Best of 2016 lists posted!

heavyharmonies

Very little consensus amongs Mike, Pete, Jez, Terry, and myself, with the exception of one album that made the top 5 in four of the five lists. Other than that one album, ZERO crossovers.

http://www.heavyharmonies.com/cgi-bin/2016best.cgi

Feel free to comment and leave your own lists, either here, on that page, or both.

-Dan

Interesting yeah but i was left scratching my head at most of it.

For clarity from my perspective, I only rate records and bands that I have acquired physical copies of their material within the year. SO as you can see NOTHING mainstream or Frontiers released in my lists. Only deep web independent releases need apply for me as these are the hidden gems and the bands that truly need our support.

Because??

Just didnt agree with most of it. But hey its all peoples opinion which as i said is always interesting.

I did like your comments though....a lot of effort put in by all.

:)

Because??

Just didnt agree with most of it. But hey its all peoples opinion which as i said is always interesting.

I did like your comments though....a lot of effort put in by all.

:)

That's what is good about it..all mostly different, although most did feature in one way or another the supposed bigger releases like Treat, Defiants, Vega, First Signal, etc (even if they didn't all hit the top spot) plus some welcome curve balls as well......I like curve balls ;)

Wowser. I spent a lot of time on that, and most of all, found over 10 albums that I missed through the year that I want to check out.

But yeah, just wow. So many things worthy of note, but that I've forgotten by now. Wigelius on only two honourable mentions, and no top 5's? Ouch.

Vega, which I was also a little disappointed with, but also only in a couple of lists.

White Widdow all but not acknowledged at all.

Ted Poley - one of what I'd have thought would be the most accessible albums of the year for all, only acknowledged by the one person I thought would not like it!! WTF? That one baffled me hugely.

Cry Of Dawn - only one acknowledgement? Really? Yowser.

But anyway, I could go on all night. Just very surprised with a lot of it, but at the end of the day, to each their own.

Oh, and First Signal. Basically hated by one and all. ;) Just because that was my fave of the year, I found that a bit wild too.

Biggest wtf defo goes to Mike, though. Tyketto, number one? Wow mate, we definitely heard polar opposite albums when we put that one in our tape deck, mate. ;) I hated that one.

Anyway, thanks for the write-ups, guys. Always an interesting read. And thanks for the handful of tips for albums I hadn't heard.

For clarity from my perspective, I only rate records and bands that I have acquired physical copies of their material within the year. SO as you can see NOTHING mainstream or Frontiers released in my lists. Only deep web independent releases need apply for me as these are the hidden gems and the bands that truly need our support.

Haha, jeez mate, you would get on like a mad lover with the guy I catch the train with most afternoons. It's an interesting perspective, but one I so, so wholeheartedly disagree with. But as above, to each their own, mate. ;) I hope those releases give you a lot of pleasure and you don't regret one day missing out on what may actually have been better music for the sake of supporting the unknowns (who, quite frankly, imo, are often unknown for a reason). ;)

Seriously, though, mate, you fight that fight. I'll let my mate know there's another one of you out there.

Was Enbound's 'The Blackened Heart' release not considered? I do not believe I saw that one on anyone's list. This one was squarely in my top ten for 2016. I also thought the debut of Grand Slam deserved more love.

Some good lists for sure. Why are we not able to leave comments on the list page?

You can. Scroll down to the bottom of the page. You will have to sign in.

I don't think that is the case. The comment widget needs to be added to the page..

If you tried to leave comments but couldn't, please try again. I had one of the file permissions set incorrectly.

i just had a look but no can do. Even when I'm logged in, I can't make any comments. I just states you must be logged in.

If you tried to leave comments but couldn't, please try again. I had one of the file permissions set incorrectly.

i just had a look but no can do. Even when I'm logged in, I can't make any comments. I just states you must be logged in.

Looks good now. Thanks!

Looks good now. Thanks!

Yep. Works now.

• My Little Pony

Biggest wtf defo goes to Mike, though. Tyketto, number one? Wow mate, we definitely heard polar opposite albums when we put that one in our tape deck, mate. ;) I hated that one.

Yeah, but you don't even like Tyketto. Save three songs, you simply don't really like them.

Love these lists. Amazing how many albums I've not listened to on these lists.

Most things I like in there somewhere. A few albums I rate that are underrepresented, or not listed at all, are the Gene and the Werewolf, loved it, and The Tip, Sailor's Grave, which I played a lot.

Yeah, but you don't even like Tyketto. Save three songs, you simply don't really like them.

Yep. Because, um... yeah, that'd be because they suck. ;)

Anyway, I also wanted to make mention of the Grand Slam. I actually had the opposite with what Dan and the other fella said above. That came on strong for me and rated very well, but I absolutely hated playing it again, and would end up skipping most the album. It's one of those albums that sounded good, but for me, the songs just had no replay value. I love that 'Come on and rock my world' song, but that was it for me in the end, sadly.

Gotta say, for the same reason, Dan's adoration of the Rage Of Angels album was probably my second biggest surprise after Mike's no.1. Another album that sounded okay at first, but just had zero replay value for me. The problem with it, for me, is that yes, the songs are really, really long. But the main issue is, they're just so repetitive. Even that 'Don't change the TV that's what my girlfriend said to me' song, which imo is by far the best hook on the album... but even that just gets to repetitive every time, taking away from actually really enjoying the song.

Anyway, to each their own. Like I said, there were heaps of things I disagreed with across all lists, but that's the beauty of opinions.

I forgot to declare my winner too. I think Pete was the winner two years ago and Jez last year. Let me see for this year...

Well, if I had to declare a winner this year, it would actually be our fearless leader. Well done, Dan. The ROA at number two is a real curve ball for me, but the other four in your top five were good picks. ;)

yeah except for that Goran Edman disc................ ;)

Did you listen to it properly? Really nice album, with top quality melodic rock.