Streaming taking over the music industry

PeterS

I'd be curious to know how many of the CD collectors out there are doing it with a family, or if most CD collectors are kid free.

I have two kids (9 and 14) and I still collect...but my focus has shifted from "I have to own all of the newest/coolest releases as soon as they hit the street" to "Let's see what interesting CDs Daddy can find dirt cheap at Goodwill today," haha

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be curious to know how many of the CD collectors out there are doing it with a family, or if most CD collectors are kid free.

I have two kids (9 and 14) and I still collect...but my focus has shifted from "I have to own all of the newest/coolest releases as soon as they hit the street" to "Let's see what interesting CDs Daddy can find dirt cheap at Goodwill today," haha

Haha. Yeah, mate, I've seen your collecting habits and I don't think your kids are going to miss out on an education because of all the Japanese versions of hyper rare CDs you've been buying. ;) Keep the dream alive, man. Keep it. Alive.

Haha. Yeah, mate, I've seen your collecting habits and I don't think your kids are going to miss out on an education because of all the Japanese versions of hyper rare CDs you've been buying. ;) Keep the dream alive, man. Keep it. Alive.

But for me its not what im buying - well it is to a degree - it's where to store it!! Even if I could buy every album for £1 I still wouldn't as I'd have mounds of cds everywhere

The fact that Spotify is a fixed amount per month also keeps my spending under control, whilst still having access to all the music I want to listen to. I just can't afford every release anymore and refuse to illegally download anything. Just not right or clever.

Interestingly when you google search about downloaded music on Spotify the mind boggles at the number of people who actually believe they then own this music, even though they have never actually bought it. Just goes to show the mindset of the general public towards music. Then someone else retorts don't rely on Spotify to build a library of music just Torrent it.............!!

Wow, just wow.

It's as if they think they have a God given right to free music.

I guess if Spotify did cease to exist it would be a bit of a pain, but to be honest I never really rely on a library to 'pick' music, I just search an artist I fancy listening to and off I go - so reverting to a different streaming service wouldn't be the end of the world.

I don't think your kids are going to miss out on an education because of all the Japanese versions of hyper rare CDs you've been buying.

Haha! Yep, though honestly even before I had young'uns I never really gave a rat's ass about having all those HYPER MEGA ULTRA RARE SILVER PRESSED JAPANESE INDIES WITH OBI anyway.... I've always been a cheap bastard. :D

I don't think your kids are going to miss out on an education because of all the Japanese versions of hyper rare CDs you've been buying.

Haha! Yep, though honestly even before I had young'uns I never really gave a rat's ass about having all those HYPER MEGA ULTRA RARE SILVER PRESSED JAPANESE INDIES WITH OBI anyway.... I've always been a cheap bastard. :D

Fixed it for ya, buddy! :tumbsup:

sealed HYPER MEGA ULTRA RARE SILVER PRESSED JAPANESE INDIES WITH OBI

• My Little Pony

My fucking kids have been streaming online gaming, Netflix and Kpop.

6 kids all streaming Modern Family etc every week adds up.

500gb is just getting us through the month.

So I pretty much banned it all.

Yup. Streaming anything at a tolerable resolution adds up real quick.

• My Little Pony

Sealed hyper rare Japanese pressings don't interest me, but collecting/listening to rare indies does. And I highly doubt those can be found on any streaming service, so it still seems pointless for me.

• My Little Pony

The only 3 albums this year i couldnt find on Spotify were Mecca, Midnight Drive and Catalona.

Well, yeah, because Mecca is on Andrew's label, and Catalano was an indie release. A great deal of our genre's releases are independent or on small labels. Not likely to be found on streaming services.

The only 3 albums this year i couldnt find on Spotify were Mecca, Midnight Drive and Catalona.

Well, yeah, because Mecca is on Andrew's label, and Catalano was an indie release. A great deal of our genre's releases are independent or on small labels. Not likely to be found on streaming services.

I found everything else thanks :)

Dude I think you should be able to find one of those, just search CATALANO instead of Catalona :D If I remember correctly I saw the singer giving status updates on how many plays his songs have had on Spotify so I think it should be on there. Just try: Catalano - Dark Skies

Sealed hyper rare Japanese pressings don't interest me, but collecting/listening to rare indies does. And I highly doubt those can be found on any streaming service, so it still seems pointless for me.

I've never had any interest in Japanese releases, or hyper rare stuff in any form other than CDR or MP3, because 99% of the time the album turns out to be shit. Why pay insane amounts of money for shit, when you used to be able to pay decent amounts of money for good albums?

Anyway, your point about not being able to find a lot of interesting stuff on Spotify is valid. I have never used it, but my brother has had a few of these types of site in the past and always asks me to name something to find and I always stump him on my first suggestion.

For example, is the No Love Lost album with the guy from Star City Meltdown, released in 2009, I think, on there?

I have 3 kids 5,5 and 7 and still collect. I don't buy as much as I used to but I generally believe the scene is not as good as it used to be in both hard rock and metal. Then again I don't have as much time to search out music as I used to...That or it's too easy to hear new stuff and dismiss it.

I love rare Japanese pressings and so on. It's really about finding the best version of an album. Started I think with Savatage's Edge of Thorns in 1993. Love the album and then I find out that the Jap pressing has 2 more tracks that are as good as anything else on the CD. Never stopped after that!

