Top 5 80's European Hard Rock bands that never went Gold in the U.

ResedaCountryClub

http://www.spreaker.com/user/4769264/ha ... episode-92

The segment starts at the 01.22 mark.

Here's the list of bands that I came up with: Top 5 80’s European Hard Rock bands that never went Gold in the U.S. (There are a lot more, but these are the ones I looked up.)

The Almighty
Bonfire
Bronz
D-A-D
Diamond Head
Electric Boys
Girl
Girlschool
Gorky Park
Gun
Hanoi Rocks
Heavy Pettin
Little Angels
Mama’s Boys
MSG
Pretty Maids
Raven
Rock Goddess
Samson
Saxon
Sleeze Beez
Stage Dolls
Tank
TNT
Treat
Tygers of Pan Tang
Vandenberg
Warlock
Waysted
Wolfsbane

Well, apart from Europe and Def Leppard, which European bands did actually go gold from the 80s?

Scorpions and Accept

Not very suprised by any of the names above except maybe Pretty Maids or Bonfire. Could have imagined one of them getting at least one gold record back in the day

Well, apart from Europe and Def Leppard, which European bands did actually go gold from the 80s?

Scorpions and Accept

Not very suprised by any of the names above except maybe Pretty Maids or Bonfire. Could have imagined one of them getting at least one gold record back in the day

Not at all surprised about Pretty Maids... my two most likely from the list would have been Bonfire (with 'Hard on me' and the 'Point Blank album) and Sleez Beez (with 'Stranger than paradise' and the 'Screwed...' album). But when you think about hit seriously, there's no way in the world they would ever have sold enough to be certified gold in the US, so in all honesty... none of the list surprises me one bit. My question was genuine, about how few would actually have done it. Scorpions is a good call.

Pink Cream 69 would be a good band to put in the missed out list too... unless they're not there because they did go gold in the US? Surely not??

Oh, and what's with this dude doing top 5 lists with about 50 bands? ;)

• My Little Pony

I thought for sure Gorky Park might have been able to secure a Gold off the strength of "Bang." Didn't they tour US quite extensively in support of the debut?

• My Little Pony

Oh, and what's with this dude doing top 5 lists with about 50 bands? ;)

Yeah, I was gonna say his maths was off.

Again. ;}

I thought for sure Gorky Park might have been able to secure a Gold off the strength of "Bang." Didn't they tour US quite extensively in support of the debut?

Imagine a shit album like that did go gold over all the bands mentioned in this thread, as well as the ones not mentioned (like Casanova, Fate etc). That album was pretty easy to find back when they still sold CDs, and that's always a good gauge as to how big a band may have been... but they were far to shit to "make it." ;)

Not sure who went gold or not but these are the bands I know were getting some attention on MTV headbangers ball.

TNT

Sleeze Beez

D.A.D.

MSG

Stage Dolls

Electric Boys

Gorky Park

Hanoi Rocks

Warlock

The Almighty

These two I only remember seeing one video

Bonfire - Sword and Stone - did get played a few times though

This was more of a promotion of the shocker soundtrack

But luckily our music store did have their cassettes available for purchase.

Great band that should of been much bigger in the U.S.

Little Angels
I know they played Boneyard at least once
I think one of the magazines gave a good article on them which is what got my interest.

• My Little Pony

Gorgy Park. I am fairly confident I know not one song of theirs. And I suspect I should keep it that way?

Most will say yes in regards to their debut, though I like it, but you really ought to check out their second album. And then ignore everything after.

I'm really surprised at The Almighty getting played on MTV. Couple of decent tunes but certainly nothing special.

I think it was Free 'N Easy they played all the time. Which I never thought was that great. Never heard any of their albums though.

