Track list of the year

Interesting list. I like the One Desire, Eclipse and HEAT albums but would choose a lot of songs above the ones you chose, from those albums. 

I partly agree with George about 'Big City Dream.' It's the best song on a rather weak album... but I grew less and less interested in it every time I heard it, the point where - although it's still the best on the album, easily - it's probably only a 8/10 at absolute best for me. 

For the record, I have not heard the NFO album and just not sure it's worth my time. I can listen to that song and say, yes, that is pretty cool... if it was 1979 and that came out. I'd probably think it was the best song of the year in 1979 to be 100% honest. It's nice. Problem is, it's 2017 and that sound can't work for me compared to what else is on offer. But I can see how/why you old fellas would really dig this. Good luck to the guys. Old men still need a kick every now and then too. ;)

The Nights - well of course that's about the best song of the year. Have they released something now? Or is it all just songs from an album to be released next year? I love that. If an album's been released this year I need to have it now. 

Cool list, mate. 

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ha ha you make me laugh Geoff. you ain' no spring chicken anymore dude.

the fact is simple with NFO. easily the best album of 2017. best melodies best choruses best variety best everything. Fact.

imo Jaded is the 2nd best song on Eclipse. fantastic tune....exactly what I want to hear from them. unlike that Eden garbage which is pure shit.

Dream City Kid is just Fab imo. could listen to that song all day long and not get bored.

15 hours ago, Glen said:

ha ha you make me laugh Geoff. you ain' no spring chicken anymore dude.

the fact is simple with NFO. easily the best album of 2017. best melodies best choruses best variety best everything. Fact.

imo Jaded is the 2nd best song on Eclipse. fantastic tune....exactly what I want to hear from them. unlike that Eden garbage which is pure shit.

Dream City Kid is just Fab imo. could listen to that song all day long and not get bored.

No, I'm far from a spring chicken. Blink and I'll be older than you, the rate that it's going. 

I did try to play the NFO album today, out of pure curiosity. Definitely, definitely not my kind of thing. I didn't make it halfway through the second song, lol. Like I said above, it is obviously, blatantly aimed towards people who like that mid to late 70's kind of sound in terms of production and song. Something I have made no secret about my distaste for. In fact, it's kind of a nightmare album for me, concentrating on everything I dislike. ;)

BUT! I get it. I get it's appeal for you old(er) folk than me, who grew up in this era and love bands from this era, because there is no doubt they have nailed that sound. It's just like me when I hear something that sounds like it's from 1989 - my balls expand and sometimes burst with excitement. When I hear something that sounds like 1979, however, they shrivel. :(

for me though NFO isn't about an era cos mainly I don't like 70s music but I love this band. Just on a different level in terms of songwriting 

stuff like Jennie or Something Mysterious are just a joy to my ears. 

16 hours ago, Glen said:

ironic though isn't it that the production on NFO is miles better than Midnite City. ;)

lol. Perhaps to some. ;) I can't say I think it's a bad production job because it is - I'm sure - 100% what they were after from the production. 

However, it sounds terrible, lol. There's a reason why albums stopped sounding like that as technology advanced in the 80's and then beyond. The sound, to me, is 10 times worse than Midnite City... but because it's intentional you can't call it bad, I guess. 

5 hours ago, Geoff said:

lol. Perhaps to some. ;) I can't say I think it's a bad production job because it is - I'm sure - 100% what they were after from the production. 

However, it sounds terrible, lol. There's a reason why albums stopped sounding like that as technology advanced in the 80's and then beyond. The sound, to me, is 10 times worse than Midnite City... but because it's intentional you can't call it bad, I guess. 

you can argue all you like about the style but the mix on NFO is terrific. every instrument is cleary defined. The tone sounds a million bucks. listen to Domino or something mysterious and tell me that isn't crystal clear.

Midnite City is flat, boomy, and muddy.

• 3 weeks later...

