favourite song of 2016 (so far)

Glen

Give me a VCR and I'll direct and record the whole damn movie/s! Is that how it works?

Listen to the quality, though, mate. Listen.

As an aside, though, I love summer. As in, if I could kill winter I would, forever. I just hate it. I'd live in summer forever if I had the money. And for whatever reason, I just love shit that makes me think back to being a kid. Simpler times, I guess. I won't say better times, because I love my time with my kids more than any time I've known, but I love being taken back in time too.

And these tunes here all make me feel something, whatever that may be... and that's why they're in my list. ;)

And for the record, the Busted tune isn't retro... it's just fucking amazing.

Your superhero name would be Synthwave Kid ;)

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Give me a VCR and I'll direct and record the whole damn movie/s! Is that how it works?

As an aside, though, I love summer. As in, if I could kill winter I would, forever. I just hate it. I'd live in summer forever if I had the money. And for whatever reason, I just love shit that makes me think back to being a kid. Simpler times, I guess. I won't say better times, because I love my time with my kids more than any time I've known, but I love being taken back in time too.

And these tunes here all make me feel something, whatever that may be... and that's why they're in my list. ;)

Your superhero name would be Synthwave Kid ;)

What do you mean by "would be?"

Okay, we can blame Stefan for my 13 track top 10 songs of 2016. ;) I was going to exclude the Thief Club songs as they have been doing the rounds for three years now and only just ended up on an "album" in 2017. But, apparently I haven't pushed them enough over the last few years, so I will include them where they rightfully belong, but I won't use them at the expense of legit 2017 releases.
Anyway, here are my top 10 (13) songs of the year:
1. Busted - Without It
2. Magic Dance - Still Haunting Me
3. FM-84 - Running In The Night
4. Thief Club - Knew Your Name
5. The Summer Set - Change Your Mind
6. Thief Club - Weight With You
7. Thief Club - Follow You
8. LeBrock - Dangerous dreams
9. Wigelius - These Tears I Cry
10. Foret De Vin - Carol
11. Palace - Part of Me
12. White Widdow - Last Chance for Love
13. Newdrive - One Last Time

2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOGdU9AEz6o

12. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLWJfLLqBxY

13. N/A - sadly all that's available on youtube is this pretty shitty live clip which does not highlight how massive and beefy this song sounds on the record - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhGkJ3UoHLQ

Thief Club sounds excellent , I will check them out

• My Little Pony

I love summer. As in, if I could kill winter I would, forever. I just hate it. I'd live in summer forever if I had the money. And for whatever reason, I just love shit that makes me think back to being a kid. Simpler times, I guess. I won't say better times, because I love my time with my kids more than any time I've known, but I love being taken back in time too.

Yuuup!

Most of my favourite songs, I mean like 90+% of all my favourite tunes, meet this criteria. If you can write a song that brings on the warmth of Summer, and takes me back to simpler times, I'm gonna love your song.

I had a think last night about my fav songs of 2016 - very difficult and many Defiant, Vega, Seven songs would sit in the 11-30 range, but these were my 10 picks - in no order

Wigelius - Time Well Wasted

Defiants - Save Me Tonight

Reckless Love - Zoo

Dan Reed - Champion

Striker - Too Late

Ted Poley - You Won't See Me Cryin

First Signal - She's Getting Away

Nordic Union - Falling

Pretty Maids - Bulls Eye

Roth/Brock - I Don't now Why

I had a think last night about my fav songs of 2016 - very difficult and many Defiant, Vega, Seven songs would sit in the 11-30 range, but these were my 10 picks - in no order

This is cheating, according to Geoff! :D

first time I've heard it.................

You mean you don't have this:

TEDPOLEY_GT.JPG

TEDPOLEY_GT.JPG

No.

Really? Why? I don't understand.

Anyway some cool tunes but quite different to mine. I thought 'Falling' was one of the weaker songs on an album I didn't really get into anyway... but you don't seem to have been alone in your adoration for that song. It does nothing for me, personally. Same with 'Save me tonight' in context of that Defiants disc. A solid (very straight forward, I must say - very basic) ballad, but again I don't think it'd be in my top half of that disc. As for the Dan Reed tune, I just thought that album was a disaster, that song included.

But aside from that, the Poley song as well as Pretty Maids, First Signal and Wigelius tunes would all be in my top 20-30.

Anyway some cool tunes but quite different to mine. I thought 'Falling' was one of the weaker songs on an album I didn't really get into anyway... but you don't seem to have been alone in your adoration for that song. It does nothing for me, personally. Same with 'Save me tonight' in context of that Defiants disc. A solid (very straight forward, I must say - very basic) ballad, but again I don't think it'd be in my top half of that disc. As for the Dan Reed tune, I just thought that album was a disaster, that song included.

