most recognizable amongst everybody across the globe, no matter where you are, not to mention they've been around for 40+ years, but NO here comes Pearl Jam, with their career being about a fourth as long, and you'd be lucky to have a random person in say a sports stadium identify one of their so called hits if it were played, BUT THEY HAVE MORE LIVE RECORDINGS!!! Just Vanity and denial on the part of Mr. Mohawk (you seen this guy lately?), SELLOUT!!!

I hate to be so harsh, but those guys like Vedder and whoever else, were like rubbing it into the Hard Rock/Metal World when Grunge had it's day thinking their day would never come... Now their just like POISON, SKID ROW, WARRANT of 1994, trying to find a little different sound, failing, getting new bandmembers etc... They're over, now I can laugh in their face, just like they did. HAHAHAHA!!!!! Oh, and I blame them for the sorry state music's in right now (although there are good new groups, it's all underground, they deserve their pay/chance too, afterall their more talented, but today's music biz doesn't necessarily require you to know music or know how to sing), as they succeeded in making people believe glam fags were all image and no talent, all the while rap and R&B stayed more or less the same (I don't know if it could really change personally). And now all you see is Rap on MTV or hybrid Rap/Rock/Punk groups as no one wants to esablish a style, because that's not cool!!! To me, if there's a million different musical styles (Grunge, Rap/Rock, FunkRock, Punk, Ska, Alternative, PostGrunge, ShockRock, etc... The list goes on) it makes none of them all that important, which is why Rap is here to stay as it's been more or less the same for almost 20 years, and will probably never change all that much.....

Well, if you think BON JOVI cares more about money than music, you may be right. However, BON JOVI has never strayed too far from his roots; every CD he's released (save for the "Young Guns II" soundtrack) has been firmly fixed in melodic rock territory. Even when grunge ruled the radio, Jon & company never jumped on that bandwagon and tried to cash in like so many other groups, which indicates he does care somewhat for the music he makes.

Yes, I do consider PEARL JAM crap. In my opinion, they never wrote a single song worth listening to. Even as much as I loathe NIRVANA, at least a couple of their songs were tolerable. I didn't mean to start a big argument over the merits (or lack thereof) of PEARL JAM; as you said, this is all a matter of opinion. I don't need to provide rationale or logic for my position because my tastes are just that--mine. And yours are yours. I suppose we can applaud PEARL JAM for their anti-corporation stance, their rebelliousness, if you will, but when it comes to rock bands, the bottom line--at least for me--is this: are the songs good or not? This is where PEARL JAM fails. But again, that's just my opinion. I am a diehard melodic hard rock/metal fan, which means I love screaming guitars, instant hooks, powerhouse choruses, big backing vocals...things which PEARL JAM and their brethren pushed underground. Given my musical proclivities, it's only natural I dislike the band.

I still find it amusing that you came to a melodic rock-oriented website and seem a little annoyed that we don't have broad tastes in music. For the record, while 98% of what I listen to falls into the classic melodic hard rock genre, I also occasionally listen to nu-breed, no-metal, and yes, even some rap-metal, on rare occasion. What I do not listen to is any of that Seattle stuff. But hey, that's just me.

I'm sorry if you took any of this personally. This is a discussion forum and that's all we're doing--discussing. However, for the record, you did help initiate this little debate. You were not "attacked," as you so eloquently put it, simply because you posted that you were listening to PEARL JAM, you were "attacked" because you began that posting by ranting against BON JOVI. Yes, my friend, if you go back and look, you drew first blood. This board is all in the name of fun, but don't fire bullets unless you're ready to take some shots in return...

Now, just to keep on-topic, here's what passed through my CD player today:

DALTON: "Injection"

ANGELICA: s/t

THE ALMIGHTY: "Powertrippin'"

BISS: "Joker in the Deck"

POISON: "Hollyweird"

Keep the faith.

Mark

WARRANT- D.R.F.S.R.

