Spotify pays less than 1 penny to artist per stream

What type of music does your husband do, out of curiosity? Stuff we'd find on these pages?

Absolutely :D I'll check with him if he'd be happy for me to 'fess up

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2023 Gold Donors

What type of music does your husband do, out of curiosity? Stuff we'd find on these pages?

That sounds intriguing.

Haha,nothing too exciting. Just think it's better to double check. I guess it goes without saying that any views I express on here do not necessarily coincide with his?

Billboard reports that streaming is up massively in 16/17. No surprise. Cd sales slump 20%.

Making overall music revenue up on the previous slump.

Average royalty paid per stream is $0.0072.

So an average album is $0.072

I still think on this basis an artist gets more out me if i stream

Ive bought the Eclipse cd but if i stream the album say 15 times on Spotify that generates at the same revenue.

Are sales of music downloads on the increase do you know? Or is the trend still towards people wanting music for free? Must admit, I went through a phase of just listening to tracks on Spotify as it was rare I'd find a whole album I enjoyed (plus was running out of space to store them) but I always felt a bit guilty so have started buying single tracks as downloads instead

He's the drummer with Raw Silk and wrote all the tracks on the 1st album Silk Under the Skin which = 80s AOR style. The 2nd album The Borders of Light with new lineup is due out later this month (Nobody Fills the Loneliness is the 1st single from it and there's a lyric video on youtube for it or free download via the Raw Silk Official website). I'm useless at classifying styles but would probably describe it as Melodic Rock

Billboard reports that streaming is up massively in 16/17. No surprise. Cd sales slump 20%.

Ive bought the Eclipse cd but if i stream the album say 15 times on Spotify that generates at the same revenue.

Are sales of music downloads on the increase do you know? Or is the trend still towards people wanting music for free? Must admit, I went through a phase of just listening to tracks on Spotify as it was rare I'd find a whole album I enjoyed (plus was running out of space to store them) but I always felt a bit guilty so have started buying single tracks as downloads instead

Actual paid downloads was down. But the average royalty per stream was up.

Most peoples gripe with streaming is the artist not receiving enough so i guess any increase is a step in the right direction.

Thinking about my own listening habits & how they've altered, I can listen to music all day long but unless tracks on an album are pretty varied I find it hard to listen to one straight through-will put multiple cds in player &hit 'random' or use ipod with my compilations so the albums are broken up. I wonder whether artists should do more collaborations on playlists or compilatiin albums? Or diversify more with the tracks on their own albums?

Most peoples gripe with streaming is the artist not receiving enough so i guess any increase is a step in the right direction.

Yep definitely agree re any increase certainly means things are heading the right way

• 2023 Gold Donors

He's the drummer with Raw Silk and wrote all the tracks on the 1st album Silk Under the Skin which = 80s AOR style. The 2nd album The Borders of Light with new lineup is due out later this month (Nobody Fills the Loneliness is the 1st single from it and there's a lyric video on youtube for it or free download via the Raw Silk Official website). I'm useless at classifying styles but would probably describe it as Melodic Rock
Wow! That's great.

Their debut is a killer and certainly a classic of the genre.

Very much looking forward to the new one.

Wow! That's great.

Oh wow, thanks Darkstone. I certainly love the new album, (but I accept I may be just a weeny bit biased) :whistle: There's a couple of European radio stations planning to play multiple tracks from the album later this month. I can check which shows and post details on here (or message you) if you're interested?

Haha, of course. Sorry, that's me being stupid. I could have put that together if I thought about it for a second. ;) Very cool. Hope this new album does well for him and the band.

Haha, of course. Sorry, that's me being stupid. I could have put that together if I thought about it for a second. ;) Very cool. Hope this new album does well for him and the band.

Yaaay! Thanks Geoff :tumbsup:

• 2023 Gold Donors

Wow! That's great.

Oh wow, thanks Darkstone. I certainly love the new album, (but I accept I may be just a weeny bit biased) :whistle: There's a couple of European radio stations planning to play multiple tracks from the album later this month. I can check which shows and post details on here (or message you) if you're interested?

That would be great, thanks.

I'm not very tech savvy though, so i'm not sure how i'd be able to tune in to European radio. I'll work it out.

Wow! That's great.

I'm not very tech savvy though, so i'm not sure how i'd be able to tune in to European radio. I'll work it out.