My favourite songs of 2017;

1     .    FM-84     -     Never Stop

2     .     Story of the Year     -     I Swear I'm Okay

3     .    7th Heaven     -     If You Change Your Mind

4     .     Midnite City     -     Nothing's Like Losing You

5     .    One Desire     -     Love Injection

6     .     The Cruel Intentions     -     Sick Adrenaline

7     .    Confess    .    How Could I Let You Go

8     .     One Desire     -     This Is Where The Heartbreak Begins

9     .    The Nights     -     You Belong to Me Tonight

10     .     Midnite City     -     Summer of Our Lives

11     .    Midnite City     -     Think About You

12     .     Crazy Lixx     -     Live Before I Die

13     .    Coldrain     -     Envy

14     .     Midnite City     -     Ghosts of My Old Friends

15     .    Babylon A.D.     -     Last Time for Love

16     .     Save the World     -     I Wish

17     .    Creye     -     Never Too Late

18     .     Romeo Riot     -     Cry

19     .    Houston     -     Amazing

20     .     Bonfire     -     Praying 4 A Miracle

21     .    Midnite City     -     Everything You Meant to Me

22     .     Midnite City     -     Can't Wait for the Nights

23     .    One Desire     -     Turn Back Time

24     .     Crazy Lixx     -     Walk The Wire

25     .    Eclipse     -     Killing Me

26     .     Wraith     -     Into The Fire

27     .    Degreed     -     Shakedown

28     .     Santa Cruz     -     River Phoenix

29     .    Midnite City     -     We Belong

30     .    Waltham     -     Summer Nights

15 hours ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

Did you forget to listen to Harem Scarem?

Haha. Nah mate. 'One of life's mysteries' was no word of a lie probably my 31st favourite song of the year. 

I do like the HS album and it rated well, as did a couple of the songs on it. But if I'm being honest, it just didn't have the return playability of my favourite albums this year. I never reached out to listen to it unprompted and didn't even get excited when it came on those couple of times a month. Good stuff... I just liked a lot better in 2017. 

• My Little Pony
8 hours ago, Geoff said:

Haha. Nah mate. 'One of life's mysteries' was no word of a lie probably my 31st favourite song of the year. 

I do like the HS album and it rated well, as did a couple of the songs on it. But if I'm being honest, it just didn't have the return playability of my favourite albums this year. I never reached out to listen to it unprompted and didn't even get excited when it came on those couple of times a month. Good stuff... I just liked a lot better in 2017. 

I can't even argue with you, because I've heard next to nothing new this year. I decided to cut out buying music as I'm trying to buy a house, which meant I didn't visit this site so often to reduce the temptation. You may have been wondering why it's been so pleasant around here lately. Now you know why. 

As for your list, I only know your numbers 1 and 30. 

15 hours ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

I can't even argue with you, because I've heard next to nothing new this year. I decided to cut out buying music as I'm trying to buy a house, which meant I didn't visit this site so often to reduce the temptation. You may have been wondering why it's been so pleasant around here lately. Now you know why. 

As for your list, I only know your numbers 1 and 30. 

For the record, my 30 is nowhere near 30th. I did that list in a hurry at 2am on a Wednesday morning and I plucked the Waltham song from a list I had not updated and threw it on the bottom to round out a 29 song list to 30, because I wanted to sleep. Looking at the list, realistically, the Waltham song should be 9th. Not that anyone cares, lol. 

Also, I've probably been here as much as you this year and not been here enough to notice any absences. Had a really busy year, but a lot of my online time has been dedicated to photo stuff. I still love to come and check in here to keep moderately up to date with things, though. 

In all seriousness, though, rather than missing out on music, why don't you just join the digital scene? Yeah, it still costs money, but not as much as CDs. And it's so much more convenient, and it is cheaper. Just means you don't miss out on a whole year's worth of music because you don't want to buy CDs. Anyway, up to you. 

And good luck with the house - smart move, concentrating on that. There's defo more important things in life than CDs and a house would certainly be one of those. I look forward to your housewarming party where we can share a cup of tea, a homebrew, hug, share a cupcake... and then fight. ;) 

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/01/2018 at 7:36 PM, Geoff said:

My favourite songs of 2017;

