Thunder - Rip It Up

Stefan

14444956_10154573315198637_7009948571939

Great and a consistent band.

From blabbermouth.net:

THUNDER will release a brand new studio album, "Rip It Up", on February 10, 2017 through earMUSIC. The disc, the band's eleventh, features eleven brand new songs recorded in 2016, and is proof positive that this is a band that exists only to push itself and aim higher. Following on from the Top Ten success enjoyed by previous release "Wonder Days", "Rip It Up" — as the title suggests — sees Danny Bowes, Luke Morley, Ben Matthews, Chris Childs and "Harry" James stretching themselves musically, lyrically and creatively.

Frontman Danny said simply: "After the positive reaction to 'Wonder Days', we were very happy, and it justified the approach we took in the writing and recording. We decided to push it further on all fronts this time, to see what happened, and I think it shows in the writing and the individual performances. We couldn't have made this album 10 or even 5 years ago, we weren't good enough! We're really looking forward to playing the new tunes live alongside the more established ones." Fans don't have to wait long, the band will embark on a nationwide U.K. tour in March, with full details and ticket links on the band's web site.

This album comes nearly three decades into their career and, if 27 is normally famed and feared as the rock milestone at which many of the great and the good have had their creative flames extinguished, then THUNDER have arrived with a bulging bag of tunes, a notebook of great lyrics, a jerrycan of petrol, and a match. There are rockers, like the incendiary title track, ripsnorters like "She Likes The Cocaine", while songs like "Right From The Start" take the pace down, but turn the intensity up. While the album closes out with the stylish blues-tinged melancholia of "There's Always A Loser", it's clear that the band have continued with their winning ways. After a summer of great gigs including killer performances at Ramblin' Man and Steelhouse festival, the quintet know what works and how to pace a set of songs.

Title track "Rip It Up" is more than just a great and contemporary rock track, it's a statement of intent. THUNDER, as Danny sings, "Don't do subtle, don't rely on luck," there's quality in depth and style to burn here. THUNDER have never sounded so intent or intense and, whilst this album cleaves to what made the band's fans fall in love with them originally, there's risk taking and ambition aplenty here. THUNDER have no interest in taking the easy way.

www.thunderonline.com

FB
15392856_10154805865748637_3387919058599

Rip It Up (The Album)
1. No One Gets Out Alive
2. Rip It Up]
3. She Likes Cocaine
4. Right From The Start
5. Shakedown
6. Heartbreak Hurricane
7. In Another Life
8. The Chosen One
9. The Enemy Inside
10. Tumbling Down
11. There's Always A Loser

iTunes Bonus Track: No One
Get's Out Alive (Live in Hamburg)[/background]
iTunes Bonus Video: Rip It Up (Live in Hamburg) - Deluxe Edition only

Broken Mirror EP (Thunderonline Exclusive - Big Bundle 1, Big Bundle 2, Super Deluxe Bundle, Ultimate Bundle, Deluxe 3 x CD, Standard Double Vinyl)
1. Fire In The Mountain
2. Blue Eyed Girl
3. Beyond The Stars
4. I Will Return

Live at the 100 Club (Big Bundle 1, Big Bundle 2, Super Deluxe Bundle, Ultimate Bundle, Deluxe 3 x CD, iTunes Deluxe)
1. Wonder Days (Live)
2. Black Water (Live)
3. River Of Pain (Live)
4. Chasing Shadows (Live)
5. Broken (Live)
6. The Devil Made Me Do It (Live)
7. Backstreet Symphony (Live)
8. I'll Be Waiting (Live)
9. Resurrection Day (Live)
10. The Thing I Want (Live)
11. Love Walked In (Live)
12. I Love You More Than Rock 'n' Roll (Live)
13. The Rocker (Live)
14. Dirty Love (Live)

• 2 months later...

Mmmm this is pretty average imo. Not a lot stands out and its all very one paced.

1. No one gets out alive - 6

2. Rip it up - 5

3. She likes the Cocaine - 6

4. Right from the Start - 7.5

5. Shakedown - 5

6. Heartbreak Hurricane - 6.5

7. In another life - 5

8. The chosen one - 6

9. The enemy inside - 5

10. Tumbling down - 6

11. Theres always a loser - 6.5

Total : 59%

Best song : Right from the start....interesting ballad with a cool outro solo

Replay value : 20%

Only a couple of songs worth revisiting

Mmmm this is pretty average imo. Not a lot stands out and its all very one paced.

As opposed to all their other stuff which is not average, full of stand-outs and full of variety? ;)

As they say in arctic circles, one gets what one pays for.

As opposed to all their other stuff which is not average, full of stand-outs and full of variety? ;)

1. I didnt pay for it.....well technically i did. Kind of.

2. First 2 albums are v good

3. Im trying to give everything a chance this year.

1. I didnt pay for it.....well technically i did. Kind of.

2. First 2 albums are v good

3. Im trying to give everything a chance this year.

I thought you didn't have time for that? ;)

It's a great, solid album, with lots of highlights 'Right From The Start' and 'The Chosen One' for starters..TBH there are no tracks I don't like on here and really enjoyed it from start to finish, the extra 4 tracks on the EP included. There's a track on the EP called 'Fire On The Mountain', which is another excellent song well worth checking out. It's definitely more consistent than the previous 'Wonder Years' and a highly recommended album (I you like Thunder)

• 3 weeks later...

Its a good album, but not a patch on Wonderdays.

They recaptured some of their glory days on the previous album, but this one just feels like they have slipped back into the same groove as albums prior to that.

• 7 months later...