Steel Panther - Lower the Bar

All Nights Reserved

I dunno.

Steel Panther are basically Kiss now.

Do what makes the money, risk free, and stick to the T&A songs

Nothing wrong with that, it's their living, and probably the best way to earn some real $

But I kinda tired of it.

Would love to hear some more serious songs. although maybe they'd suck.

This new song is OK, but fairly standard and routine.

I'm sure if I listen to it a lot it won't get any better.

Yes! Just imagine their current songs with boring lyrics, they would be SO bad!
Edited for truth ;)

Haha, I wouldn't say bad. But they would definitely not be anywhere near as good as they are now.

So, "Suck, Fuck, Cock, Pussy, Ass, etc is more to your liking? Music is great Lyrics are LAME!

What i mean is they would just be like any other melodic rock act.

And personally i find a lot of 'normal' lyrics tired and boring - if i hear one more song about sleeping alone or owning the night i think ill snap the disc.

I get it, but 3 and now 4 albums of those topics is now boring.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I kinda see it differently.

I thought the smutty lyrics were a lot of fun and a fresh angle with some great music.

Then (to me) the songs started to feel a bit forced.

They are pretty much restricting the song content a fair bit.

I don't think they should stop with the pussy songs, but an album for "any other melodic rock act" music would be pretty cool.

Mainly because I think the music is pretty damn good, and supported with some strong lyrics could be really great.

I hate that the arguments still come up and the point never seems to get through to haters, but how is singing songs about sexy things forced, yet another band can record 20 albums about love and heartache and "rock" but that is not forced or tiring?

I don't think anything they've done sounds forced to me, and they always have cool, new and fresh ideas. Yeah, it's all sexual, but I re-iterate, how is that any different to a band with non-sexual lyrics? Most bands have a loose theme across an album and some can be a hell of a lot more tiring than 10 songs of a sexual nature. Eg. 10 songs about sucking God's penis, or 10 dreary songs about the heartache of being left by a lover. These are two types of albums featured regularly on this site yet the artists have never have comments similar to the Steel Panther stuff levelled at them.

Just be grateful they're doing something outside the norm, whilst still creating absolutely killer tracks. I cannot see why it is so hard to just to appreciate their awesomeness, and let the run-of-the-mill bands satisfy that part of your tastes without needing these guys to change in order to sound like everyone else.

Well given that you quoted me, I'll assume that you are lumping me in as a 'hater'

Far from it, and if you bothered to read my posts while taking off your holier than thou hat, you would have seen that.

You made some rash generalisations about my post, none of which are accurate.

I like Steel Panther. This is the opposite of hating them.

Personally, I find some of their recent stuff forced, and possibly running out of fresh sexual ideas.

This happens to many other bands.

7800 Faenheight

Generation Swine

Psycho Circus

Chinese Democracy

etc, are some of the ones I'd choose, but others would choose different records which I wouldn't agree with such as

Prisoners In Paradise

Warrant 96 (hello?)

Pissed and r*tist

Native Tongue

etc

All I was saying that I think Steel Panther are talented musicians. They write great music and good lyrics.

It would be nice to hear something from their heart rather than pussy and fucking

On the other hand, I understand that they need to make money and earn a living, which is probably why they won't do it.

So one thing that I hate is when people come in and grab a comment and twist and warp it into something it isn't just because they don't agree with what was said.

It's a message board, where people come to say what they think, not what you want to hear...

Agree.

I thought the smutty lyrics were a lot of fun and a fresh angle with some great music.

I don't think they should stop with the pussy songs, but an album for "any other melodic rock act" music would be pretty cool.

Mainly because I think the music is pretty damn good, and supported with some strong lyrics could be really great.

I hate that the arguments still come up and the point never seems to get through to haters, but how is singing songs about sexy things forced, yet another band can record 20 albums about love and heartache and "rock" but that is not forced or tiring?

I don't think anything they've done sounds forced to me, and they always have cool, new and fresh ideas. Yeah, it's all sexual, but I re-iterate, how is that any different to a band with non-sexual lyrics? Most bands have a loose theme across an album and some can be a hell of a lot more tiring than 10 songs of a sexual nature. Eg. 10 songs about sucking God's penis, or 10 dreary songs about the heartache of being left by a lover. These are two types of albums featured regularly on this site yet the artists have never have comments similar to the Steel Panther stuff levelled at them.

Just be grateful they're doing something outside the norm, whilst still creating absolutely killer tracks. I cannot see why it is so hard to just to appreciate their awesomeness, and let the run-of-the-mill bands satisfy that part of your tastes without needing these guys to change in order to sound like everyone else.

Well given that you quoted me, I'll assume that you are lumping me in as a 'hater'

Far from it, and if you bothered to read my posts while taking off your holier than thou hat, you would have seen that.

Personally, I find some of their recent stuff forced, and possibly running out of fresh sexual ideas.

