Tokyo Motor Fist - Ted Poley & Steve Brown

tts42572

Absolutely fantastic!

Started out with no expectations as I honestly haven't been big on Ted Poley's solo work. I've liked a couple songs here and there but mostly it just hasn't done much for me.

This TMF album though is about as instant as it gets for me....Love it on the first run through. There's plenty of Def Leppard moments in these songs. Steve Brown has to be the guy bringing those riffs and melodies to this project IMO. I do think Ted sounds pretty darn good too though.

Really like You're My Revolution and Put Me to Shame....Heck, really like the whole thing and even the slower songs fit well where they're at and are nice diversions.

2017 is looking like a great year so will be interesting to see how long this album can hold it's #1 spot for me :)

I believe Brown had all the songs written and demo'd before bringing in the other 3 members. I've liked every project Steve Brown has been involved in. Multi talented individual. I think Sleazeroxx had an interview with him recently where he hints at the possibility of joining D2 on a semi permanent basis. He is exactly what that band needs. An ear for catchy riffs and melody and a foot firmly planted in the genre and time period we all love to this day.

Agree Steve is really talented. I really wish Def Leppard would consider working with him to help write/record one of their albums in the future....It's obvious this guy can channel some inner Mutt Lange. I'm sure it won't happen though as the Leppard guys are too stuck in their ways now to probably work with an outsider.

Good stuff!

He helped leppard out a bit during Vivian's absence for health reasons,so he does know em and Ive seen him perform with Phil Collen as his 2nd guitar doing leppard tunes,but yeah it def(no pun intended) sounds like in his 2 minutes in leppard he made a better sounding leppardesque album than leppard themselves have made for many years

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, haven't heard a song I'd want to skip yet, and I'm up to track 9

I think Steve had unTedded Ted's voice. He's lost a lot of his particular twang.

It's a safe production, which you'd expect given the band members involved.
What I found is that moving the Bass/Treble to neutral enhanced my listening experience - even leaning towards the treble at times, which is rare.
Normally I am sett more on the bass side, but it made it a bit 'murky' for me

Full listened this. A-W-E-S-O-M-E!

Very serious contender to album of the year (Eclipse, you better do your homework!).

And HEAT, Harem , WoA...all got their work cut out now ;)

• My Little Pony

Anybody have a line on what the bonus track is gonna be? Did I miss that?

Its an acoustic version i think

Oh. Not necessary, then. I think I'mma grab this from Amazon today!

• 2023 Gold Donors

What can i say that hasn't already been said.

Perfection.

Ted's voice seems to be getting better as he gets older. To me he sounded slightly meatier? Incredible!

If this is any indication of the sort of quality we can expect from other artists this year, then wow, we're in for a good one.

I kinda hope this doesn't end up as album of the year. Just imagine what the albums will be like that better it (if that's possible).

Now i'm gonna turn my attention to Lionville.

Well isn't this great. Ted definitely sounds the best he has in many, many years. And I commend Steve Brown for that because I feel like he's written the perfect album for his voice. This one sounds like it was recorded around the time of the D2 debut... just love it. One of the coolest sounding albums I've heard in a while.

As many have noted, Steve Brown is a great artist, and I am a bit confused as to why he has saved all these songs for this project, when it is clearly better than the last two Trixter albums. I like both those albums quite a lot, but I don't understand why he didn't include more songs like this on them, to make them even better. ;)

I hear a graduation between the last two Trixter albums and the TMF record.

For me New Audio Machine is more like traditional Trixter with batter production than the 80's

I can only really see Live For The Day and The Coolest Thing suiting Ted's voice.

Human Era is much close to TMF, and I think Ted could have easily substituted on the following songs (and probably others as well)

Every Second Counts

Beats Me Up

Good Times Now

All Night Long

Personally I like the way the Trixter are produced more that I do TMF

Tattoos And Misery and the old Skid Row song, Walk With A Stranger, are amazing tracks.

I still really like TMF, but it's just a different style with different band members with a different sound.

I wouldn't say Steve 'saved' songs for a project, just used the appropriate songs for the others involved.

OMG. Every once in a while you listen to an album and it gets you first time. This is for sure one of those. What a termendous first spin.

I think I'm going to enjoy this one. A lot.

I'm always wary of this.

Often it gets boring real quick when you like it instantly.

Still enjoying it though - I think we'll be ok :)

Not much to add to others comments....freakin' brilliant all around. The best top down, melodic rock release since D2 - Revolve.

It's actually not one of my faves. It sounds a lot more like a Stereo Fallout, 40ft Ringo or even a modern Trixter song, than this project. Which is not a bad thing - not at all. Love all those projects. But for me, it's the only song which kind of slightly slips outside the parameters of this particular project. Slightly.

But it's still a very cool tune.

It's actually not one of my faves. It sounds a lot more like a Stereo Fallout, 40ft Ringo or even a modern Trixter song, than this project. Which is not a bad thing - not at all. Love all those projects. But for me, it's the only song which kind of slightly slips outside the parameters of this particular project. Slightly.

But it's still a very cool tune.

The verse is pure D2, and chorus is pure excellence. But to each their own.

and as I said the guitar hook after the chorus will be one of my favourite song moments of 2017. Love it.

Probably my least favorite on the album, not saying it's bad just MY least favorite.

You know it's a terrific release when....it's near impossible to pick out the best track and It's also impossible to spot any filler.