2016 ratings (so far)

PeterS

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Found this when looking for new stuff to listen to. Should upset a few people :-)

https://rateyourmusic.com/list/huskerchief21/best_melodic_rock_metal_aor_albums_of_2016/1/

Not a bad list....a lot of those I haven't heard. I mean, I sample what I can and usually only buy an album if I've heard multiple songs from it I've liked or have some history of liking the band. I like lists like this as I'll often go back to them when I'm searching for something new to listen to.

My personal favorites for 2016 would be:

Defiants - S/T

Pretty Maids - Kingmaker

Nordic Union - S/T

Tyketto - Reach

Maverick - Big Red

Treat - Ghost Of Graceland

Cruzh - S/T

Tango Down - Bullet Proof

The top 3 are all pretty interchangeable and could easily change depending on my mood. I'd say there is a pretty big gap between Nordic Union and Tyketto though. I know many here weren't really fond of Tyketto but I liked it.

The "sleeper" for me is really that Maverick album. I only bought it a couple weeks ago but really dig it and I really might move it ahead of Tyketto once I spend more time with it. I hadn't heard of these guys before and had to put their first album on my Christmas list after sampling most of it on You Tube and liking a lot of what I heard.

Overall, I was pretty happy with 2016....good to see melodic rock/hard rock still being put out there even if it does take a little work to find it sometimes :)

Maybe it's just me, but I think the first half of 2016 was considerably better than the second half has been...

Tend to agree but I do also see there are quite a few from the second half I need to give more time to.

The Angels or Kings is getting a lot of play right now, And the second Sixx A.M. being an obvious two.

Just heard ANGELS OR KINGS with low expectation and turns out to be a goodie. Well the second SIXX AM is somewhat better than the first, but I only like a handful songs out of it though, not really a strong album but a better output compared to the first indeed

Not a huge amount of time to do the specific ratings this year, but based purely on number of plays -

1. Defiants - s/t

2. Vega - Who We Are

3. Nordic Union - s/t

4. Ted Poley - Beyond The Fade

5. White Widdow - Silhouette

6. Treat - Ghosts of Graceland

7. Wigelius - Tabula Rasa

8. First Signal - One Step Over The Line

9. Tremonti - Dust

10. Seven - Shattered

Honourables - (in no order)

Maverick - Big Red

Sixx AM - both

Pretty Maids - Kingmaker

Reckless Love - InVader

A few disappointments for me personally -

Mecca - III (after all the hype, I just found it a bit underwhelming....only listened on YT)

Overland - Contagious (after the great Epic this was pretty weak)

Eden's Curse - Cardinal (not a patch on the last album)

What do you mean - "Sixx AM - both" ; they're completely different albums! Oh, except for the part where if you made a compilation you'd not a hope in hell of guessing which song was from which album. It's all very good stuff... but it is a lot of songs in one style for one year. It's foolish to say I wish it was only one album when it is all good, but it is all very similar. ;)

Agree with your disappointments too. Well, Mecca wasn't a disappointment as I always knew it'd be crap. But the Overland album is indeed a dud; far weaker than the last one, and just poor. And Eden's Curse is the worst album they've recorded, even including the ones with paw paw face on vocals.

Your list will probably be similar to mine, though I expect Nordic Union to be much further down for me. And Tremonti is not a consideration for me, obviously.

What do you mean - "Sixx AM - both" ; they're completely different albums! Oh, except for the part where if you made a compilation you'd not a hope in hell of guessing which song was from which album. It's all very good stuff... but it is a lot of songs in one style for one year. It's foolish to say I wish it was only one album when it is all good, but it is all very similar. ;)

Agree with your disappointments too. Well, Mecca wasn't a disappointment as I always knew it'd be crap. But the Overland album is indeed a dud; far weaker than the last one, and just poor. And Eden's Curse is the worst album they've recorded, even including the ones with paw paw face on vocals.