But aside from that, the Poley song as well as Pretty Maids, First Signal and Wigelius tunes would all be in my top 20-30.

Save me Tonight is all about the melody in the chorus. genius imo. and that closing solo is perfection.

Save me Tonight is all about the melody in the chorus. genius imo. and that closing solo is perfection.

Yeah mate, it's a nice song. Don't get me wrong. But jeez, you gotta admit it's pretty generic. Right down to the song name itself... But a nice song, nevertheless.

Yeah mate, it's a nice song. Don't get me wrong. But jeez, you gotta admit it's pretty generic. Right down to the song name itself... But a nice song, nevertheless.

I tell you what I really liked about that Defiants albums though, was all the little extras they threw into the songs - the bits where they slow down, Laine does some quirky vocal.........it wasn't just the normal verse chorus verse chorus like normal.

That's one of the things I really like about this ballad...........that part where it slows right down and stops dead. then comes back in - I love that bit, and then followed by the outro chorus and that solo....its just marvellous. Gives me goosebumps in the car when I listen at night. That's a sign of a great song imo.

• 2023 Gold Donors

I tell you what I really liked about that Defiants albums though, was all the little extras they threw into the songs - the bits where they slow down, Laine does some quirky vocal.........it wasn't just the normal verse chorus verse chorus like normal.

That's one of the things I really like about this ballad...........that part where it slows right down and stops dead. then comes back in - I love that bit, and then followed by the outro chorus and that solo....its just marvellous. Gives me goosebumps in the car when I listen at night. That's a sign of a great song imo.

Spot on mate. I completely agree.

TEDPOLEY_GT.JPG

No.

Wow, buddy! You can grab it here! It was just announced!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TED-POLEY-GREATEST-HITS-V1-GREATESTITS-2-CD-SET-SEALED-DANGER-DANGER-REISSUE-NEW-/132068703018

I agree about that Defiants album and it's why it was probably my top album of 2016...Lots of hooks and Laine shows a lot of different sides on that album....Just find it very easy and interesting to listen to.

As for my favorite songs of 2016, ones coming to my mind in no particular order:

Falling - Nordic Union

Hypocrisy - Nordic Union

Take Me Back - Defiants

When The Lights Go Down - Defiants

Face The World - Pretty Maids

Humanize Me - Pretty Maids

Bulls Eye - Pretty Maids

Inferno - Treat

Endangered - Treat

The One - Maverick

Forever - Maverick

Aim For The Head - Cruzh

Hard TO Get - Cruzh

Tearing Down The Sky - Tyketto

Part of Me - Palace

When We Were Young - Tango Down

TEDPOLEY_GT.JPG

No.

Wow, buddy! You can grab it here! It was just announced!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TED-POLEY-GREATEST-HITS-V1-GREATESTITS-2-CD-SET-SEALED-DANGER-DANGER-REISSUE-NEW-/132068703018

$30 for a best of album?!! Ha mate, you really are a jester. ;)

Favorite songs of 2016 in no particular order:

Bad Reputation - Adelitas Way

Tell Me - Adelitas Way

Ready for War - Adelitas Way

First Cruzh - Cruzh

Hypocrisy - Nordic Union

Every Heartbeat - Nordic Union

Falling - Nordic Union

Part of Me - Palace

Bull's Eye - Pretty Maids

What's It to Ya - Roth Brock Project

We Will Not Go Quietly - Sixx: A.M.

The Darkness of This Dawn - Sunstorm

When the Lights Go Down - The Defiants

Waiting on a Heartbreak - The Defiants

Lil' Miss Rock'n'Roll - The Defiants

Endangered - Treat

Inferno - Treat

Long Way from Home - Wigelius

Time Well Wasted - Wigelius

Lots of fantastic music out this year

Tell Me - Adelitas Way

First Cruzh - Cruzh

Hypocrisy - Nordic Union

Falling - Nordic Union

Part of Me - Palace

Endangered - Treat

Inferno - Treat

Nice list except for that awful lil miss rock n roll song off the defiants album :)

• My Little Pony

All these best of lists remind me of all the albums I haven't listened to this year.

My favourite tune that fits our style would be Treat's "Endangered."

Tell Me - Adelitas Way

First Cruzh - Cruzh

Hypocrisy - Nordic Union

Falling - Nordic Union

Part of Me - Palace

Endangered - Treat

Inferno - Treat

Nice list except for that awful lil miss rock n roll song off the defiants album :)

Haha I know it's not for everyone but it reminds me of my first gf who was a rocker chick and all the fun we had. Plus, it's a funky song and nothing on the album sounds like it

Sunstorm, in 2016? I've heard of missing albums, but how the f*ck did I miss that one? And did everyone else too? I haven't heard a word about that since that initial thread a lifetime ago. Must check it out asap.