Can't buy it all

Jacob M.

I know music purchases are changing. We're all changing as the years go by. I seem to be one of the few who are still buying a lot of cds. One of my greatest frustrations is that I can never buy it all.

So many times over the years I've seen cd's reissued and before I can buy it the cd is already out of production. That shit even happens with new releases as well. I just can't keep up.

Even if my some miracle my pay doubled tomorrow I'm not sure I could buy it all. I would in all likelihood end up with a stack of 500 unlistened to cds in my apartment though. I can barely keep up with the cds I can afford.

It will end, I was the same. One day you'll go over some CDs and think why did I buy that....Then you realise you have hundreds of them. There's just not that many good or great CDs to keep purchasing like crazy!

I used to buy an average of 3 to 5 tapes or cd's a week in the late 80's and early 90's...especially when the used market became a thing. Now it's a really, really good year if I buy an average of 2 a month. 2016 was the first time since 2010 or 2011 that I bought over 20 cd's in a year.

Now that HMV are closing their doors here in Canada, I imagine my online purchases will be even greater, % wise...with only the pathetic cd selection at Walmart left around here.

• 2023 Gold Donors

I love the fact that music and band info is so much more easily obtainable now than in the old days. If anything, it's probably too easy.

I'm not as OCD about owning CD's as i used to be and i'm quite happy with MP3s etc, although i'm constantly fighting the battle of spending too much time collecting and not enough time listening.

I've got something spinning in the car all day and i sleep with headphones on (nothing better than waking up in the middle of the night to a great song. Being semi conscious almost allows you to become one with the music.), but i still have accumulated quite a few albums that i haven't given much of a listen to.

That was the beauty of the old days. When you bought a CD, you had time to give it a good listen until the next one came along.

But as KarpetRyd said, very much a first world problem. I'm certainly not complaining.

I love the fact that music and band info is so much more easily obtainable now than in the old days. If anything, it's probably too easy.

I'm not as OCD about owning CD's as i used to be and i'm quite happy with MP3s etc, although i'm constantly fighting the battle of spending too much time collecting and not enough time listening.

I've got something spinning in the car all day and i sleep with headphones on (nothing better than waking up in the middle of the night to a great song. Being semi conscious almost allows you to become one with the music.), but i still have accumulated quite a few albums that i haven't given much of a listen to.

That was the beauty of the old days. When you bought a CD, you had time to give it a good listen until the next one came along.

But as KarpetRyd said, very much a first world problem. I'm certainly not complaining.

Yeah I can relate to that 'issue'......already from January I have about 4 or 5 albums backed up.....and this is just getting around to listening to them, let alone actually spending some time with an album, which will probably kick off from 24.02 when something decent gets released ;)

In a way I miss the old days (ie early 80s) when you got one or 2 releases a month and you had some real quality time with each one, without fearing you were missing 10 other releases.

• My Little Pony

Yeah I can relate to that 'issue'......already from January I have about 4 or 5 albums backed up.....and this is just getting around to listening to them, let alone actually spending some time with an album, which will probably kick off from 24.02 when something decent gets released ;)

In a way I miss the old days (ie early 80s) when you got one or 2 releases a month and you had some real quality time with each one, without fearing you were missing 10 other releases.

I often think of quitting new music, and just going after the old releases. Honestly, I'm rarely blown away by these new releases. However, I want to still be a part of the conversation, and the fear of missing out keeps my feet firmly planted on both sides.

I think that's the beauty of keeping personal ratings, you don't have to buy em all and just stick to the top 10 or 20, or stretch up to top 50 on any given year. That way you'll limit your collection only to highly-rated Cd that guaranteed to be frequently spun.

There was a sale on at Eonian recently. I ended up buying most of their releases. I wasn't looking to buy any more music when I discovered it. I'm just thankful I did. I'm still annoyed I missed out on the majority of the Suncity releases. Also stuff like Jones Street and the newer Tigertailz.