Your list will probably be similar to mine, though I expect Nordic Union to be much further down for me. And Tremonti is not a consideration for me, obviously.

Yeah I have to agree I would have preferred one album from Sixx AM with just my personal favs (;))............would have maybe cracked the top 10 then.

I don't think the Mecca is crap - but it is way too mellow for me. The first single had me hopeful, but it turned out to be the best song and at just 8 tracks it's waaaaaay too short.

I still think the Nordic Union is great - just a great bunch of killer hard rock songs - far better than the Pretty Maids effort imo. It also contains 2 of my top tracks of the year in 'Falling' and '21 Guns'

I'll have a go at my top 10

1) Too close to touch - Haven't been Myself

2) I prevail - Lifelines

3) Ted Poley - Beyond the fade

4) Miss behaviour - Ghostplay

5) Throw the Fight - Transmissions

6) Skillet - Unleashed

7) Black Stone Cherry - Kentucky

8) Palace - Master of the Universe

9) Maverick - Big Red

10) Vega - Who we are

My best of list would be very similar to many others and would include the likes of Treat, Defiants, Wigelius, White Widdow, First Signal, Reckless Love and others.

To be different, I'd like to share 5 discs that blew me away in 2016 that won't be found on everyone's list.

DARE - Sacred Ground

I know this one will be on some lists, but not on everyone's. The smooth and easy flow reminded me of listening to Loverboy's - Just Getting Started when it came out in 2007.

THEOCRACY - Ghost Ship

This is an amazing release, Power Metal / Prog Metal blended with killer Melodic Metal. I picture this is what Savatage could do with Zac Stevens if they were still around.

FATES WARNING - Theories Of Flight

Easily the best Prog Metal release of 2016, just so bloody good on every level.

SUNSTRIKE - Ready II Strike

The songs are great and in my opinion maybe the best collection of Melodic Rock tracks of 2016, but the production is over the top and too busy, yet these guys are still great.

BODH'AKTAN - s/t

Not HH material in any way. It's French Canadian Folk Rock, but without a doubt the album I spun the most in 2016. It came out in January and I still play it on a weekly basis.

• My Little Pony

My best of list would be very similar to many others and would include the likes of Treat, Defiants, Wigelius, White Widdow, First Signal, Reckless Love and others.

To be different, I'd like to share 5 discs that blew me away in 2016 that won't be found on everyone's list.

DARE - Sacred Ground

I know this one will be on some lists, but not on everyone's. The smooth and easy flow reminded me of listening to Loverboy's - Just Getting Started when it came out in 2007.

THEOCRACY - Ghost Ship

This is an amazing release, Power Metal / Prog Metal blended with killer Melodic Metal. I picture this is what Savatage could do with Zac Stevens if they were still around.

The songs are great and in my opinion maybe the best collection of Melodic Rock tracks in 2016, but the production is over the top and too busy, but these guys are still great.

BODH'AKTAN - s/t

Not HH material in any way. It's French Canadian Folk Rock, but without a doubt the album I spun the most in 2016. I came out in January and I still play it on a weekly basis.

I'll have to check out that last one.

I wonder if that Sunstrike one is another one that was released in June when I was on holidays? Wasn't aware of that at all, but I'll check it out asap.

DARE - Sacred Ground

THEOCRACY - Ghost Ship

The songs are great and in my opinion maybe the best collection of Melodic Rock tracks of 2016, but the production is over the top and too busy, yet these guys are still great.

BODH'AKTAN - s/t

Not HH material in any way. It's French Canadian Folk Rock, but without a doubt the album I spun the most in 2016. It came out in January and I still play it on a weekly basis.

