Enuff Z'nuff - Clowns Lounge

Stefan

I think this makes it official, Frontiers now has had pretty much every B-level '80s band on their roster at one time or another. :D

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paraphenalia, Seven and 10 are all excellent albums. You could throw their best 20 to 30 songs up against anybody else's, regardless of genre, without embarrassment.

Their debut album which was their most successful is their worst in my opinion.

The issue I have with Enuff Znuff without Vie is the fact that from all reports, he wrote the melodies.

Without him , will the songs be as good?. Time will tell I guess.

IMHO, the first three is definitely the top 3 of their career but I do think after 'Animals', 'Seven' and 'Paraphernalia' are the strongest thing they made while 'Blue Island' and 'Dissonance' could be their worst.

Judging from Chip Znuff's catastrophic solo album last year, I can say that this new album might be very patchy with only 2-3 good songs but still I like to hear their output and hopefully they surprise me, although without Donnie Vie, it's hard to say they're the same band because his vocal is actually what shaped their unique sound.

Wrongly lumped in with the disposable pop-metal bands of the late '80s,Enuff Z'Nuff are instead a truly gifted power pop act.

I'm sure those "disposable" pop-metal bands didn't like having Enuff Z'Nuff lumped in with them either.

well I like more Enuff Z'Nuff songs than Cheap Trick though :D

+1

+2. I have no time at all for Cheap Trick bar 'The Flame' and the 'Busted' album.

Paraphenalia, Seven and 10 are all excellent albums. You could throw their best 20 to 30 songs up against anybody else's, regardless of genre, without embarrassment.

Wow, strong words. I wonder how many people would agree with you? ;) If any. I personally hate those three albums you mention, but what on earth do you dislike so much about their debut? For me, it's their best album.

Yep the debut is excellent imo and their strongest album.

Stacked up very well in 1989 with a great rating of 86% from me.

And includes one of my all time favourite ballads 'I Could Never Be Without You'. I always say that a ballad can be excellent - although in truth most are cringe worthingly bad - but this is a bona fide 10/10 for me.....

And includes one of my all time favourite ballads 'I Could Never Be Without You'. I always say that a ballad can be excellent - although in truth most are cringe worthingly bad - but this is a bona fide 10/10 for me.....

I think I might have managed to squeeze that one into my wedding video... much, of course, to my wife's absolute delight.

I think I might have managed to squeeze that one into my wedding video... much, of course, to my wife's absolute delight.

ha ha lol, good man.

I remember seeing their video for "New Thing" and thinking "so this is when glam metal began to fade out" lol. I have since gone on to like that song and the crazy video, and them in general, but I am not really so interested in them when it's not Donnie singing. Same thing goes for bands like Skid Row without Bach, etc. Not much interest.

EZN have been up and down through the years, but only one album really did nothing for me (Question mark). As much as I love a lot of their stuff, they never ever bettered Strength, which was a monster from start to finish.

I know they always get the Beatles/Cheap Trick comparison, but I certainly dont think they really sound like either. If you listen to the first three albums, they easily fit with the other hair metal bands of the day more than Cheap Trick ever did (Busted was their closest to hair metal). Yes they obviously wear those influences on their sleeves, but not to the extent they sound like them.

I would certainly take EZN over Trick any day of the weak.

The first album had some great songs on it, but over all it reminds me of Poison with their debut. Not that they sound alike, but that they went overboard with image and bubblegum rock, and then toned it down for the second album, which for both bands, was more my cup of tea. Both good albums, but certainly not on a par with their sophomore releases.

All things said though, I really do not care for the idea of EZN without Vie. You can replace any member of the band, but without Chip and Donnie, the nucleus is gone. I hate to use the Beatles comparison, but not having Vie and Znuff as a partnership in the band would have been like not having Lennon and McCartney in the Beatles.

EZN have been up and down through the years, but only one album really did nothing for me (Question mark). As much as I love a lot of their stuff, they never ever bettered Strength, which was a monster from start to finish.

I know they always get the Beatles/Cheap Trick comparison, but I certainly dont think they really sound like either. If you listen to the first three albums, they easily fit with the other hair metal bands of the day more than Cheap Trick ever did (Busted was their closest to hair metal). Yes they obviously wear those influences on their sleeves, but not to the extent they sound like them.

I would certainly take EZN over Trick any day of the weak.

The first album had some great songs on it, but over all it reminds me of Poison with their debut. Not that they sound alike, but that they went overboard with image and bubblegum rock, and then toned it down for the second album, which for both bands, was more my cup of tea. Both good albums, but certainly not on a par with their sophomore releases.

