Harem Scarem united

Scorp2121

Did Hess produce this? If so i think hes finally nailed it ;)

Surely not, as it does sound good. There are a couple of tunes here that don't gel completely with me, but far more that do. My faves in particular are these gems - 'Here Today, Gone Tomorrow,' 'One Of Life's Mysteries,' 'Things I Know' and 'Heaven & Earth.' Killer tunes. Good sound.

I've never really been able to get that into Harem Scarem for some reason

I like a lot of the debut and the odd track scattered across the rest of their albums but something hasn't fully clicked , Maybe I should try this one out as it seems to be getting rave reviews everywhere

Andrew gave this 100%. Color me shocked!

This is the third album that got 100% from him. Earlier it was "Weight of the Word" and "Higher".

It is May 12, so "United" has already debuted everywhere. So I can rate the album. I listen United to non-stop from Sunday. I've probably listened to 100 times. :D I will say one thing: WOW !! !! !! PHENOMENAL album!! Something quite different we've heard from Harem Scarem in the past. How many great ideas and experiments (both in vocals and guitars). The riffs and solos are the best for years !! And the choruses, it's Harem Scarem, the masters in this profession, but I noticed the interesting things in choruses, are definitely different than usual. As for the place in my ranking, it's a strong no. 4. Best album since "Weight of the World".

1. United 8/10 - Worst track on the album, but still very good. If better chorus could be one of the best track on the album. The chorus is a bit monotonous. But rest, intro, verse and solos - great.

2. Here Today, Gone Tomorrow 10/10 - A phenomenal chorus. Energy, energy, and energy again! One of the best choruses in recent times. Jeff Scott Soto is also featured here, but does not hear him as clearly as on "Bite The Bullet".

3. Gravity 9/10 - Another great chorus. The strange sound of the guitar, but I like it, very much. Solo is one of the best on record. In the chorus feel a large POWER.

4. Sinking Ship 10/10 - I listened this track many times, but the worship of this song is not over. Awesome song, one of the best after 2000. Simply perfection.

5. One Of Life's Mysteries 10/10 - What can you say, typical Harem Scarem, because ballads are always they were great. Another great ballad after 2000, and yet we had such a sensational songs like: "This Is not Over," "Higher", or "Hanging On".

6. No Regrets 8/10 - Probably the strongest guitar track. The chorus is very good, although they are better. Solo probably the worst on "United".

7. Bite The Bullet 10/10 - WOW, this is the song !! How many twists !! The fact that we already have a sensational and emotional chorus is one thing. But when twist appears and we have another completely different chorus from the words "You gotta bite the bullet", and the magic starts. We have solo (IMO great), and there's another twist and Jeff Scott Soto (who also appears in the second track), turns on singing and the effect is staggering, these two voices with Hess just sounds perfect !!

8. Things I Know 10/10 - I love this emotional climate in verses. And the chorus, that's what did with this song so complete song. Very energetic track.

9. The Sky is Falling 9/10 - Great chorus, verses, and solo TOP3 on the album.

10. Heaven & Earth 9/10 - One of the strongest songs. Initially, I was not particularly good at it, but over time it was incredibly grown in my ranking, becoming one of the best (currently No. 6). I love the fragment: "We'll be taking control, To claim heaven & earth, Claim heaven and earth".

11. Indestructible 9/10 - We think there will be a ballad, and here a twist. :D We start with a cowboy climate with acoustic, and then the song changes completely, first in the verse, and in the chorus we have the real ride. Fantastic idea of ​​Hess & Lesperance duo. Grand solo, maybe the best on the album.

12. Here Today, Gone Tomorrow: acoustic version (Japanese Bonus Track) - I will not give rate here, because it's just an acoustic version of the song that appeared on the normal version of the album. The song is just as good as the normal version, because the chorus is fantastic.

And that's it. Thank you Harem Scarem for this album. Reviews on music portals and fan reviews say that "United" is truly sensational, definitely one of the best albums of Harem Scsrem. How am I glad they decided to come back after this 5 year break in 2013. Like the wine, the older the better. Now is the time to wait for the next album, no matter how much I will wait for album, because I love this band !!

Andrew gave this 100%. Color me shocked!