1     .    FM-84     -     Never Stop

2     .     Story of the Year     -     I Swear I'm Okay

3     .    7th Heaven     -     If You Change Your Mind

4     .     Midnite City     -     Nothing's Like Losing You

5     .    One Desire     -     Love Injection

6     .     The Cruel Intentions     -     Sick Adrenaline

7     .    Confess    .    How Could I Let You Go

8     .     One Desire     -     This Is Where The Heartbreak Begins

9     .    The Nights     -     You Belong to Me Tonight

10     .     Midnite City     -     Summer of Our Lives

11     .    Midnite City     -     Think About You

12     .     Crazy Lixx     -     Live Before I Die

13     .    Coldrain     -     Envy

14     .     Midnite City     -     Ghosts of My Old Friends

15     .    Babylon A.D.     -     Last Time for Love

16     .     Save the World     -     I Wish

17     .    Creye     -     Never Too Late

18     .     Romeo Riot     -     Cry

19     .    Houston     -     Amazing

20     .     Bonfire     -     Praying 4 A Miracle

21     .    Midnite City     -     Everything You Meant to Me

22     .     Midnite City     -     Can't Wait for the Nights

23     .    One Desire     -     Turn Back Time

24     .     Crazy Lixx     -     Walk The Wire

25     .    Eclipse     -     Killing Me

26     .     Wraith     -     Into The Fire

27     .    Degreed     -     Shakedown

28     .     Santa Cruz     -     River Phoenix

29     .    Midnite City     -     We Belong

30     .    Waltham     -     Summer Nights

Agreed! FM-84 - Never Stop is the best and my favourite song too of 2017. 

I thought Save the world - I wish and Crazy Lixx - Walk the wire would probably end up in ur top 5 and top 10 respectively. To each their own, but I thought these 2 songs were just outstanding and better than the some of the songs in your top 10( except Love Injection and Nothing's Like Losing You).

Nice list by the way. 8 out of my top 10 are on your list. Righteous Vendetta - Doomed and NFO - Gemini are the other two.

3 hours ago, Ponen said:

Agreed! FM-84 - Never Stop is the best and my favourite song too of 2017. 

I thought Save the world - I wish and Crazy Lixx - Walk the wire would probably end up in ur top 5 and top 10 respectively. To each their own, but I thought these 2 songs were just outstanding and better than the some of the songs in your top 10( except Love Injection and Nothing's Like Losing You).

Nice list by the way. 8 out of my top 10 are on your list. Righteous Vendetta - Doomed and NFO - Gemini are the other two.

Thanks mate. Righteous Vendetta - Doomed would be right up there for me too. On reflection, probably worth a spot in the 20-30 range. 

15 hours ago, Glen said:

I listened to that Doomed track out of curiosity. mmm I'll pass on that. it's full of cookie monster vocals 

Before the chorus completely blows your face off. 

• 6 months later...

...then 'njoy the 2018 Track List Summer Edition! ? ?

01. Maverick - Cold Star Dancer

Spoiler

02. W.E.T. - Kings On Thunder Road

Spoiler

03. Shiraz Lane - Tidal Wave

Spoiler

04. Treat - Build The Love

Spoiler

05. Kissin' Dynamite - Still Around

Spoiler

06. Vega - Only Human

Spoiler

07. No Sleep For Lucy - Moments

Spoiler

08. The Night Flight Orchestra - Sometimes The World Ain't Enough

Spoiler

09. Perfect Plan - Stone Cold Lover

Spoiler

10. Station - More Than The Moon

Spoiler

11. Ammunition - Eye For An Eye

Spoiler

12. Odyssey Desperado - Holding On To A Dream

Spoiler

(No Ted Poley's track was damned creating this post as seems he doesn't like them in Youtube, only promos).

I can only do 10 -

1. WET - Watch the Fire

2. Perfect Plan - Stone Cold Lover

3. Kissin Dynamite - Waging War

4. Tremonti - The First The Last

5. Lebrock- Please Don't Cry

6. NFO - Turn to Miami 

7. Steve Perry - No Erasin 

8. Gathering of Kings - Forever and a Day

9. Vega - Mess You Made

10. Don Vedda - F You 

I'll have a play at this;

1. End Of An Era - Summer Wars

2. Real Thing - Lebrock

3. Runaway - Lebrock

4. Time - Ted Poley

5. All You Need Is A Heartbeat - Station

6. Through - Gioeli, Castronovo

7. This Love Will Last Forever - Swedish Funk Revival

8. Remember Me - Gioeli, Castronovo

9. Penthouse Floor - DeVicious

10. Only the Brave - Lebrock

I was looking back at others lists after I did mine and saw that this was for 2017
Anyway here's my 2018 list so far

Pop Evil - Rewind

Kissin' Dynamite - You're Not Alone

Thadeus Gonzalez - Stand On Ceremony

W.E.T. - Calling Out Your Name

Little Caesar - Time Enough For That

CoreLeoni - Let It Be

Five Finger Death Punch - Sham Pain

SteelCity - Too Little Too Late

Ammunition - Time

Station - More Than The Moon

The Dead Daisies - Set Me Free