Prince dead at 57

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/22/arts/music/prince-dead.html?_r=0

Prince, Multifaceted Pop Star Who Remade Genres, Is Dead at 57
By JOE COSCARELLI

APRIL 21, 2016

Prince, the singularly flamboyant and prolific songwriter and performer whose decades of music transcended and remade genres like funk, rock and R&B, died on Thursday at his Paisley Park studio and estate in Minnesota, according to The Associated Press. He was 57.

Across a career of more than 35 years, Prince released 39 albums while being lauded not only for his songs, but their visual presentation both onstage and on camera. His 1984 film “Purple Rain” is widely considered one of the best and most influential music films ever, while its accompanying soundtrack spawned the No. 1 hits “Let’s Go Crazy” and “When Doves Cry.” He was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2004.

Full obituary to follow.

Well, that's a bummer. I was never much more than a casual fan but I always respected his "Take no shit from the music business" stance.

I guess VH1 Classic will be showing "Purple Rain" on a continuous loop for the foreseeable future.

I heard somewhere today he had released 39 studio albums?! Is that true? Anyway, I was never a fan but may he rest in peace.

I heard somewhere today he had released 39 studio albums?! Is that true? Anyway, I was never a fan but may he rest in peace.

yep 39, as well as producing loads of stuff for others over the years too...one hell of a workaholic. Allegedly there are also over 20k plus unreleased songs in the Paisley Park vaults too.

I read that he financed Warrants debut - is that true???

That would be amazing.

They recorded their demo for Paisley Park records so I guess he had some hand in it