7800 Faenheight

Generation Swine

Psycho Circus

Chinese Democracy

etc, are some of the ones I'd choose, but others would choose different records which I wouldn't agree with such as

Prisoners In Paradise

Warrant 96 (hello?)

Pissed and r*tist

Native Tongue

etc

All I was saying that I think Steel Panther are talented musicians. They write great music and good lyrics.

It would be nice to hear something from their heart rather than pussy and fucking

On the other hand, I understand that they need to make money and earn a living, which is probably why they won't do it.

So one thing that I hate is when people come in and grab a comment and twist and warp it into something it isn't just because they don't agree with what was said.

It's a message board, where people come to say what they think, not what you want to hear...

You mean like that post? ;) Read a bit more into it next time, will you. I quoted you, I guess (didn't really think about it as much as you) because you were the last comment suggesting that change would benefit them, when Glen had posted something in-between.

The post wasn't directed entirely at you at all, but as a general comment towards critics of the band... but because you were such a tool about it, then sure, take it as it being directed entirely to you.

Sensitive souls. They must be handled with care.

I dunno.

Steel Panther are basically Kiss now.

Do what makes the money, risk free, and stick to the T&A songs

Nothing wrong with that, it's their living, and probably the best way to earn some real $

But I kinda tired of it.

Would love to hear some more serious songs. although maybe they'd suck.

This new song is OK, but fairly standard and routine.

I'm sure if I listen to it a lot it won't get any better.

Yes! Just imagine their current songs with boring lyrics, they would be SO bad!
Edited for truth ;)

Haha, I wouldn't say bad. But they would definitely not be anywhere near as good as they are now.

So, "Suck, Fuck, Cock, Pussy, Ass, etc is more to your liking? Music is great Lyrics are LAME!
What i mean is they would just be like any other melodic rock act.

And personally i find a lot of 'normal' lyrics tired and boring - if i hear one more song about sleeping alone or owning the night i think ill snap the disc.

I get it, but 3 and now 4 albums of those topics is now boring.

Last album contained some of their best songs imo.

I was always the first one to state as soon as their albums got stale i wouldnt listen anymore

Not happened yet.

The new song is great with a killer riff. And lets face it the lyrics arent that smutty.

7800 Faenheight

Generation Swine

Psycho Circus

Chinese Democracy

Prisoners In Paradise

Warrant 96 (hello?)

Pissed and r*tist

Native Tongue

etc

You mean like that post? ;) Read a bit more into it next time, will you. I quoted you, I guess (didn't really think about it as much as you) because you were the last comment suggesting that change would benefit them, when Glen had posted something in-between.

The post wasn't directed entirely at you at all, but as a general comment towards critics of the band... but because you were such a tool about it, then sure, take it as it being directed entirely to you.

Really?

I mean it's not like mine was the last post made of a chain of posts.

It was a stand alone post that you addressed.

But if you say that in quoting me your implication was to all who had 'hated on' Steel Panther, then so be it I guess.

But then again, you said that it could be seen as directed as me because I was being a tool.

Dangerous Toys told me all about sticks and stones and hurting words etc, so I won't hold it against you, let's just put it down to misunderstanding and move on.

Can we still be friends?

A very divisive band indeed.Two factions were going back and forth on melodicrock.com about SP just recently. I'm super fine with those who hate the band and those that love the band. I happen to think they are hilarious! Of course, every comedian has their patchy moments and SP are no exception.

I just find those clamouring for the band to change their lyrics and put out a more mainstream album to be misguided in their wishes. They are a comedy act which is why their albums dot the comedy album charts and not the musical charts. Their ridiculously over the top lyrics are the basis for their comedy so it doesn't make a lick of sense for them to eliminate that part of their routine.

Fanthers: Not long now for the new album!

Haters: stick to what you know and like and avoid the Lower the Bar PR train.

You do know there's an in-between though right?

Even in my 'hater' comment I wrote "I thought the smutty lyrics were a lot of fun and a fresh angle with some great music."

and "I don't think they should stop with the pussy songs, but an album for "any other melodic rock act" music would be pretty cool."

I'll still like some of their music, and I'll still see them live again when they tour here.

Not clamoring for a mainstream record, just think it could be really awesome.

They should only ever do that of course if they feel right doing it, which they maybe never will.

I hope there's some great stuff on Lower The Bar

Thought She's Tight was a reasonable cover, but nothing too fresh on the original

And Anything Goes is just a bunch of words thrown together to create a pretty average song to me.

Will see what the rest is like :)

7800 Faenheight

Generation Swine

Psycho Circus

Chinese Democracy

Prisoners In Paradise

Warrant 96 (hello?)

Pissed and r*tist

Native Tongue

etc

Really?

I mean it's not like mine was the last post made of a chain of posts.

It was a stand alone post that you addressed.

