2016 ratings (so far)

PeterS

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Defiants still held strong for me too although I now placed Vega on the top spot. Defiants will battle the 2nd spot with Nordic Union and still undecided yet as of now.

the new Dare sounded better than their last 3-4 albums, but a bit too samey and quite safe and probably need more upliftin' and rockin' approach, but all in all a good album, definitely out of my top 10 spots though

I listened to the defiants + ted poley in the stereo of my car with Revolve. I had to cry. They can't hold a candle to it.

So far it's Wigelius + Fates Warning by light years away. I still have to decide on Vega + Vektor. But to be honest, every time I listen to Vega, I have a strong compulsion to listen to their previous stuff. And thus I can't see it making my list.

Btw, I'm still trying to figure the lyrics to Skin Deep. Gawd, what they were thinking back then... Probably my absolute favorite track from them

• 3 weeks later...

Been out of the loop for a few months, but has anything worthwhile actually been released since the Wigelius, Defiants, Treat, Ted Poley and Vega were all released in quick succession? I'm still keeping half an eye on new releases, but I haven't been aware of anything since these albums, which are about 3 months old now, aren't they? The year seems to have stopped in it's tracks?

True. Been a very quiet couple of months - things look OK for the end of the year though.

I'm looking forward to checking out these at the very least -

Cruzh, Tango Down, Miss Behaviour, Alter Bridge (new single is immense!!), Eden's Curse, Mecca (love the first full track!!), Toby Hitchcock (hoping this will still be 2016?), Pretty Maids

Been out of the loop for a few months, but has anything worthwhile actually been released since the Wigelius, Defiants, Treat, Ted Poley and Vega were all released in quick succession? I'm still keeping half an eye on new releases, but I haven't been aware of anything since these albums, which are about 3 months old now, aren't they? The year seems to have stopped in it's tracks?

Our tastes rarely collide but you might like the First Signal.

Rage of Angels was also OK. I liked the Sixx AM as well. PJ Farley also quite enjoyable.

It has been a series of pretty average albums this year , IMO , though.

My list of albums that are getting the most play up to this point, in alphabetical order:

Fates Warning - Theories Of Flight
Nordic Union - ST
Redemption - The Art Of Loss
Treat - Ghost of Graceland
Vega - Who We Are
Vektor - Terminal Redux
Wigelius - Tabula Rasa
Albums of interest not listened to yet :
Eternity's End - Fire From Within
Marauder- Bullethead
Omen - Hammer Damage
Poverty's No Crime - Spiral Of Fear
Sacral Rage- Illusions In Infinite Void
Stairway- Power And Glory

True. Been a very quiet couple of months - things look OK for the end of the year though.

I'm looking forward to checking out these at the very least -

Cruzh, Tango Down, Miss Behaviour, Alter Bridge (new single is immense!!), Eden's Curse, Mecca (love the first full track!!), Toby Hitchcock (hoping this will still be 2016?), Pretty Maids

Add Seven to that - cannot wait for that. Expectations very high !!!

Our tastes rarely collide but you might like the First Signal.

Rage of Angels was also OK. I liked the Sixx AM as well. PJ Farley also quite enjoyable.

It has been a series of pretty average albums this year , IMO , though.

Yeah, I heard a bit of the First Signal tonight, which to be honest, sounds as good as anything released so far this year... if not a little better. The new Paris album also sounded pretty decent.

I've heard Rage Of Angels, Sixx AM and the Farley albums... all pretty decent. I prefer the Moratti album to Rage Of Angels, though, by quite a bit.

interested to hear the new DEATH ANGEL, the last 2-3 albums been decent but nothing spectacular, do you think the new one can top the classic 'ultra' or 'frolic' ?

Buddy , grab Vektor, goddammit!

Did you mean Vektor - Terminal Redux ? is it good ?

interested to hear the new DEATH ANGEL, the last 2-3 albums been decent but nothing spectacular, do you think the new one can top the classic 'ultra' or 'frolic' ?

Buddy , grab Vektor, goddammit!

Did you mean Vektor - Terminal Redux ? is it good ?

Bloody good, buddy! And you know that I'm not fan of straight forward thrash/punk. This is uber the top space/technical/rifforamatic technotrhrash of the highest caliber with SF lyrics and a great dehydrated throat (a mixture of Death's Chuck + Pestilence's Mameli). For all the thrashonauts/spacethrashers out there! Add to that package also a great compendium of leads/breakdowns/tempo changes!