The one I know of straight off is on 24th April DJ Sonny Eazy Monday Show (http://rockchicks-radio.de ) His show starts 8pm German time so - depending where you are - that might actually be the middle of the night for you come to think of it.

• 2023 Gold Donors

Wow! That's great.

The one I know of straight off is on 24th April DJ Sonny Eazy Monday Show (http://rockchicks-radio.de ) His show starts 8pm German time so - depending where you are - that might actually be the middle of the night for you come to think of it.

Beautiful. Thanks for the link.

Interesting today. I was at Ford looking at new cars and the salesman told me basically cd players are being phased out.

Already the Fiesta model comes as standard with no cd player. They just figure these days everyone has connectivity via their phone.

• My Little Pony

Interesting today. I was at Ford looking at new cars and the salesman told me basically cd players are being phased out.

Already the Fiesta model comes as standard with no cd player. They just figure these days everyone has connectivity via their phone.

Yup. I don't think my dad's new GMC has a CD player.

I was surprised as I've heard quite a few people recently saying they don't have a cd player at home either. Must admit, I probably wouldn't use my player if it didn't have multiple trays so I could put several on the go at once on random. I tend to rip them to my ipod but even that is getting more difficult as the newer macs don't have a cd player on them

Im cutting right back on my cd buying - ive only bought 2 this year - Eclipse & One Desire.

I can see them becoming obselete a lot quicker than folk believe. In 5-10 years theyll be dead i reckon.

I certainly wouldnt want a multiple 1000 collection on my hands

Im cutting right back on my cd buying - ive only bought 2 this year - Eclipse & One Desire.

I can see them becoming obselete a lot quicker than folk believe. In 5-10 years theyll be dead i reckon.

I reckon you're bing very optimistic with 5-10 years. I believe we're basically already in the midst of it now.

For all "intents and purposes," in normal daily life, outside of places like this forum, the CD is already well and truly, completely dead. Lots of you guys are probably old enough you know people who still have CDs, but how many of any of all y'all friends, outside of people who you might know who are into this scene, still have, or listen to CDs at all anymore? Because for me, as a 37 year old dude, the answer is two. Two enthusiastic rap / hip hop fans.

In my life, basically the only CDs that still exist in any capacity are mine. And all I do is wish I could get rid of them all with some worthwhile financial return. :(

I reckon you're bing very optimistic with 5-10 years. I believe we're basically already in the midst of it now.

For all "intents and purposes," in normal daily life, outside of places like this forum, the CD is already well and truly, completely dead. Lots of you guys are probably old enough you know people who still have CDs, but how many of any of all y'all friends, outside of people who you might know who are into this scene, still have, or listen to CDs at all anymore? Because for me, as a 37 year old dude, the answer is two. Two enthusiastic rap / hip hop fans.

In my life, basically the only CDs that still exist in any capacity are mine. And all I do is wish I could get rid of them all with some worthwhile financial return. :(

Of course we are in the midst of it, but as you know there is always a tail off with these things.

5 yrs is about right i reckon.

I defo wouldnt be buying tons of the things tho. They will be relics soon.

Shame in a way but I agree they take up so much space that unless there's something extra special about them I'm tending to rip the tracks I want and then ditching the disc. Wouldn't want to do that with my favourites though as i still don't fully trust that I wouldn't 'lose' them all if I didn't have a hard copy :yikes:

There would always be a niche market for them though I reckon - like vinyls which are making something of a come back - as they have the added element of being an art form.

I read somewhere that vinyls are becoming popular again, in part, down to the fact that it encourages the listener to actually listen to the whole album due to the effort involved in having to physically get up and move the arm on it if you want to skip a track. Maybe that would be a good thing and could kick start the album oriented rock/radio scene again?

It is true that I don't devote time to albums as much as I used to as it's so easy just to not bother and skip a track as soon as I lose interest but when I think back, there are quite a few tracks that I hated when I first heard them but they ended up growing on me and becoming amongst my favourites.

Good point.

Probably worth waiting 10 years to sell off the cd's when they are niche' and in demand...

I really need to start ripping mine.
I JUST DON'T PULL THEM :( :( :(

I haven't bought a CD in 5 years. It's truly a dead format already. I was actually surprised my new car has a CD player. I would have expected them to have got rid of them already.

I'm sure my CDs will sit there like my tapes and lps and never get touched and just follow me around when I move.

Yeah, my kids blutooth their phones to their car stereos.
Aren't even bothered to put songs on a USB and plug that into their stereos.

It's a brave new world...