Revolution Saints - 2017

Mr. M

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must be hearing something different from you guys cause that is just plain average to me.

Sounds like a Journey leftover from the Raised On Radio album.

Which is why I dig it. Raised on Radio is a fantastic album

• 2023 Gold Donors

I must be hearing something different from you guys cause that is just plain average to me.

Agree it's my favorite Journey album. But I meant this would have been left over as it was seen to be not good enough to make the album.

Now if RS are wanting to sound like a 3rd rate Journey with this very average melodic rock by numbers then they have hit the nail on the head.

I'm digging that first tune a lot!

I saw Night Ranger a couple weeks back in Salem, Oregon (Deen's hometown) and he sat-in on a few tracks.

His attitude, playing and singing were great. He did not look the best, however. Hard to explain, and I certainly do not want to make any assumptions, so I'll leave it at that. Hopefully he was just really jazzed to be playing on his home turf.

My second favorite Journey album... hard for anything or anyone to compete with Escape.

ROR was released my senior year of high school and I played the living hell out of it the entire summer of 1986. LOTS of fond memories of that one and specifically that period of time. Oh to be 18 years-old in the mid '80's once again!

My second favorite Journey album... hard for anything or anyone to compete with Escape.

ROR was released my senior year of high school and I played the living hell out of it the entire summer of 1986. LOTS of fond memories of that one and specifically that period of time. Oh to be 18 years-old in the mid '80's once again!

Oh yeah, Raised on Radio rocks lots of memories for me too albeit a few years after its release cause I was born in 1988 LOL....... what was that like back then? From the live footage etc. I think the album and subsequent tour were pretty successful. So did the band just call it quits after the tour, was there a falling out in the press, or just an ''indefinite'' hiatus.... how did you experience the whole thing back then?

Oh yeah, Raised on Radio rocks lots of memories for me too albeit a few years after its release cause I was born in 1988 LOL....... what was that like back then? From the live footage etc. I think the album and subsequent tour were pretty successful. So did the band just call it quits after the tour, was there a falling out in the press, or just an ''indefinite'' hiatus.... how did you experience the whole thing back then?

If I recall correctly, there was a lot going on just prior to and during the recording of that album. Steve Perry's mom was very ill, they replaced Ross and Steve Smith and brought in session players to record most of the bass and drum parts. After the album and tour finished I believe it was Steve who announced he was going on hiatus after the recording/producing/touring/personal matters during the prior years took their toll on him.

It's difficult to explain... I'm not trying to be a cop-out, but you really had to be there and take it all in to fully understand.

The 80's were, well, just different. The culture, the music, the movies, the fashion, the hair styles... yes, even the cologne! It was all awesome back then. I sometimes cringe looking at old photos now, but it was all REAL back then!

Summer of 1986 through summer of 1987 was about as perfect a time in my life as anyone could imagine. I won't go into dramatic personal detail as I don't want to bore many of y'all... but I'd just graduated from high school and had the most awesome (at the time) girlfriend; My life was just about perfect back then.

Back to Journey... ROR didn't receive incredible fanfare as I remember. I mean 40% of the Escape / Frontiers line-up had been "fired" by Steve Perry and AOR had been replaced by hair metal on the radio and on MTV. I suppose there were a couple of big radio hits (Be Good To Yourself and I'll Be Alright Without You), but you have to remember, Escape and Frontiers sold like 20 million copies, and ROR didn't have a "Faithully" nor an "Open Arms" to fall back on. But that didn't stop my friends and I from playing that cassette tape nearly every single day. And I was lucky enough to see the tour here in Portland, Oregon late in the summer of 1986 (sometime in August IIRC).

But Journey just kind of "ended" after that. Bad English formed in 1988, and next thing I knew, 10 years had passed before TRIAL BY FIRE was released. By then, Journey's time had passed and we all know the story from there. Yes, they're still a very popular touring band, but it's certainly more nostalgia now than anything. But what an awesome ride it was!

Yes, to do it all over again! I was 17 when ROR came out.

So damn lucky! Wasn't born till 89. I couldn't imagine 86 to 87 with all the big albums out those years. I was clearly born in the wrong generation.

I was 16 when ror was released. Awesome as a teenager.

Yep!

So damn lucky! Wasn't born till 89. I couldn't imagine 86 to 87 with all the big albums out those years. I was clearly born in the wrong generation.

1986 / 1987 spawned some of the greatest albums in the history of music for those of us who appreciate sites such as this.

I mean the Slippery When Wet and Hysteria Tours were basically criss-crossing America the same time in 1987. Toss in albums like Europe - Final Countdown, White Lion - Pride, Whitesnake - S/T, Boston - Third Stage, Cinderella - Night Songs, Poison - Look What The Cat Dragged In, David Lee Roth - Eat Em and Smile , Van Halen 5150, GNR - Appetite, and on and on and on (and those are just some of the BIG name bands I remember off the top of my head), and what a great couple years it was.

Hell, go back another three years to include my entire high school tenure and I could not have asked for more. And remember, it was like 1982 when MTV was brand new. I cannot begin to express how important that channel was to me and my friends back then! MTV and Circus Magazine and it was like Christmas morning every day for me back then!

But relish the fact you're 20 years younger than me, my friend. That will certainly come in handy for you some day!

I have to say that the video is a bit cheesy.

Have you seen KROKUS - SCREAMING IN THE NIGHT?

Even as a 15 year-old I thought that was the most ridiculous thing I'd ever seen.

But that was when cheesy was the norm. This is 2017!

Sounds like it could have been lifted from the debut. The silly inspiro lyrics are lame, but it's a really cool tune that, like I say, sounds like it was recorded in the same sessions as the debut.

• 3 weeks later...