Steel Panther Australian/New Zealand tour 2016

DaHun72

Glad i saw them when they were still small. Small venue and about £20. Twas awesome.

Yeah, I've seen them twice now (once at Soundwave and once on tour) and it has been very affordable. Even as a massive fan of the band, that's way, way too much for me.

And Lindsay, introduce me to your friend. He sounds cool.

Not to get into this discussion again, but how exactly have a band like, let's say Crashdiet, for example, been telling more jokes, or stating more truths (if that's their thing) than Steel Panther?

Steel Panther swear and sing about crude things... but how has that got any less lifespan than the 48 trillion relationship songs we all listen to day in day out? Or songs about sleaze in the streets or whatever? Put it into context, peoples...

If anything, their different take on things is a gigantic breath of fresh air. It definitely is to me.

90 $ is too much. There was a time when I used to see them every couple months (2011 and 2012) but haven't been to one of their shows since then. I don't remember if the last time I saw them was in 2012 or maybe once in 2013 so would like to go this time if they're in Europe and tickets are in line with previous prices. Tickets were always around 30 - 40 Euros which is okay

AU $93.80 - AU $205.80 for tickets. HAHAHAHA. Pass.

I passed at the steel panther bit.

You know how you have that 1 mate who tells you the same joke every time you see them.... Yeah, that's steel panther.

and the friend was never funny to begin with...

Glad i saw them when they were still small. Small venue and about £20. Twas awesome.

Yeah, I've seen them twice now (once at Soundwave and once on tour) and it has been very affordable. Even as a massive fan of the band, that's way, way too much for me.

Not to get into this discussion again, but how exactly have a band like, let's say Crashdiet, for example, been telling more jokes, or stating more truths (if that's their thing) than Steel Panther?

Steel Panther swear and sing about crude things... but how has that got any less lifespan than the 48 trillion relationship songs we all listen to day in day out? Or songs about sleaze in the streets or whatever? Put it into context, peoples...

If anything, their different take on things is a gigantic breath of fresh air. It definitely is to me.

Because Crashdiet (or whoever else) don't have 1 album with 12 songs about relationships, let alone 5 albums with 12 songs with each and every one being about relationships.

That is why I find steel panther get boring, because every song on every album is based on a similar topic. The music might be good but that is not their selling point, their selling point is their lyrics. It's like they are releasing 'concept' albums... With the concept being sex, and every album having the same 'concept'.

If they were writing 'serious' tunes they would be playing to 50 people a night like other hard rock bands. I would love to see them release a serious tune under and alias and see how it goes.

Hardly right - not all their songs are about relationships.

Death to all but metal is about the music industry

Fat girl is about body shape

Asian hooker is about equal opportunities

Handicapped slut is about diversity

Gang bang is about care homes

Tiger Woods is about golf

Weenie ride is about fairground attractions

Sexy santa is about christmas

I want pussy is about domestic animals

Turn out the lights is about power cuts

But you are right about Bukkake Tears - that about relationships....branching out.

Yeah, I know the last posts are kind of in jest, but make an obvious point. It is actually really stupid to say all their songs are exactly the same and it suggests you may actually never have listened to the band properly - more likely you've just created an idea about them in your head without hearing it for yourself.

There is no doubt a "theme" amongst their tunes, just like there is a general theme amongst glam bands, christian bands or AOR bands.

The debut alone covers subjects (each a separate song) like the state of metal music, large women, strippers, Asian sex workers, unattractive women, partying, a communal penis, a woman with panther-like eyes, cheating in relationships, sexual positions and backstage passes.

Say what you will about the subject matter, but it is just as diverse as any other hard rock album. It seems you guys still just get your panties in a knot over the rude language and make assumptions, without actually realistically comparing it to an album you may enjoy. The basic fact is, that if they were as repetitive as you suggest, they honestly wouldn't have had anywhere near the success they have, nor the fans they do.

In order to riff on the absurdity of the dying days of this genre at the end of the 80s Steel Panther have to take things to an even more extreme level, hence the prevalence of material based on hummers and dicks etc. Spinal Tap had an easier time in their moc doc because they didn't have to contend with the overtly superficial and often times stranger than fiction hedonism of hair metal but if you listen closely to the lyrical content of Steel Panther's albums there are many many moments of hilariously genius poetic couplings. These guys are funny. Their street cred having come up through that time period along side their crudely funny stage banter, comedic timing and catchy songs makes them one hell of an entertaining show. If I hadn't seen them live before I'd put up that kinda cabbage to see them.

Haters can hate if they want to, but ask yourself if everything your favorite comedian comes up with is absolute gold?

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah those are some pricey tickets!

As for the old Steel Panther debate...I think if there was no difference between SP and other bands of the same genre then this debate wouldn't come up so often. Clearly there is something different about SP and IMO it is two things 1. The embarrassingly crude-in your face lyrics and 2. The tongue-in-cheek / take the piss image. Musically they are great - I have never disputed that, but the lyrics and image do prevent me from liking this band. I don't know how to explain it any better. Pick a band...Skid Row, Winger, Ratt, Dokken for example. They each had a certain hard rock / glam image (some more than others) and songs about sex / hookers / pussy...whatever...but the difference is that those bands lived and breathed the whole 80s / early 90s hard rock scene and were serious about being a part of that music scene. Their lyrics were (generally) more subtle and their image was fitting with what was popular at that time. Fast forward a couple of decades and here comes Steel Panther going over the top with their crude lyrics and image, taking the piss out of those bands who came before them. Just look at photos of these guys...it's all a joke. The crude lyrics are so in your face it makes their music almost embarrassing to play loud in front of friends and family. Look no offence to anyone else and I respect that you like SP but not for me and those are my reasons why. Glad you enjoy em...I seriously am. I'm with Lindsay and would love to hear a serious effort from them under a different name.