Dan Reed Network - Fight Another Day

Stefan

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Very disapointing release. Not that its a bad album, just that instead of being a Dan Reed Network album, it just sounds like another Dan Reed solo release. Beyond one or two songs, it has very little connection to the classic sound.

Had it been released as a solo album I would have liked it more as I would not have got myself all worked up expecting a Network sounding album.

Far too mellow, with not enough rock or funk elements.

Very disapointing release. Not that its a bad album, just that instead of being a Dan Reed Network album, it just sounds like another Dan Reed solo release. Beyond one or two songs, it has very little connection to the classic sound.

Had it been released as a solo album I would have liked it more as I would not have got myself all worked up expecting a Network sounding album.

Far too mellow, with not enough rock or funk elements.

Have to disagree with that ..Sounds pretty much like a Network record to me. listen to the first track 'Divided' or 'Champion' and 'Infected' for just 3 examples!!!!..All his recent solo albums have been pretty acoustic based, which this definitely isn't, so it doesn't sound like recent DR solo albums either. It probably doesn't 'rock out' as much as past albums and isn't as funky either, as you say, but I think you need to listen to it again a good few times ;)

I had a quick flick through on Spotify last night and to a certain degree i can sympathise with CH if he was expecting another Slam.

Its certainly a mellow record for DRN but even with a quick listen i detected some fair quality throughout - its certainly an album which will need a few listens.

I had a quick flick through on Spotify last night and to a certain degree i can sympathise with CH if he was expecting another Slam.

Its certainly a mellow record for DRN but even with a quick listen i detected some fair quality throughout - its certainly an album which will need a few listens.

I'd agree with that to an extent, but are people really expecting another exact copy of 'Slam' or the debut in this day and age? You can tell straight away listening to the songs that have been pre-released how they sound now. The major difference here is the production and updated keyboard sounds and certainly not the style of the songs, which, whilst I agree are slightly more mellow in places, are still definitely 100% DRN in style. I can understand why some may be a little disappointed that it doesn't sound exactly like 'Slam' , but to say this has nothing to connect it with previous DRN albums I would say is way off the mark. Each to their own and all that, but i'm certainly not at all disappointed and absolutely loving it.

Sounding good to me,some really old school DRN tunes in the mix here with some of the new,think "Champion" or "Eye Of The Storm" are fighting it out to be my favourite tune so far...only "save the world" is sounding like not my cuppa tea but overall its a good cd to my ears :)

I'd agree with that to an extent, but are people really expecting another exact copy of 'Slam' or the debut in this day and age? You can tell straight away listening to the songs that have been pre-released how they sound now. The major difference here is the production and updated keyboard sounds and certainly not the style of the songs, which, whilst I agree are slightly more mellow in places, are still definitely 100% DRN in style. I can understand why some may be a little disappointed that it doesn't sound exactly like 'Slam' , but to say this has nothing to connect it with previous DRN albums I would say is way off the mark. Each to their own and all that, but i'm certainly not at all disappointed and absolutely loving it.

For sure. Im hoping to pick the disc up tomorrow

Im in no way a ballad man but seriously how good are 'Champion' and 'Be There With You'

2 of my fav songs this year.

'Champion' is leading the way for me too...great song

Very melodic stuff, more so than I was expecting. Also very laid back, again more so than I was expecting.

Not a barnburner by any stretch of the imagination, but an enjoyable "reflective" listen.

Very melodic stuff, more so than I was expecting. Also very laid back, again more so than I was expecting.

Not a barnburner by any stretch of the imagination, but an enjoyable "reflective" listen.

I have yet to hear the entire album as my copy has not arrived, but this does not surprise me... It's who Dan is and what Dan's become.

Works well for him as he seems to be a very happy and content individual... Sucks for those of us who are longing for more of his his 1988 output; but those days are over.

They still rock live, however!

Would be interested to see more opinions from non-diehard fans. All the diehards seem pretty happy with this, but as a neutral listener, I'll be honest - I thought this was really quite bad. Not just not good, but I actually found myself really disliking it. The 'Be there with you' song was about the only one I could play through, but let's be serious. Compared, to any song like it this year, it's not on par at all.

I know I know, I was never a fan of this band in the first place, but I was more than happy to listen to this with open ears. Personally, I couldn't give a toss burger about it supposedly being mellow (Is it? More than their other stuff?? Really?). I'm more interested in the songs, which I think are just very, very poor.

I am a fan of the early DRN. Sure he may have mellowed. But that is what his solo stuff is about? Maybe it was too much to expect the 'Network' at the back end to mean the sound is more like the old stuff.

I'm not against mellow and melodic. I quite like the PJ Farley album. This one somehow misses the mark for me. A few good songs in there but not something I see myself spinning much now I've given it half a dozen goes.

To each their own i guess - i really enjoy it. First is exactly like old network to me. Second half is mellower but still good to these ears.

Would be interested to see more opinions from non-diehard fans. All the diehards seem pretty happy with this, but as a neutral listener, I'll be honest - I thought this was really quite bad. Not just not good, but I actually found myself really disliking it. The 'Be there with you' song was about the only one I could play through, but let's be serious. Compared, to any song like it this year, it's not on par at all.

I know I know, I was never a fan of this band in the first place, but I was more than happy to listen to this with open ears. Personally, I couldn't give a toss burger about it supposedly being mellow (Is it? More than their other stuff?? Really?). I'm more interested in the songs, which I think are just very, very poor.

I am a big fan of the band, and really like Dans solo stuff, but beyond a couple of songs on this one, it just does nothing for me.

Had hoped it would be a grower, but each time I put it on, I kinda zone out half way through and lose interest.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...