Tango Down: Bulletproof!

The Rocker

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Just got this CD in the mail today...Only about half way through it so can't really say too much yet....But initial impression is good.

Chas sounds great on vocals and what I've listened to so far is more melodic than what I thought their last album was and the album has a feel more like the Identity Crisis album to me (which is a good thing as Charming Devil didn't too resonate all that well with me after loving IC). I dig the first song (Punching Bag) that was released and so far my favorite song is the second song on the disc called Give Me A Reason.

Will report back after I've had a chance to check it all out and let it sink in but off to a good start.

Just got this CD in the mail today...Only about half way through it so can't really say too much yet....But initial impression is good.

Chas sounds great on vocals and what I've listened to so far is more melodic than what I thought their last album was and the album has a feel more like the Identity Crisis album to me (which is a good thing as Charming Devil didn't too resonate all that well with me after loving IC). I dig the first song (Punching Bag) that was released and so far my favorite song is the second song on the disc called Give Me A Reason.

Will report back after I've had a chance to check it all out and let it sink in but off to a good start.

awesome!!!!! Thanks so much for the kind and honest mini review. Look fwd to your thoughts once youve digested it more.

JK

awesome!!!!! Thanks so much for the kind and honest mini review. Look fwd to your thoughts once youve digested it more.

JK

Have been through it a couple times now and have to say I'm liking it quite a bit. I love that there is more variety in the song structures this time around as it keeps the album more interesting IMO.

The songs that are standing out for me are Punching Bag, Give Me A Reason, Edge Of Goodbye and my favorite song is probably When We Were Young. I really like the harmonies and vibe of that song and that should be a single of some sort IMO.

Bullet proof, Carry On and Going Under all sound pretty good too and bring some "rock" to the album. And I like the sound of Anything Can Change as well.

About the only song I'm really not feeling is Superstar...Not sure why.....Just not doing much for me and kinda plods along. Also not sure on the last song Broken Heart yet...I kinda only half listened to it because I wanted to skip back to some other songs :)

I'm not sure if it's my favorite Tango Down album as I really loved Identity Crisis....Songs like Alone, Blame, Corners Of My Mind, Enlighten Me and Back to Life were all just awesome. However, there were 3 songs on IC I didn't care for (Dream Child, Calling Out, Magic Pudding) so Bullet Proof for me may just be more solid from top to bottom.

Overall, I really like the more melodic side of Tango Down and this album delivers on that end with good use of backing vocals, great guitar work and variety in song structures.

Thumbs up :)

JK

Have been through it a couple times now and have to say I'm liking it quite a bit. I love that there is more variety in the song structures this time around as it keeps the album more interesting IMO.

The songs that are standing out for me are Punching Bag, Give Me A Reason, Edge Of Goodbye and my favorite song is probably When We Were Young. I really like the harmonies and vibe of that song and that should be a single of some sort IMO.

Bullet proof, Carry On and Going Under all sound pretty good too and bring some "rock" to the album. And I like the sound of Anything Can Change as well.

About the only song I'm really not feeling is Superstar...Not sure why.....Just not doing much for me and kinda plods along. Also not sure on the last song Broken Heart yet...I kinda only half listened to it because I wanted to skip back to some other songs :)

I'm not sure if it's my favorite Tango Down album as I really loved Identity Crisis....Songs like Alone, Blame, Corners Of My Mind, Enlighten Me and Back to Life were all just awesome. However, there were 3 songs on IC I didn't care for (Dream Child, Calling Out, Magic Pudding) so Bullet Proof for me may just be more solid from top to bottom.

Overall, I really like the more melodic side of Tango Down and this album delivers on that end with good use of backing vocals, great guitar work and variety in song structures.

Thumbs up :)

THANKS FOR THE FEEDBACK!! Great review!! Of course no wrong answers. We wanted people to be able to have their own take away from this album. So you may not like superstar (which IS fine) but to some others its their fave. That is what we want. Where there are so many differant take aways/faves. KEEP spinning and enjoying it!!!

THANKS

JK

However, there were 3 songs on IC I didn't care for (Dream Child, Calling Out, Magic Pudding) so Bullet Proof for me may just be more solid from top to bottom.

Awww man,whats not to like about Magic Pudding :) finishes IC off nicely for me ;)

I hope Chas sticks around. My only gripe about Tango Down is having 4 singers in 5 albums.

Valid request. But lets review. TANGO DOWN has been around 11 years. So i would cut them a little slack on the singer changing. Also there were valid reasons that lead to each parting of ways. Would people rather have the band fold shop and we all lose out on some great music? David did two albums with the band. Thats as many as some established bands.

With the exception of the first album with Phil. Each singer lasted quite a length of time in the band. Again as long as some established bands during their hey day. So i wouldnt call it the revolving door as it may seem .

With that said, of course we hope Chas stays on as long as possible. If for some odd reason that is unknown to us he does move on. We will have made the best album of the bands career, and will look forward to the next chapter.

Lastly, all i care about and the band cares about....IS that you enjoy this album as much as we all do. Hope that clears up any assumptions or questions.

Maybe one day ill write a book no one will buy. LOL

LOL John.

I wasn't trying to rain on your parade. I love the band and can't wait to hear Bulletproof.

all good! Dindt take it that way, but being you presented the question and others may read it, i felt i would shed some light on that question . No ruffled feathers . Did you order it direct from me or another outlet? Inbox me if direct from me, ill check on its status.

Here ya go!

Tango Down - Bulletproof

1. Punching Bag - 8.75/10 - excellent opener; great hard rocker
2. Give Me A Reason - 8.5/10 - really good melodic track
3. Bulletproof - 8.5/10 - cool groovy 80's sounding rocker
4. Carry On - 8.75/10 - another cool mid-tempo track; great vocals
5. When We Were Young - 8.25/10 - very melodic track
6. Going Under - 9/10 - love this track; moody rocker (whitesnake-ish)
7. Superstar - 8.25/10 - solid hard rocker
8. Edge Of Goodbye - 9/10 - excellent ballad
9. Anything Can Change - 8.75/10 - another melodic hard rocker; very solid
10. Broken Heart - 9.25/10 - love the vibe on this one; great rocker

Current Score: 87%

Just found this album (and band) at Sleaze Roxx

Always great to discover a new band like this.

I suspect this is probably the first album this year that will get a constant play , not wanting to hear anything else for a while - high praise.

Some songs get about as close to AOR as I like to get, Heavy keyboards would have killed it for me, but some really really good stuff here. :)

I'd never heard this band before, so I'm coming in fresh as far as the vocals and sound goes.

I'll have to check out the older staff :)

Hey CureTheSane

Thanks for the honest and optimistic feedback. ALWAYS good to meet a person that is virgin to the band and their music. Inbox me....since you dont have the back catalog. Ill offer you a flat rate/discount. Im WANT you to have these releases and im willing to make it enticing enough that theres minimal risk to you as a buyer.

Thanks

John Kivel