Warrant - Louder Harder Faster

Stefan

Ultraphobic and Belly to belly both sound more like Warrant than the last few Warrant albums, and will get constant replays from me, unlike the modern "boring" Warrant.

Ultraphobic is a monster of an album, and Belly to belly while a bit more of an acquired taste, has some belters on it like AYM and Indian giver. Lyrically they have Jani's signature all over them, even if musically they are different.

Whether its with St James or Mason, modern Warrant just bores me. Absolutely no spark on them. Just seem to be going through the motions.

Not bad albums, but not great ones either.

I feel the same way about the last few Gotthard, so I understand where you are coming from. And I will admit to being a bit hasty with my post and including Ultraphobic to make my point. There were still enough hints of the old Warrant on that and some good tunes. I still stand by the Belly to Belly comparison though. To me, even lyrically that album is as far away from the old Warrant as you could get, but I think that was something Jani intended at the time. I would have preferred that the band had changed their name after Jani passed. My point was that people should at least give Rockaholic and their new one a shot despite it being nothing like the original Warrant sound. If they like it, great, and if they hate it, that's cool too.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're right.

Most Warrant fans hate B2B

In fact I'm sure many would call this new incarnation of Warrant as being more true to the first 2 releases than B2B

Yet that album had Jani singing.

It's a waste of time comparing old to new to a large degree.

I look forward to the new Great White album. Thought Elation was pretty good.

I also enjoy a Jani-less Warrant and a Steve-less Gotthard

All based on the music and going in without pre conceived ideas.

I am one who really believes that a singer makes the band, BUT when a singer has died the rest of the band should be abel to move on. If the band does a 180 and is making 100% shit albums that changed the whole style of their sound , then I can see some "warrant"(no pun intended) in not liking the band anymore. , AC/DC did it and worked out fine. Just my opinion.

I just can't seem to get into this....

I'm willing to give new singers in bands a shot....For me personally I liked Van Halen better with Sammy than DLR, like H.e.a.t waaay better with Erik than Kenny....(Just the first two examples that popped into my head).

But sometimes it just doesn't work for me and this is one of those cases. The music is pretty good but apparently I'm just not a big fan of Mason. I know the band wasn't left much choice and I applaud them for moving forward....But this just doesn't work at all for me.

I just can't seem to get into this....

I'm willing to give new singers in bands a shot....For me personally I liked Van Halen better with Sammy than DLR, like H.e.a.t waaay better with Erik than Kenny....(Just the first two examples that popped into my head).

But sometimes it just doesn't work for me and this is one of those cases. The music is pretty good but apparently I'm just not a big fan of Mason. I know the band wasn't left much choice and I applaud them for moving forward....But this just doesn't work at all for me.

That's a great post.

And even though I like the new Warrant (not as much as the Jani version, but I still think it is great music) since you've given it an objective review I think that's fair.

I hate seeing "it's no Jani Lane Warrant song" - well no shit lol

I am one who really believes that a singer makes the band, BUT when a singer has died the rest of the band should be abel to move on. If the band does a 180 and is making 100% shit albums that changed the whole style of their sound , then I can see some "warrant"(no pun intended) in not liking the band anymore. , AC/DC did it and worked out fine. Just my opinion.

I agree to an extent.

Some bands manage to change their singer and go on to bigger and better things (AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Van Halen, Black Sabbath, Anthrax, Dream Theater, etc.) ... but, for a lot of bands, changing a popular front-man does them no favours, regardless of how good - or otherwise - the new material might be (Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Motley Crue, etc.)

Here in the UK, Warrant were never as big as they were Stateside, but I can understand where people are coming from. For me, it's a similar situation to when Fish left Marillion, and Steve Hogarth took over - Hogarth's voice is completely different, and there was a time when I couldn't listen to them because, for me, it wasn't 'Marillion'. I've since come to love some of the Hogarth-era albums, and I can understand why the other members of the band continued under the same name. The band lost a lot of fans at the time, for the same reason, but have since gained a new audience.

If this was a case of ONE original member using the name, and putting out new music, then I'd agree that it should be changed (see Thin Lizzy/Black Star Riders), but it's four out of the five, so I think they have every right to use the Warrant name - no, it won't be the same as it was with Jani, but they deserve a shot.

Anybody pick the new album up?

The initial songs didn't grab me much although I'm not sure how much of a chance I really gave them listening on low volume at work...But I streamed the album today and tried to approach it as though I'm basically listening to the debut album of a brand new band. When I put myself in that mindset and sorta stopped approaching it as a "Warrant" album, I found myself starting to get into it a bit. It's really not too bad for a straight up rock album. If this were some brand new band, people would probably be singing praises.

It's still nowhere in the same league stuff like Eclipse, Crazy Lixx, TMF ,etc....And nowhere near classic Warrant....

But it's not terrible either...decent melodic rock. These songs have grown on me a bit and a couple other songs like Faded, Music Man and Let It Go sounded pretty decent my first time through.

Might have to pick up the Cd....I see Best Buy is selling for $8.99 and it's also on Amazon for that.

If this were some brand new band, people would probably be singing praises.

Some people just can't do that.

Which sucks for them because they miss out.

Yeah...It is hard though. I mean, when you see "Warrant" you have a preconceived notion of what you're wanting it to sound like and this is quite a ways from the fun, party melodic rock that Warrant is known for. I do wonder sometimes if they should've tried a new name but it would be tough to leave behind the catalog of songs so can't blame them for keeping it.

I had to keep trying it though and it's sunk in a bit. Warrant and Firehouse are coming about 30 minutes from me in a month and gonna hit that show. I mean, can't go wrong seeing them both for $20.

Yeah...It is hard though. I mean, when you see "Warrant" you have a preconceived notion of what you're wanting it to sound like and this is quite a ways from the fun, party melodic rock that Warrant is known for. I do wonder sometimes if they should've tried a new name but it would be tough to leave behind the catalog of songs so can't blame them for keeping it.

I had to keep trying it though and it's sunk in a bit. Warrant and Firehouse are coming about 30 minutes from me in a month and gonna hit that show. I mean, can't go wrong seeing them both for $20.

Fucking $20

What I'd give....

There was Warrant 96, how about Warrant 2009, or even Warrant 2031 :)

That would instantly bring a realisation that it's a new Warrant

Listened to some of the album last night.

There was one song that stuck out.

The song above is also good.

I'm different to most here in that if I get a few killer songs off the album I'm happy

• 2023 Gold Donors

Haven't had a full listen yet.

I want to be able to give it my full attention and soak it in. Maybe on the weekend.

What i've heard already on this thread i really like, so I'm sure i'll love it.

Just wanted to post this song....Among my favorites on the album.

This and 'Let it go' are the best two songs on the album. Otherwise, the rest of the album is really pretty average, as expected. I will say, though, the band sounds good, musically, and the production is the best it's been in an age too.

All they need now is a decent songwriter. ;)

Really. I thought the production sounded over loud and distorted in places.

I dunno, sounded good to me. Gotta be honest - I wasn't glued to my speakers while this was playing (average songs have that effect on me), but I remember thinking it sounded really good, production-wise.

I dunno, sounded good to me. Gotta be honest - I wasn't glued to my speakers while this was playing (average songs have that effect on me), but I remember thinking it sounded really good, production-wise.

brickwalled to fuck

brickwalled to fuck

What-now-ed?

Just listened to the whole album and I'm gonna really like a few songs.

So far my comment would be that the vocals sound forced in the first half of the album.

Like he's trying a bit too hard.

But I like...

Devil Dancer

Perfect

U In My Life

Faded

Let It Go