TOTO- FAHRENHEIT

MASI- DOWNTOWN DREAMERS

SKID ROW- SLAVE TO THE GRIND

AKA- DANGEROUS ADDICTION

;)

Guest KC ROCKER

QUIET RIOT - ST(III)

SUPERIOR - BEHIND(IF YOU NEVER HEARD THEM THERE GREAT...KIND LIKE DT

ROXUS - NIGHT STREETS

EMERGENCY - BOYS WILL BE BOYS(CANT TAKE THIS OUT OF MY CD PLAYER)

BATTLEZONE - CHILDREN OF MADNESS(PAUL DIANNO'S BAND)

ROB

Guest Trick Taylor

Here are my current top 5 in rotation:

1. BRUNETTE- the demos

2. KINGOFTHEHILL- unreleased second album

3. Hardline- Hardline II

4. Brass Kitten- EZ-n-Pretty

5. MISC ROCK (T-Bone Mix)- Dare, Harem Scarem, Frontline

I have a six cd changer in my car...so here's what is currently being played...

Raw Trixx

Concrete Jungle

Schoolboy Crush

Sgt. Roxx

The Wildhearts

Sweet Teaze

What are Sgt. Roxx and The Wildhearts like? I have the rest. I wish I had Concrete Jungle on cd. As far as I know "Wear and Tear" was lp only so you must have the S/T right?. I felt some Great White was appropriate so I pulled out the best of...Tim.

Actually, the Sgt. Roxx is a superior Indie that would have dealt the world a serious blow if given the chance.....an excellent album!! The Wildhearts are one of the best bands on the planet!!!! They have many, many cds...and Ginger is a songwriter like noneother. They remind me of a melodic...aggressive hard rock band with a slight punk attitude. Killer guitar...killer chorus'....very, very good stuff.

I wouldn't mind finding that self-titled Concrete Jungle myself! The cd I'm listenin' to is "Wear and Tear"!! :banger:

here are the cd's I am enjoying currently,

Daddy Dynamite-Lookin' for Trouble

Heaven's Wish-s/t

Ram-Release the Beast

Trance-Rockers

Double D-s/t

Paradise-Do or Die

all very highly recommended if you can find them!

Thanks Guys!

Michael

Guest Security_Under_Pressure
ALSO, something else they did for a desperate attempt to push records (Sellout), in which no other band has done quite like them, is they put out like 50+ live D's out at once, of like consecutive dates on tours... PLEASE guys, give me a break, call it a day!!! I guess their fans (of what's left of them) need their pockets cleaned out if thy wanna hear all 50 live versions of "Jeremy" or "Even Flow", if that's not sellingout I don't know what is...

I respect the fact you AT LEAST attempted to use logic or rationale to describe why Pearl Jam was/is a sellout, even if you're completely wrong, as opposed to Metal Maniac whose take is, "Pearl Jam sucks", in a vacuum.

Pearl Jam did this simply to undercut the bootleggers who would sell their live material for $25. PJ is making literally little to NO profit off the album sales. Why do you think they sell two cds worth of material for $12? They have a free trading network set up for fans which is why they allow recording at shows, but this way, the bootleggers can no longer make a profit off illegally selling their stuff. If you don't believe me, do the research yourself.

It was actually a brilliant move.

Hi.

I have listened to these great cd´s this week.

1. Giant - Live and Acoustic-Official Bootleg

2. Great White - Recovery Live

3. Helix - No Rest For The Wicked

4. Malice - Licence To Kill

5. Malice - In The Beginning

6. Frank Marino - Juggernaut

8. Motley Crue - Dr. Feelgood

9. The Sweet - Sweet F.A

10. Thin Lizzy - Live and dangerous

Ive turned back to the 80's as thats where the good stuff were made. :headbanger::headbanger::headbanger::headbanger::headbanger::headbanger::headbanger::headbanger::headbanger::headbanger:

Ok...took out the last 6 discs and replaced them with....

1. New Wave Hits of the 80's Vol. 8

2. Danger Danger "Cockroach" Poley version

3. Refugee

4. Alphaville

5. Tazzberry Blue "Short Attention Span"

6. RUSH "A Farewell to Kings"

Guest dangerman

OK, heres whats been in my CD player recently:

1. Strangeways- Walk In The Fire

2. Fate - A Matter Of Attitude

3. Danger Danger - s/t

4. Dokken - Under Lock & Key