Pretty Maids - Kingmaker

Stefan

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody seeing any reviews of this album anywhere yet?

I'm on the fence about pre-ordering this. I've liked the first 2 songs but curious how the rest sounds. I basically prefer the more melodic side of PM. I picked up Motherland recently and really like about half of it......But by the same token, I really don't care for the other half. I did like Motherland a lot better than Pandemonium though as there were only a few songs on that album I liked.

So just curious what the approach is this time around. I'm kinda hoping the new album almost ends up being some combination of Motherland and Nordic Union. Basically, a tiny bit more melodic "Motherland" album would be awesome IMO.

I think I saw they're releasing another song this week so maybe that'll give a better idea.

Love both tracks!!!

This new disc looks to be nowhere near the quality of Pandemonium or Motherland.

Kind of disappointed.

??

I don't know why you say that. If you have listened more tracks than us or have read any insider review saying it's weak, ok, then I shut up, but if you only have listened the 3 tracks pre-released as the rest of us I think they are pretty good, so I disagree (for now).

In my case Motherland disappointed me a bit (having some good tracks), Pandemonium was the top.

Love both tracks!!!

This new disc looks to be nowhere near the quality of Pandemonium or Motherland.

Kind of disappointed.

??

I don't know why you say that. If you have listened more tracks than us or have read any insider review saying it's weak, ok, then I shut up, but if you only have listened the 3 tracks pre-released as the rest of us I think they are pretty good, so I disagree (for now).

In my case Motherland disappointed me a bit (having some good tracks), Pandemonium was the top.

I've seen one person over at MR.com posting that they have an advance copy of the album for review and that the album is indeed much more melodic than the previous couple releases. He stated that his favorite PM albums are Spooked and Future World and while he wouldn't put it above those, does like the new album a lot. He said there are a few heavier songs but they still have melodic choruses.

I like the first 3 songs and the melodic direction so no complaints from me.

• My Little Pony

Kind of disappointed.

Odd statement, considering you previously said you love the two tracks above.

Kind of disappointed.

Odd statement, considering you previously said you love the two tracks above.

I mean all three tracks are good. Just not great. They had GREAT songs on the last 2 discs.

I haven't heard any more than the three so I'll reserve judgement.

• 2 weeks later...

I've always struggled with Pretty Maids.
Never really my cup of tea, but some songs such as Please Don't Leave Me are great.

Not sure why I opened this thread, but from what is posted here...

1st song - sounds really good

2nd song - meh

3rd - this song kind of sums up where I'm at with Pretty Maids. The song isn't terrible, just kind of boring.

I think when bands get over 40 or so, they should be making clips without the band members in them. They detract from the song, where say a half naked girl on a pole would probably add to it :)

I've always struggled with Pretty Maids.

Never really my cup of tea, but some songs such as Please Don't Leave Me are great.

Not sure why I opened this thread, but from what is posted here...

1st song - sounds really good

2nd song - meh

3rd - this song kind of sums up where I'm at with Pretty Maids. The song isn't terrible, just kind of boring.

I think when bands get over 40 or so, they should be making clips without the band members in them. They detract from the song, where say a half naked girl on a pole would probably add to it :)

Haha, definitely agree with the last statement. Dudes just need to know when to hide themselves in music videos. A few performance clips from a distance - with a focus on the instruments - between shots of half naked girls is the only way to do it.

Anyway, I won't bother listening to the rest of the clips as I'm sold and just want to hear the full album asap. :)

Listened.

Scores:

01. When God Took A Day Off - 9

02. Kingmaker - 10

03. Face The World - 10

04. Humanize Me - 9.5

05. Last Beauty On Earth - 7.5

06. Bull's Eye - 7.5

07. King Of The Right Here And Now - 8

08. Heavens Little Devil - 9

09. Civilized Monsters - 7

10. Sickening - 5 (meh!)

11. Was That What You Wanted - 8

Total: 82.2%

Definitively below Pandemonium, and more or less a draw with Motherland.