I have 3 kids 5,5 and 7 and still collect. I don't buy as much as I used to but I generally believe the scene is not as good as it used to be in both hard rock and metal. Then again I don't have as much time to search out music as I used to...That or it's too easy to hear new stuff and dismiss it.

I love rare Japanese pressings and so on. It's really about finding the best version of an album. Started I think with Savatage's Edge of Thorns in 1993. Love the album and then I find out that the Jap pressing has 2 more tracks that are as good as anything else on the CD. Never stopped after that!

A recent observation:

Framework (vinyl) > Framework (European version) > Framework (Japanese version)

Especially in the skins department. Their drummer is a beast! And then we have the artwork (ok, not music related, but I really love it. If I wouldn't have to pay mortgage for one more year, I'd chase my opportunities to buy the original artwork.)!

Recent Observations on the spotify thingie:

1st and 2nd release from White Widdow disappeared (they were there a couple of weeks before)

1st, 2nd and 3rd release from Amaze Me disappeared.

It was offline for a week in the beginning of the December (not sure for the exact period).

A recent observation:

Especially in the skins department. Their drummer is a beast! And then we have the artwork (ok, not music related, but I really love it. If I wouldn't have to pay mortgage for one more year, I'd chase my opportunities to buy the original artwork.)!

1st and 2nd release from White Widdow disappeared (they were there a couple of weeks before)

It was offline for a week in the beginning of the December (not sure for the exact period).

Ive noticed that re White Widdow - doesn't really make sense as all 4 releases are on AOR Heaven so can't be down to a change in label.

There are a few bands with albums missing from discographies - mainly tend to be older releases - like the really early Def Lepp albums etc.

Doesn't bother me too much as I'm only really interesting in covering off all new releases....going back to 2014/15/16 there were loads I didn't get to hear - no problems now :)

A recent observation:

Ive noticed that re White Widdow - doesn't really make sense as all 4 releases are on AOR Heaven so can't be down to a change in label.

There are a few bands with albums missing from discographies - mainly tend to be older releases - like the really early Def Lepp albums etc.

Doesn't bother me too much as I'm only really interesting in covering off all new releases....going back to 2014/15/16 there were loads I didn't get to hear - no problems now :)

Almost wept while spinning this!

https://open.spotify.com/user/1288940929/playlist/2BIgcybAxRRyN5PJxjxry9

Omen + Warlord + Fates Warning were the first 3 logos I tattooed in my body!

Looking in how the great man behind Metal Blade has embraced this mighty tool, left me thinking if Spotify can really pave the way to more great music in the future (expansive technology) , or it is just another tool of supplementary technology.

I think buying CDs isn't really an expensive hobby at all, let's say you buy 4 CDs each month, that'll only cost you $60 (or $100 if you want Japan OBI stuffs), sometimes that's a cost for one single dinner or two right ? and if you intend to collect only the top 20 albums / year, actually you will only buy 2 or 3 CDs each month, that's even cheaper I guess :D

regarding storage, well you can always downsize to top 20 / year with a span of 20 years, you will limit yourself with only 400 CDs and actually that doesn't need a very large space, maybe your wife's shoes will occupy more space than that :D

I have a friend who compared his 1,000 CD collections to Spotify and his recent observations is about 35% doesn't exist at Spotify, maybe because there are some rare prog gems or guitar instrumentals, but eventually i think some artists will realize that streaming isn't really profitable for them and pull out

How do they get known?

Apparently a lot of bands are being "discovered" via YouTube nowadays. My sons (age 9 and 14) have found quite a few bands they like this way. When they punch in the names of bands they know (right now they're both obsessed with Green Day for some reason, haha) YouTube will eventually suggest some similar bands/videos in the "related videos" window.

Whatever works, I guess (shrugs).

Like thats gonna happen lol.

Spotify also recommends bands - been playing loads of stuff recently i wouldnt have touched.

& NT - i have space for 350 cds. Anything else ends up in piles or boxes. Having 3 kids doesnt help ;)

Yeah I don't know how the kids will hear old music. Then again most kids, unless they're into it, aren't interested in old stuff...It's always about what's next.

A few years ago tho when games like Guitar Hero were popular my nephew's were exposed to Warrant, Ozzy etc. and really liked it.

I think buying CDs isn't really an expensive hobby at all, let's say you buy 4 CDs each month, that'll only cost you $60 (or $100 if you want Japan OBI stuffs), sometimes that's a cost for one single dinner or two right ? and if you intend to collect only the top 20 albums / year, actually you will only buy 2 or 3 CDs each month, that's even cheaper I guess :D

regarding storage, well you can always downsize to top 20 / year with a span of 20 years, you will limit yourself with only 400 CDs and actually that doesn't need a very large space, maybe your wife's shoes will occupy more space than that :D

I have a friend who compared his 1,000 CD collections to Spotify and his recent observations is about 35% doesn't exist at Spotify, maybe because there are some rare prog gems or guitar instrumentals, but eventually i think some artists will realize that streaming isn't really profitable for them and pull out

Four CDs would cost $60? Where you buying from? I assume you mean in America, for Americans, in USD? Or probably Europeans too? But I'm sure you'd know, living in Indonesia, as much as we know in Australia, that that is a very inaccurate amount. Four new CDs might cost around the au$80, before postage. These days, that amounts to fuck knows what - probably at least au$20 for four CDs. So your four CDs per month are now costing at very least au$100. It's just stupid amounts of money that just doesn't need to be spent in the digital age when you have kids to consider.