Ratings thus far (2017 Edition)

its been a great start to the year imo

my top 5 would look like this

1 - Confess - Haunters - 90

2 - Tokyo Motor Fist - 87

3 - No Resolve - Unity - 85

4 - One Desire - 85

5- You me at six - Night People -82

I've never heard of No Resolve but they remind me of the new TDG and My Darkest Days. Unity sounds good

3 - No Resove - Unity - 85

4 - One Desire - 85

Holy shit mate, you took it easy on the fillers on the You Me At Six album! ;) Love the good songs on that one, but I rated it 68% personally, on the back of some bad, bad songs. When they're good, though, they're real good.

Top 5 for me so far are:

1. One Desire - One Desire - 89%
2. Eclipse - Monumentum - 84%
3. Tokyo Motor Fist - Tokyo Motor Fist - 82%
4. Confess - Haunters - 82%
5. Lionville - A World of Fools - 81%

3 - No Resove - Unity - 85

4 - One Desire - 85

Holy shit mate, you took it easy on the fillers on the You Me At Six album! ;) Love the good songs on that one, but I rated it 68% personally, on the back of some bad, bad songs. When they're good, though, they're real good.

Top 5 for me so far are:

1. One Desire - One Desire - 89%

2. Eclipse - Monumentum - 84%

3. Tokyo Motor Fist - Tokyo Motor Fist - 82%

4. Confess - Haunters - 82%

5. Lionville - A World of Fools - 81%

You know the saying , one mans filler is another mans killer ?

I hate the title track and spell it out is pretty poor but i pretty much liked everything else on there and there are two or three really killer songs that will definitely make it into my top 20 songs this year , namely give , heavy soul and take on the world

3 - No Resolve - Unity - 85

4 - One Desire - 85

I've never heard of No Resolve but they remind me of the new TDG and My Darkest Days. Unity sounds good

Yeah i can see the similarity to them bands although neither of them have put out an album as good as unity in my opinion ofcourse

Brother Firetribe climbs over Lionville to my 5th position:

Tokyo Motor Fist

Eclipse

One Desire

Jim Jidhed

Brother Firetribe

Haven't heard 4th and 5th but my top 3 right now would be the same....TMF, Eclipse and One Desire.

Has been a great start this year and still plenty of good stuff to come....Crazy Lixx, H.e.a.t, Station, maybe Degreed....Really think this will wind up being one of the best years for melodic rock in quite some time....at least for me :)

Might be rough next year though as it seems like every band I like listening to has come out with an album in the past year or will be this year.

Brother Firetribe climbs over Lionville to my 5th position:

Tokyo Motor Fist

Eclipse

One Desire

Jim Jidhed

Brother Firetribe

Haven't heard 4th and 5th but my top 3 right now would be the same....TMF, Eclipse and One Desire.

Has been a great start this year and still plenty of good stuff to come....Crazy Lixx, H.e.a.t, Station, maybe Degreed....Really think this will wind up being one of the best years for melodic rock in quite some time....at least for me :)

Might be rough next year though as it seems like every band I like listening to has come out with an album in the past year or will be this year.

WET and Vega already confirmed for 2018....i have a feelin that Work of Art might end up being next year too...all gone v quiet on that front.

Eclipse, Lionville, TMF, Brother Firetribe, One Desire, and Confess in the top 6 rotation so far,

i think it's the sensible choice for most of us here.

some other albums 'might be' underrated, but well worth another visit from me are Sweet Mary Jane, Vain, Place Vendome, Blackfield, and Jim Jidhed (i think all these five will fall into 77-83 category)

• 4 weeks later...

Well, Crazy Lixx enters like a Friday-13th psychokiller into the middle of my top 5, also Brother Firetribe has grown a bit on me, so bye bye Jim Jidhed (oh, damn!)

Tokyo Motor Fist

Eclipse

Crazy Lixx

One Desire

Brother Firetribe

My top 5 is probably the same but no idea on order yet.

Super good start to 2017 though and some killer stuff to come.

Well, Crazy Lixx enters like a Friday-13th psychokiller into the middle of my top 5, also Brother Firetribe has grown a bit on me, so bye bye Jim Jidhed (oh, damn!)

Tokyo Motor Fist

Eclipse

Crazy Lixx

One Desire

Brother Firetribe

a very sensible choice for most of AOR/HR fans, i think Jim's new album should be out of top 20, a good one but hard to compete with the rest.

• 2 weeks later...

Just curious, do (m)any of you look over your lists again at the end of each year and find your %age ratings have radically altered or do you know your personal tastes well enough to get them bang on right from the start?

If an album is worthy of making top 10-20 i wait at least 3 months (if possible) before even attempting a rating

And then does it ever alter?

If an album is worthy of making top 10-20 i wait at least 3 months (if possible) before even attempting a rating

And then does it ever alter?

No because i wait long enough before i rate....that was my point. :)

Mine too. Wonder if my tastes or recognition of good (+bad) music will ever reach the level where I know immediately what works for me

Tokyo Motor Fist

Eclipse

Crazy Lixx

One Desire

Brother Firetribe

a very sensible choice for most of AOR/HR fans, i think Jim's new album should be out of top 20, a good one but hard to compete with the rest.

Lionville is much, much better than Brother Firetribe, imo. Did I mention much? (as is Vain) The other four are the same for me too, though.

Just curious, do (m)any of you look over your lists again at the end of each year and find your %age ratings have radically altered or do you know your personal tastes well enough to get them bang on right from the start?

I always blindly re-rate my entire top 30-50 in the last month of the year. To be honest, very little changes except maybe a few albums further down the list anyway. But nothing really ever changes more than say, 5% or so.

• 2 weeks later...

Tokyo Motor Fist

Eclipse

Crazy Lixx

One Desire

Brother Firetribe

Lionville is much, much better than Brother Firetribe, imo. Did I mention much? (as is Vain) The other four are the same for me too, though.

And Confess too. How'd I miss that one? I think I actually just thought it was in the list. But yeah, I prefer Confess to Lionville and Brother Firetribe... but yeah, I agree, Harem Scarem has pushed out Confess from the top 5.

Tokyo Motor Fist

Eclipse

Crazy Lixx

One Desire

Brother Firetribe

And Confess too. How'd I miss that one? I think I actually just thought it was in the list. But yeah, I prefer Confess to Lionville and Brother Firetribe... but yeah, I agree, Harem Scarem has pushed out Confess from the top 5.

Hi mate,

I can understand your Lionville's statement but I don't really get what's about that Confess thing to be honest... I tried and tried and tried and does nothing for me, sorry.

I presume most of you like it so much because of lyrics? As I don't have english as first language I tend to neglect lyrics a bit. Else is a total mystery to me.

Anyway, as we agree on Harem Scarem, the universe is in order again. :tumbsup:

Tokyo Motor Fist

Eclipse

Crazy Lixx

One Desire

Brother Firetribe

Hi mate,

I can understand your Lionville's statement but I don't really get what's about that Confess thing to be honest... I tried and tried and tried and does nothing for me, sorry.

I presume most of you like it so much because of lyrics? As I don't have english as first language I tend to neglect lyrics a bit. Else is a total mystery to me.

Anyway, as we agree on Harem Scarem, the universe is in order again. :tumbsup:

Haha. no mate, I don't think the lyrics on the Confess album are the main selling point. ;) It's just a very well done "sleaze" / commercial hard rock album.

But to each their own mate. Like yourself, a lot of you guys are loving the Brother Firetribe album, which personally is not doing too much for me. Whereas Confess is... much more my favoured style. Just different tastes. ;)