A bit of deception as I hoped more, but is solid.

So, if you didn't like the released samples you won't find any great surprises I'm afraid.

Listened.

Scores:

01. When God Took A Day Off - 9

02. Kingmaker - 10

03. Face The World - 10

04. Humanize Me - 9.5

05. Last Beauty On Earth - 7.5

06. Bull's Eye - 7.5

07. King Of The Right Here And Now - 8

08. Heavens Little Devil - 9

09. Civilized Monsters - 7

10. Sickening - 5 (meh!)

11. Was That What You Wanted - 8

Total: 82.2%

Definitively below Pandemonium, and more or less a draw with Motherland.

A bit of deception as I hoped more, but is solid.

So, if you didn't like the released samples you won't find any great surprises I'm afraid.

That sounds a bit disappointing since the 3 songs already released were so so and u rate those the highest.

3 great albums in a row would have been a push tho.

Yep, but it's a good album nevertheless. Anything above 80% is good and deserves to be listened. It's just that the hype made me hope they were going really to beat Pandemonium.

Just to compare, my score for the last Bon Jovi crap wouldn't go beyond 50%, and that's coming from me, who I consider 'I'd die for u' the best song ever (for me). So >80% -> solid.

Thanks for your thoughts....looking forward to this album.

For me though, I liked Motherland quite a bit more than Pandemonium...thought it was just a bit more melodic and haf more variety.... it just fit my tastes better.

So something that sorta continues the Motherland approach will be fine with me.

Yep, but it's a good album nevertheless. Anything above 80% is good and deserves to be listened. It's just that the hype made me hope they were going really to beat Pandemonium.

Just to compare, my score for the last Bon Jovi crap wouldn't go beyond 50%, and that's coming from me, who I consider 'I'd die for u' the best song ever (for me). So >80% -> solid.

I think this one is a bit underwhelming, perhaps a little less than 80%, but most of PRETTY MAIDS album for me are bouncing between 75-85%, and Ron's collaboration with Erik in NORDIC UNION is definitely a better release

Got this today...pretty solid IMO.

I love pretty much everything up through Heavens Little Devil and then the disk starts a little downhill for me with the last few tracks....I guess for me the last 3 songs almost blend together as they're all sorta social commentary, heavy songs. I think I would've liked to see something else in the "Sickening" spot...a more melodic song like a Face The World, Bullseye, etc.

Need more listens to fully digest it but liking it a lot. At this point I think Sickening was the only track I really had the urge to skip past.

I love pretty much everything up through Heavens Little Devil and then the disk starts a little downhill for me with the last few tracks....I guess for me the last 3 songs almost blend together as they're all sorta social commentary, heavy songs. I think I would've liked to see something else in the "Sickening" spot...a more melodic song like a Face The World, Bullseye, etc.

Need more listens to fully digest it but liking it a lot. At this point I think Sickening was the only track I really had the urge to skip past.

Get out of my head! :D

The other day I was thinking exactly the same: if they only had put some great melodic hit instead of 'Sickening' this album could have been quite strong actually.

Anyway it's good, I agree, has grown a bit more on me.

The other day I was thinking exactly the same: if they only had put some great melodic hit instead of 'Sickening' this album could have been quite strong actually.

They really need to have 2 or more commercial style songs on an album. I really do like them and will continue to, but that is how I feel about them and all of their albums. Just my opinion.

They really need to have 2 or more commercial style songs on an album. I really do like them and will continue to, but that is how I feel about them and all of their albums. Just my opinion.

I agree. I think one or two more commercial type songs would've elevated this album from pretty good to awesome for me.

I agree with the other poster above too that said it doesn't match the Nordic Union album....I just love how consistently melodic that Nordic Union release is throughout and it's why it's probably my #1 album this year.

I do like this release and it is pretty melodic....I just don't like the run of similar themed songs at the end.