Speaking Of Country & Western...

CureTheSane

I like most forms of music, some more than others.

Not a big fan of C&W but I grew up hearing a lot of it and do like a lot of it. John Denver was always great.

So I can appreciate this....

For First Time Ever, 30 Most Famous Country Singers Release ONE Song Together

In honor of the 50th annual CMA Awards, the CMA Country Music Association released one amazing video. They brought together 30 most famous and award winning superstars to sing a mashup of country music classics. The result is spine-tingling good!
The list of musicians featuring includes big names like Luke Bryan, Keith Urban Miranda Lambert, and we can not forget one and only Dolly Parton. These are just a few names and the list goes on with many more great artists. What you are about to hear is a mashup of John Denver’s “Take Me Home, Country Roads” with Dolly Parton’s “I Will Always Love You” and Willie Nelson’s “On The Road Again.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2pAslx5az8

That was nice and it goes to show the even these new pop tarts of country sound pretty OK singing some classic country songs.

Great to see Alabama, Vince Gill, Alan Jackson, Ronnie Milsap, George Straight, the ever sexy Reba and even though singing is a ways off Randy Travis. And Charlie Pride!

I wish Dwight Yokum could have gotten in there and maybe some of the rebel country kids but I dig it, thanks for sharing.

In my job I listen to a bit of Ray Hadley and John Laws to break the day up and bit, and both were pushing this piece of crap like madness recently. I, uh, love it. ;)

• 2023 Gold Donors

I love country & western music.

My Mother and Grandmother also loved it.

I grew up on the old school stuff such as Marty Robbins, Tammy Wynette, Hank Williams Snr. amongst many others.

I love the new stuff and have found that over the years a lot of country music is almost indistinguishable from AOR.

I remember thinking when Bon Jovi's "These days" was released that it could almost be considered "Modern Country".

I don't like the trad. country stuff at all, but there is a load of new country stuff around that is really very good which I listen to a lot and really enjoy. As Darkstone says above, take out a few of the instruments used, and it pretty much blends into AOR and Rock territory. Some great music coming out if you open your ears.

• My Little Pony

I don't like the trad. country stuff at all, but there is a load of new country stuff around that is really very good which I listen to a lot and really enjoy. As Darkstone says above, take out a few of the instruments used, and it pretty much blends into AOR and Rock territory. Some great music coming out if you open your ears.

That's actually my biggest gripe with New Cuntry. It really isn't its own genre. It's just Pop or Rock music with a little twang.

I love country & western music.

My Mother and Grandmother also loved it.

I grew up on the old school stuff such as Marty Robbins, Tammy Wynette, Hank Williams Snr. amongst many others.

I love the new stuff and have found that over the years a lot of country music is almost indistinguishable from AOR.

I remember thinking when Bon Jovi's "These days" was released that it could almost be considered "Modern Country".

I remember seeing a doco of Def Lep (I think)

Pretty sure it was Def Lep and Joe was basically saying that all of their music was derived from C&W

He then played a song - probably Hysteria as a C&W song and it was very well suited.

That's actually my biggest gripe with New Cuntry. It really isn't its own genre. It's just Pop or Rock music with a little twang.

But this is what I'm sating about genres etc

I got ripped on for saying something was "too AOR" for me

People can read in to that what they want, but simply, that was my way of describing it so people knew what I was on about.

Same here. with New Country or whatever. I don't know what you're on about because I really don't listen to Country. But by referring your comment to pop or rock with the twang I kind of get it.

Best example is the new solo album by Derek Davis.

People don't like it here, and I get that, but try and describe what type of music it is without digging in to genres etc.

I'd call it funky pop with a bit of blues soul and a touch of reggae.

interesting how this topic turned into Def Leppard and Taylor Swift discussion..

I don't follow country music, however I like Johnny Lee's Looking for Love, as well as the movie Urban Cowboy. Does that count, or is that too pop?

Some 70's European schlager pop had a country folksy vibe too, for example Pussycat (Mississippi), I like that too...

I agree. Like this one:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Rented a boat with a few friends this past Saturday and the guy steering it is a massive country buff. Aside from a few Airbourne songs here and there we were almost exclusively listening to (modern) country the whole day and I really liked a lot of the songs. Here are some of my favorites. ''Drinking Problem'' has cool lyrics and the guitar solo in ''Move'' is great as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa9Y0Hlrlbs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7f6HiQ2LuU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88JX07qeAf0

Mostly enjoy the classics and Alabama ranks WAAAY high, but speaking of Brantley Gilbert this tune is cool as cool.

And of course Brantley wrote this one and Aldean made it into a hit.

Dwight Yoakam is a favorite for sure!

And Hank Jr with Van Halen (among many other cameos)!

The CDB:

And the Every Mothers Nightmare version:

The list can go on forever...