It's a shit song. If they pushed 'Bandaged Knees' off their second album they might have had a chance... until people heard the rest of their albums. That was one great song from an otherwise very average band. 'Jesus Loves You... But I Don't' from their 3rd album deserves a mention too - cool tune.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Damn starting to be like drumming for Spinal Tap, dont take any lead vocalist jobs available in Metal Church, and perhaps somebody oughta put old boy Ronnie Munroe on notice, he may want to like construct a life room or something to live the rest of his days out in.
    • This is hilarious, my dads older brother, my uncle Mike, retired at the beginning of 2019, his wife my aunt died in 1990, all he's done is work and make mega money, all my cousins are grown up, and I guess he got bored and at 64 he figured ya cant take it when you go, so he announced he was getting married, almost a month b4 he retired, he didn't mention she was 22, then they went out to get his retirement gift, he also wanted a car, after 3 days of nobody hearing from them, they finally showed up in his new retirement gift to himself, a 2019 AM. I got hysterical cause I thought he got an AM Skyfall, but it wasn't, it was just their baseline model.   AM is not my uncles style in any way shape or form, it was very bizarre and I wish I could've taken a crack at the step aunt b4 he sent her packing, anyways during the lock-down sometime, Mike showed up to check on me, and talk about missing my dad, and when he went to leave it dawned on me, I said Mike, what the fuck? where the fuck is your little low IQ bimbo wife, he told me he had a couple bouts of buyers remorse, and he got rid of her, and traded the AM in for a 2020 Silverado, I only got to drive the AM for about 10 minutes, and I wasn't anywhere near a long stretch of empty road, but I have drove his new truck, and personally, if I was just trying to get pussy, of course id take the AM, but other then that, the Silverado is fucking amazing, and I'd take it in a second, the AM is really not that cool after the novelty wears off, I'll stick to my Jeep.    He finally told me what it boiled down to, as far as the cars go anyways, not the hot little big mouthed bimbo, so the Silverado is as much to repair as that AM would've been, possibly more expensive, AM parts aren't available at Autozone, when he called around he could only find 2 mechanics in the state that would even consider working on the AM, so anytime it needed to be serviced, he'd have had to go to Vegas to do it, FUCK THAT! vehicle maintenance is an absolute deal breaker and it boggles my brain when I see just how ignored it is in the process of people purchasing vehicles, and when you bring it up, people blow you off like your a fucking idiot, and like cars don't need maintenance, its so important, I'm sure you all know, but its just something that floors me.  
    • Damn... terrible news. Metal Church's recent output with Mike has been tremendous... R.I.P.      
    • Oh wow, sad and surprising news, only 55 years old too.  Blessing In Disguise and Hanging in the Balance are two of my all-time favorite metal albums.  RIP Mike
    • Oh damn, I have really enjoyed their recent stuff. Thoughts with his loved ones. Was he ill? How did he die?
    • How to make Turbo Lover even better than it already was...  
    • On the latest episode of the 80's Glam Metalcast episode, host Metal Mike talks to Heavens Edge guitarist Reggie Wu. He reveals what the band has been up to in recent years and revisits their classic self-titled debut from 1990. Wu also shares some memories and thoughts on Cinderella guitarist Jeff LaBar, who recently passed away. On what the band has been up to and a big future announcement  Wu: "For shows - we were supposed to do M3 this year, but one of the guys got sick and we had to cancel. We just committed to Monsters On The Mountain in Tennessee in October. I love the guys in this band, we are all like brothers. Whenever we get together, we just pick up right where we left off. We also have some big news that I can’t share right now. Hopefully we will be able announce it within the next couple weeks. Things are moving along. At this point we’re just having fun with it. Me and Mark are writing songs, and the pressure is just off. We aren’t trying to be rock stars anymore. There’s talks to do an album....and that could be the news that’s coming soon. We are just in talks and I really can’t get into it."  On the fall of the band when grunge came Wu: "It was nuts. The climb to get the record deal was spectacular. Right out of the box, we were selling out wherever we would play. Those three years before we got signed were unbelievable. Then the label dropped us and the ride down was brutal. Places that we used to play that were packed, were now a quarter full. It was a big time blow to the ego. When Heavens Edge split, me Dave and George still loved playing together. We started a band called American Pie with a new singer. We did the whole flannel shirt and grunge thing. It just wasn’t true and people could see it though it. It just didn’t work and we called it a day. We were forced to find another life, and in many ways that was a Godsend. I love my family and that’s what it’s all about." On the passing of Jeff LaBar  Wu: "Me and Jeff go way back. We both auditioned for Cinderella at the time when their label wanted them to replace their drummer and guitarist. Being the local guys we both went. In an interview, Jeff broke my balls because I sat right in front of him during his audition! He totally fit the bill so much better than I did. I was in my Yngwie Malmsteen phase. We played 'Nobody’s Fool' and I’m just shredding over it and it didn’t fit. Jeff was just a monster on stage, a monster guitar player, and just a great guy. I’m crushed over his death. All of us in Heavens Edge are devastated because they were the first Philly band in our genre that made it big. We all were rooting for them. It was awesome watching them skyrocket." 
    • This sucks....excellent singer....RIP   Sadly, Metal Church vocalist Mike Howe is no longer with us. The band has issued the following statement:  "It is with our deepest regrets that we must announce the passing of our brother, our friend and true legend of heavy metal music. Mike Howe passed away this morning at his home in Eureka, California. We are devastated and at a loss for words. Please respect our privacy and the Howe family’s privacy during this most difficult time." Mike Howe was the singer of Metal Church from 1998 - 1996, and again from 2015 - 2021.
    • Shit! You're right mate. My bad.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.