All things said though, I really do not care for the idea of EZN without Vie. You can replace any member of the band, but without Chip and Donnie, the nucleus is gone. I hate to use the Beatles comparison, but not having Vie and Znuff as a partnership in the band would have been like not having Lennon and McCartney in the Beatles.

'Strength', The Poison comparison, and Donnie/Chip partnership are spot on bro

ha ha lol, good man.

Its not the only thing he managed to squeeze into that video.

• My Little Pony

ha ha lol, good man.

Its not the only thing he managed to squeeze into that video.

Do tell.

well I like more Enuff Z'Nuff songs than Cheap Trick though :D

+1

+2. I have no time at all for Cheap Trick bar 'The Flame' and the 'Busted' album.

Wow, strong words. I wonder how many people would agree with you? ;) If any. I personally hate those three albums you mention, but what on earth do you dislike so much about their debut? For me, it's their best album.

I just felt that the songs on the debut album lacked the maturity that subsequent albums had. Obviously the hit songs on the debut album were excellent but the majority of other songs on that album were average at best.

Future songs like How Are You, Someday, Home Tonight, Joni Lynn and There Goes My Heart are indicative of the greatness that is Donnie Vie and Enuff Znuff.Songs like Kiss The Clown and Finger On The Trigger, not so much.

FLY HIGH MONACO … Enuff Z’Nuff and vocalist Johnny Monaco part ways

April 18, 2016 • Posted under: News by Metal Sludge
Tags: Chip Z'nuff, Donnie Vie, Enuff Z'nuff, Frontiers Records, Johnny Manaco

METAL SLUDGE EXCLUSIVE: In what appears to be a mutual decision, Monaco said he has no plans to return, as founding bassist Chip Z’Nuff has taken over lead vocals

LOS ANGELES — Johnny Monaco, lead singer and guitarist for Enuff Z’Nuff, has announced he is out of the band in the wake of Enuff Z’Nuff playing in New York this past weekend without him, Monaco said just a few minutes ago in a Metal Sludge exclusive.

“Initially, I just wanted to take a break because of a problem with my thumb — it’s called “trigger thumb” — to figure out my treatment options, but now I’m not sure if I want to come back because it looks like I’m not needed,” Monaco said.

Chip Z’Nuff took over lead singing duties at two small-scale in New York. Check the youtube video below. Tony Stoffregen and Tony Fennell are playing guitar in the video.

Furthermore, Monaco said he felt snubbed in not being included in a new record contract for Enuff Z’Nuff that Chip just signed with top European label Frontiers Records.

“I’m disappointed in not being involved,” Monaco said. “Frontiers wants old songs with (original singer) Donnie Vie. Chip is saying this is going to be a new record, but it’s not. It’s old stuff with Donnie. Part of the deal, I think they’re giving Donnie money obviously because he wrote the songs. That’s another thing. If I was the writer, it would make more sense for me to still be in the band.”

Monaco said he spoke to Z’Nuff two days ago and that Chip said he wants to do the singing now.

Z’Nuff was not available for comment.

Monaco, from Chicago, was in Enuff Z’Nuff from 1996 to 2008, then rejoined in 2013.

“Now I know how Donnie felt,” Monaco said. “Me and him have the same kind of issues with the whole thing.”

More details as they develop.

This is just odd....lol......as for the Enuff Z'Nuff debate about who, which, when.....I love the first album with Strength and Animals not far behind.

The thing with Enuff Z'Nuff is that when they lost their 'edge' sound-wise they went towards a more pop/Beatles vibe than the more rocking/metallic elements of their initial material. That's when I started to get a little disgruntled with them. They were writing good 'songs'...but they weren't kicking me in the butt. They were more pop than metal at that time...and I kind of didn't like that. They lost Frigo and I think that edge left with him. They still write a good catchy tune....but they don't 'rock' anymore, to me.

As for having Monaco or Chip sing....no way....Vie has too much of a signature vocal for it to work. Kind of like Autograph using Simon Daniels as their singer when you just can't replace Steve Plunkett.

Ordinary band on a very long and extraordinarily bad run of terrible releases. One can only think Frontiers heard some demos they liked it they need to write off some expenses?

Excellent signing, Frontiers!! ;)

Anyway, I do have 3 CDs of demos from these guys and if I recall, some of their early shit is pretty damn good. But all but completely inaudible. It'd be kind of cool if they dug some of that stuff up with good sound quality.

Otherwise, weren't most of their mid 90's albums just leftovers anyway? Are we going to get the leftovers of the leftovers?