So?

He obviously likes it.

It is afterall a great album and for most epitomises what we seek in melodic rock.

I rate differently to Andrew as i look at each individual song in more detail so to me it will prob be 85-90%

Up there with their best albums imo.

Exactly same for me.

Haven't really cared for these guys...but admit I haven't spent all that much time on them either. I think what I listened to in the past was always just too light for my tastes and I just dismissed them.

But I'll have to sample some of this album with all the rave reviews. I'm a little more open minded than I used to be :)

I like a lot of the debut and the odd track scattered across the rest of their albums but something hasn't fully clicked , Maybe I should try this one out as it seems to be getting rave reviews everywhere

• My Little Pony

Exactly same for me.

Haven't really cared for these guys...but admit I haven't spent all that much time on them either. I think what I listened to in the past was always just too light for my tastes and I just dismissed them.

But I'll have to sample some of this album with all the rave reviews. I'm a little more open minded than I used to be :)

These guys are heavier than H.e.a.t, though.

HS are a funny band for me. Absolutely loved the early stuff, totally lost them around 'Karma Cleansing' 'Big Bang Theory' and the terrible Rubber stuff, got back on track for 'WOTW' and 'Higher', didn't like 'Overload' liked 'Human Nature', but didn't like 'Hope' or 'Thirteen'. Yoyo syndrome band. The new one is very strong though, with some great songs...not a masterpiece by any stretch of the imagination, but back on track,.................for now ;)

not a masterpiece by any stretch of the imagination

I'd kind of want to re-iterate that too. I adore this band, would call myself a "die-hard" fan, I guess, if you want to use that term. But I get a bit tense when people come out so hard and fast and call it so amazing. It's a very good HS album, but I am definitely not on quite the high that some people here are.

I know people rate albums differently, but this whole rating albums like this 100% just gets on my nerve, the same way that people use the word 'literally.' And that really gets on my nerves. As in, I am not kidding here. I honestly believe that if people misuse the word 'literally,' they should be executed where they stand. It just infuriates me. "Oh, I just literally ate a house, man!' Oh, really, did you? Hey, eat this bullet - FUCKING BANG!!! End of conversation.

But back to this album and it's supposed perfection. 100% means perfect. As in it's flawless. There's nothing wrong with it. So 'United,' 'Gravity,' 'No regrets,' 'Bite the bullet' and 'Sky is falling' are all perfect songs? Really? Verse, chorus, hooks - all perfect? I know, I know, to each their own. And I know tastes differ, but jeez it's a hard pill to swallow.

Anyway, rant ended. I think it's a good album. I've thrown an initial 82% at it which has it at number four in 2017 so far for me. So I love it. It's great. But I'd like to see it kept in perspective. ;)

And I'll tell you the one thing that holds me a little bit back on this album. And it's something that's been with HS for an age, but although they have long long moved on since the days of 'Voice of Reason' and Rubber, you're kidding yourself if you think that every element of those two eras of the band has been completely removed from them in 2017. There's still just those "darker" riffs here and there that kind of bring me back to 'Voice of Reason,' and there's always just those few hooks or two across their albums which make me think of their stab at something different with Rubber. It's a part of their sound I am not sure they'll ever shake completely. It's doesn't irk me immensely, but it's there and it keeps rating these guys in check.

And it must be said, but calling these guys "too light" is just absolutely ridiculous. Sorry tts42572, I know you said you haven't heard much, but what are we talking about here? You've heard 'Honestly' and that's about it? These guys are probably the most versatile band going around at the moment and although their debut had elements of AOR in it, they're a pretty distinct hard rock band - very ballsy at times. Lesperence's style of playing alone immediately dispels any threat of them being "too light."

Wow...overthinking it guys.

Ive only listened to it once but i have to say i enjoyed it immensely and in my book its a four way tie between this... one desire, eclipse and crazy lixx.