And imagine that, although aware of them, I never gave them a chance 'till I was doing, recently, a search about astronomical references in contemporary rock/metal music and came across their lyrics! Then I went straight ahead to spotify and the rest is history... I already grabbed their latest "Terminal Redux" vinyl + 2 cool tees with SF themes from Earache's mailorder. To find first pressings of their other titles on vinyl is the real challenge now, and I'm glad that they renew my interest in vinyl hunting.

The only thing I regret is that because of my recent spendings (new MTB + physiotherapist fees + tattoos) I don't have enough money till the end of the month in order to make the trip to Athens-Greece and catch them live during the summer part of their European tour.

• My Little Pony

I predict we have yet to hear the best 3 AOR albums of the year -

Boulevard

Really want this one to be good.

Mecca

Boulevard

Seven

Well we can write those three off immediately. All these predictions always seem to go to shit.

Hey dudes, where's the Vain album at? Has that been released, or will it be?

I gotta say, I'm finding it hard to fault the First Signal album. It's a little "project-ish," but finding a fault in it to mark it down for that is very hard. It's sitting at the top of my list pretty comfortably at the moment. I think I will really grow to love this one once I get really familiar with it. Every single song is so strong.

Mecca

Boulevard

Seven

Well we can write those three off immediately. All these predictions always seem to go to shit.

Hey dudes, where's the Vain album at? Has that been released, or will it be?

I gotta say, I'm finding it hard to fault the First Signal album. It's a little "project-ish," but finding a fault in it to mark it down for that is very hard. It's sitting at the top of my list pretty comfortably at the moment. I think I will really grow to love this one once I get really familiar with it. Every single song is so strong.

I just got a feelin those 3 will be good - if Seven can produce something anywhere near the debut I will love it.

Vain will be released later in the year I believe.

I've gotten a grand total of four (!) 2016 releases this year.

... and since I don't understand this "percentage" system y'all are using and math makes my head hurt, I'm simply going to use the good ol' fashioned "Fuck yeah!" or "Fuck no!" rating scale for each...

Anthrax, For All Kings - Fuck No!

Metal Church, XI - BIG time Fuck Yeah! (album of the year for me, fo shizzle.)

Megadeth, Dystopia - Fuck Yeah!

Lunar Shadow, Triumphator - Fuck Yeah!

I should be adding a few more to this list before the year's out.. I'm very interested in Michael Sweet's new solo disc and Overkill have a new one in the pipeline as well... and even tho I know in my heart it'll be a disappointment, I'll probably pick up the new Metallica too cuz old habits die hard (shrugs)

:D

my ratings on :

ANTHRAX 68.8% (couple of great moments but mostly mediocre and not so good)

METAL CHURCH 72.7% (quite good but not really great)

MEGADETH 80.47% (a grower, still reluctant to rate high on 3-4 tracks, but interested to compare it to the new Metallica, although I think Megadeth might win)

never heard of Lunar Shadow, looks like a heavy metal band, are they playing old school style ?

interested to check out

my ratings on :

MEGADETH 80.47% (a grower, still reluctant to rate high on 3-4 tracks, but interested to compare it to the new Metallica, although I think Megadeth might win)

never heard of Lunar Shadow, looks like a heavy metal band, are they playing old school style ?

interested to check out

I don't have the stamina + discipline to listen again to Anthrax + Metal church. I won't even rate them.

Hopefully, the new Testament will wipe the floor with them. I'm not Testament fan, but my expectations are high due to the fact that they employ the mighty rhythm section from Death's masterpiece "Individual Thought Patterns".

I was listening to some stuff Steve Di Giorgio is doing with Terra Odium and I was blown away.

my ratings on :

interested to check out

I don't have the stamina + discipline to listen again to Anthrax + Metal church. I won't even rate them.

Hopefully, the new Testament will wipe the floor with them. I'm not Testament fan, but my expectations are high due to the fact that they employ the mighty rhythm section from Death's masterpiece "Individual Thought Patterns".

I was listening to some stuff Steve Di Giorgio is doing with Terra Odium and I was blown away.

well yeah the last two Testament albums are pretty good, I think the new one is probably equal or better :)

• 3 months later...