But if you say that in quoting me your implication was to all who had 'hated on' Steel Panther, then so be it I guess.

But then again, you said that it could be seen as directed as me because I was being a tool.

Dangerous Toys told me all about sticks and stones and hurting words etc, so I won't hold it against you, let's just put it down to misunderstanding and move on.

Can we still be friends?

I will friend you on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Tinder later tonight.

OK, but I'm not on Twitter or Instagram. ;)

I'm not on any of them... well, I think I'm still on Facebook... but I'll create accounts just for this purpose. ;)

In fact, I just winked you on Tinder.

You do know there's an in-between though right?

Even in my 'hater' comment I wrote "I thought the smutty lyrics were a lot of fun and a fresh angle with some great music."

and "I don't think they should stop with the pussy songs, but an album for "any other melodic rock act" music would be pretty cool."

I'll still like some of their music, and I'll still see them live again when they tour here.

Not clamoring for a mainstream record, just think it could be really awesome.

They should only ever do that of course if they feel right doing it, which they maybe never will.

I hope there's some great stuff on Lower The Bar

Thought She's Tight was a reasonable cover, but nothing too fresh on the original

And Anything Goes is just a bunch of words thrown together to create a pretty average song to me.

Will see what the rest is like :)

Sure there is an in-between but as I mentioned in an SP thread either here or on MR, they are celebrating the absurdity of that whole sunset strip hair metal scene by taking it to the nth degree. In-betweeners would include songs like Death to All But Metal, The Burden of Being Wonderful and Party Like Its the End of the World; anything less risque and you wouldn't be able to differentiate between them and Poison, D2, Kiss or the thousands of other double entendre heavy 80s hair bands.

And suddenly you have just another band. Still cool to the few of us into this scene, but a veritable death wish for Steel Panther Enterprises who exist touring as a comedy routine recreating the glory years of 80s hair!

Cure, I didn't mean to imply that you were a hater. I was merely stating haters are free to hate and SP fans can continue to sing their praises.

I think they are funny as hell and catchy as hell. Can't wait for the new one.

No I meant inbetweeners as opposed to either loving or hating the band.
I love some of their stuff. Fat Girl, Girl From Oklahoma, Stripper Girl, Asian Hooker and others are killer songs.

You didn't label me a hater, and I'm happy to be a hater if the hat fits.

I hate the new HCSS, I could be called a Metallica hater because I don't really like them aside from a few of the radio friendly songs.

No biggie, I hope the new SP has some great tracks on it as well.
when sales drop off (and they will at some point for SP) bands switch it up a bit.

Bon Jovi started targeting 40+ females, Kiss took their makeup off, bands break up, or change singers.

I hope that before anything like that happens they try to do a Fozzy and have a go at a more traditional lyric - I think it would be interesting to hear.

And it may not work, the one thing people recognize them as being will be gone and maybe they'll be seen as just another wannabe 80's band...

There are quite a few songs now which are straight enough.

Stuff like Eyes of a panther, hells on Fire, the burden of being me etc etc.

All pretty tame stuff really.

PS the new HCSS is really poor - i hope they get back on track as the last few albums had been killer

• 1 month later...

No I'm not addicted to porn....much.

I saw this link up on MR.com

new video premiered on Porn hub...yes a porn site :tits:

Just a warning don't watch this one with your kids or wife...the video is surrounded by porn....Geoff put your tongue back in your mouth.

http://www.pornhub.com/view_video.php?viewkey=ph587ea6a96e595

Poontang Boomerang reminds me of Cherry Pie....just much, much raunchier. But like a few tracks on the previous release, a track that doesn't really need to be censored all that much.

BTW, Lexxi finally comes out of the closet.

Haha, love the intro where he's talking to the kitten. Anyway, I like the tune. It's not absolutely amazing, but if you can point me in the direction of a single current band just doing that "commercial" 80's hard rock sound as good as that, I'll admit I'm wrong. I'm just talking that US radio-friendly hard rock that was so good about the 80's / early 90's. No band does it at all anymore, and these guys have that sound perfected.

My memory is too shit to remember the new songs, but I like this and the song from the acoustic/live album. I think there was a cover song which wasn't amazing (because it wasn't one of their originals, obviously). But jeez dudes, let's not sound the death bells yet... I think this one's still well on track.

The delivery of Poontang Boomerang in the chorus is the only thing that reminds me of Cherry Pie. Fun stuff! Can't wait for this release. Geoff says it all in the post directly above mine. I can only dream of 80s hard rock this catchy with high production values being released today. No one conjures up the hair metal glory days like Steel Panther.

The delivery of Poontang Boomerang in the chorus is the only thing that reminds me of Cherry Pie. Fun stuff! Can't wait for this release. Geoff says it all in the post directly above mine. I can only dream of 80s hard rock this catchy with high production values being released today. No one conjures up the hair metal glory days like Steel Panther.

what he said :) it really does sound the part