Goo Goo Dolls - Boxes

Did you actually listen to the song I posted, or was that verdict just general principle based on the band name?

Straight ahead modern hard rock with pop elements. This album is more in the HH wheelhouse than anything they've previously done, in my opinion. In fact the new album has gotten absolutely SLAMMED by purist fans who are lamenting the fact that production is too lush and polished... which is actually a good thing.

It's melodic power pop.

Did you actually listen to the song I posted, or was that verdict just general principle based on the band name?

Straight ahead modern hard rock with pop elements. This album is more in the HH wheelhouse than anything they've previously done, in my opinion. In fact the new album has gotten absolutely SLAMMED by purist fans who are lamenting the fact that production is too lush and polished... which is actually a good thing.

It's melodic power pop.

It's actually not too bad a song. I just like their early material a lot more.

It's melodic power pop.

Could they actually play instruments earlier on? That was the type of garage punk rubbish I'd cross the road to urinate, vomit and spit on it. And if I could get an erection around it I'd throw some sperm on it too... just 'cause of how awful it is.

Anyway, long time fan of this band here and I've had this album lined up for 3 weeks now. Unfortunately, I've been training a dude for 3 weeks in a row on Tuesday nights, which is my 'New Release Night.' No excuses this week, though. Their last albums have been increasingly mellow... hoping for something a bit closer to 'Dizzy Up The Girl' this time around. Glad to see them still going. Good band. Well, at least Reznick's tracks are nearly always good.

It's melodic power pop.

Could they actually play instruments earlier on? That was the type of garage punk rubbish I'd cross the road to urinate, vomit and spit on it. And if I could get an erection around it I'd throw some sperm on it too... just 'cause of how awful it is.

Anyway, long time fan of this band here and I've had this album lined up for 3 weeks now. Unfortunately, I've been training a dude for 3 weeks in a row on Tuesday nights, which is my 'New Release Night.' No excuses this week, though. Their last albums have been increasingly mellow... hoping for something a bit closer to 'Dizzy Up The Girl' this time around. Glad to see them still going. Good band. Well, at least Reznick's tracks are nearly always good.

Yeah I've been a fan since DUTG as well. Prior to that I believe they were awful. Gutterflower (I think it was called) was good and in fact they have had plenty of great songs post DUTG. As for the new album I've only given it one spin so far. Admittedly I was a bit distracted with the kids but plan to revisit it this week. My first impression was (as Dan has said) a very polished sound, however style wise I'm not too sure...I felt this was a little too much in the direction of Coldplay or some other modern alt/indie band. But as I said I was really distracted and need to give this some decent spins before I comment further.

Sorry Dan and all who like the ball-less balladesque soundtrack soft AOR that has become a GGD staple. Bully for them for cashing in, but I prefer this:

Certainly more rockin' with a SO Cal Big Drill Car vibe...

Sorry Dan and all who like the ball-less balladesque soundtrack soft AOR that has become a GGD staple. Bully for them for cashing in, but I prefer this:

The ones you posted aren't bad by any means; infinitely preferable to their early crap... but I like the new album more. *shrug*

Oh, and yeah, I *DO* like a lot of "ball-less" music like Westcoast AOR, etc.... I listen to it back to back with Euro-power and symphonic death metal. Makes for a nice contrast in moods. No such thing as too light or too heavy.

So am I the only one who appreciates their early stuff? :anon:

Yes. On the planet. ;)

For the record, 'Superstar Carwash' and 'A Boy Named Goo' are both very good albums (before 'Dizzy Up The Girl'), but I believe you are referring to their truly terrible stuff before these two. 'Superstar Carwash' was the first time they played something identifiable as a song. :)

Anyway, not liking the comments suggesting the new one is super mellow. Though I'm interested to hear this polished production job, as they've always had a pretty basic (but good) trademark sound before.

It's melodic power pop.

Yeah I've been a fan since DUTG as well. Prior to that I believe they were awful. Gutterflower (I think it was called) was good and in fact they have had plenty of great songs post DUTG. As for the new album I've only given it one spin so far. Admittedly I was a bit distracted with the kids but plan to revisit it this week. My first impression was (as Dan has said) a very polished sound, however style wise I'm not too sure...I felt this was a little too much in the direction of Coldplay or some other modern alt/indie band. But as I said I was really distracted and need to give this some decent spins before I comment further.

Following on from this I would like to retract my comment comparing this to Coldplay and the like. Overall it's a nice enough album but just too basic / unexciting. There's no punch or intensity. Just a nice / well produced album. In one word...."pleasant". Not essential IMO.

Yeah, I heard it on Tuesday and I liked it, but I agree. The thing I always loved about this band was the few killer tunes on each album. Some really great tunes. This album is good all the way through, but it's just missing those killer tunes that, for me, made them in the past.

Yeah, I heard it on Tuesday and I liked it, but I agree. The thing I always loved about this band was the few killer tunes on each album. Some really great tunes. This album is good all the way through, but it's just missing those killer tunes that, for me, made them in the past.

+1 no killers on this. But no terrible tracks either.