Some lovely cherry pickings here! Will sing for ya the chorus of Summer days (and not only) and Ivory Gate of Dreams :tumbsup:

Bodhak-who ? Why when I google it, result said punk and not folk ? Will find some time to explore it :D

well I think MECCA - III is the worse of the three, but not a horrible album, I think songs like 'Alone', 'Gone', 'A Kiss In The Wind', and 'Believe' are good for some relaxing moments :)

DARE - Sacred Ground

THEOCRACY - Ghost Ship

BODH'AKTAN - s/t

Just in the spirit of this list, on albums that may have been overlooked. I need to mention the Simple Plan album. I know, I know... it's Simple Plan. And I know, I know... they have a handful of basically unlistenable songs on the new album - I believe it's 4 of them.

But cast those 4 aside, which is easy to do in the digital age, and I kinda love this album. In fact, if I used Nightrain's and Glen's crazy rating system where you guys only rate 11 songs or whatever, this would probably be close to the 80% mark. Unfortunately the 4 shit songs really murder any score I could put on this, so it won't feature anywhere in my list, but it deserves a mention. If you're an album man, maybe not your thing... but if you've embraced the digital age and just pluck the songs you love, give it a fair go. More than worth the chance.

When you need to skip on a 10 track album is far worse than when you need to skip on a 14 track album ;)

Anyway who has time these days for ratings?? I barely get time to listen to the albums :lol:

When you need to skip on a 10 track album is far worse than when you need to skip on a 14 track album ;)

Anyway who has time these days for ratings?? I barely get time to listen to the albums :lol:

I'm still able to play 2 CDs on my way to work and home, and sometimes another CD at home, so usually 3 CDs will be rated.

And during lunch, I'm able to play half album or if lucky, one whole album on MP3, and that's another one, so in average I'm exposed to 3-4 albums each day, not bad huh :D

anyway, why can't you find some time to listen ? Is it the job or family ?

I'm still able to play 2 CDs on my way to work and home, and sometimes another CD at home, so usually 3 CDs will be rated.

And during lunch, I'm able to play half album or if lucky, one whole album on MP3, and that's another one, so in average I'm exposed to 3-4 albums each day, not bad huh :D

anyway, why can't you find some time to listen ? Is it the job or family ?

Both lol. V busy these days. Still love my music tho.

The problem is if something doesnt grab me on first listen it will not get listened to again and will not get rated. Shame.

Where's everyone's top lists for the year. I wanna see what I missed etc....

The year's not finished yet, is it?

I'm just re-rating my top 60 or so and expect to have a final list pretty early in 2017. I need to give Magic Dance proper time to sink in too, as it is a top 10 finisher.

I dont get all this synth wave stuff.

Sounds like dodgy 80s film soundtracks to me.

Is this new one any better then the last album - that did very little for me.

Not a huge amount of time to do the specific ratings this year, but based purely on number of plays -

1. Defiants - s/t

2. Vega - Who We Are

3. Nordic Union - s/t

4. Ted Poley - Beyond The Fade

5. White Widdow - Silhouette

6. Treat - Ghosts of Graceland

7. Wigelius - Tabula Rasa

8. First Signal - One Step Over The Line

9. Tremonti - Dust

10. Seven - Shattered

After some more listening have re-jigged my top 10. In particular the Seven album....what a great disc that is. Also heard the bonus song on Spotify which is excellent. Has anyone heard the Jap bonus on Vega??

1. Defiants - s/t

2. Vega - Who We Are

3. Nordic Union - s/t

4. Seven - Shattered

5. Ted Poley - Beyond The Fade

6. Treat - Ghosts of Greaceland

7. Tremonti - Dust

8. White Widdow - Silhouette

9. Wigelius - Tabula Rasa

10. First Signal - One Step

I dont get all this synth wave stuff.

Sounds like dodgy 80s film soundtracks to me.

Is this new one any better then the last album - that did very little for me.

If you didn't like that 3 song EP from earlier in the year, don't bother. The new one is better than the last album... but I don't think it'll convert you. Though, that said, I don't really consider Magic Dance 100% "synthwave," especially compared to the others. There is heaps more guitar and to me, they are definitely more melodic rock / AOR than the other artists of the genre.