Not that it matters whats best of course - its that these 4 will be in constant rotation

Having said that i prefer the Degreed song to ANY song on those 4 albums....just saying ;)

And I'll tell you the one thing that holds me a little bit back on this album. And it's something that's been with HS for an age, but although they have long long moved on since the days of 'Voice of Reason' and Rubber, you're kidding yourself if you think that every element of those two eras of the band has been completely removed from them in 2017. There's still just those "darker" riffs here and there that kind of bring me back to 'Voice of Reason,' and there's always just those few hooks or two across their albums which make me think of their stab at something different with Rubber. It's a part of their sound I am not sure they'll ever shake completely. It's doesn't irk me immensely, but it's there and it keeps rating these guys in check.

I agree with Geoff about HS having retained some of the elements that turned some people off in the past. Despite us all enjoying similar styles of music and even many of the same artists our tastes will generally differ when it comes to individual songs and albums. A good example of that is the recent thread about "perfect" songs. There are some songs from that topic I love and some that wouldn't even land in my top 10 from the respective bands. I think United is really good and it is in my top 5 for 2017, so far. But to put that in perspective, I would probably rank it as #5 or #6 out of all their albums, for me. If you enjoyed some of their releases since Voice of Reason then this one should be worth adding to your collection , but if you only got into their debut and/or Mood Swings you will probably only find some of the tracks on United to your liking.

HS are a funny band for me. Absolutely loved the early stuff, totally lost them around 'Karma Cleansing' 'Big Bang Theory' and the terrible Rubber stuff, got back on track for 'WOTW' and 'Higher', didn't like 'Overload' liked 'Human Nature', but didn't like 'Hope' or 'Thirteen'. Yoyo syndrome band. The new one is very strong though, with some great songs...not a masterpiece by any stretch of the imagination, but back on track,.................for now ;)

I some what agree with the up down, first 2 great, passed on everything till WOTW and Higher which are both great. 1 or 2 songs from Overload and Hope, most of Human Nature is really good and a couple from Thirteen. New album fits right in with WOTW and Higher.

I some what agree with the up down, first 2 great, passed on everything till WOTW and Higher which are both great. 1 or 2 songs from Overload and Hope, most of Human Nature is really good and a couple from Thirteen. New album fits right in with WOTW and Higher.
What he said!

You sir have great taste in Van Halen songs and now I agree with your thoughts exactly on HS.

Yeah guys before we start making silly comments about HS lets just click back into reality.

They might not have reached the heady heights of the debut or Higher but even so lesser HS albums like Overload and Hope are still better than 90% of bands out there.

Human Nature was amazing imo.

At least half of 13 was great.

I just went through and listed all of my favorite Harem Scarem tracks from Weight Of The World to United.

Weight Of The World

Weight Of The World

Killing Me
Outside Your Window
All I Want
This Ain't Over
If You
Voice Inside
End Of Time

Higher

Reach
Waited
Torn Right Out
Give It To You
Higher
Run And Hide
Lucky Ones
Lies
Gone
Lost
Wishing

Overload

Dagger
Afterglow
Rise & Fall
Don't Come Easy
Can't Live With You
Forgive & Forget
All You're Getting
Leading Me On
Understand You

Human Nature

Human Nature
Next Time Around
Caught Up In Your World
Reality
Hanging On
Don't Throw It Away
Starlight
Going Under
Tomorrow May Be Gone

Hope

Watch Your Back
Time Bomb
Hope
Days Are Numbered
Dark Times
Beyond Repair
Never Too Late
Shooting Star
Nothing Without You

Garden Of Eden
Early Warning Signs
The Midnight Hours
Whatever It Takes
Saints And Sinners
All I Need
Troubled Times
Never Say Never
Stardust

United

United

Here Today, Gone Tomorrow
Sinking Ship
One Of Life's Mysteries
Bite The Bullet
Things I Know
Heaven And Earth
Indestructible

Yeah guys before we start making silly comments about HS lets just click back into reality.

They might not have reached the heady heights of the debut or Higher but even so lesser HS albums like Overload and Hope are still better than 90% of bands out there.

Human Nature was amazing imo.

At least half of 13 was great.

Not so good HS albums better than"90%" of the other bands out there???!!!! Come on!

Most bands cant even dream to write songs like them. True mate.

Um, no

• My Little Pony

Most bands cant even dream to write songs like them. True mate.

Um, no

HS > HOL

;)

Yeah, but who in their right mind would ever argue otherwise?