Cover songs

Darkstone

• My Little Pony

Do you like this cover of Stone Roses' 'I am the Resurrection' by Merrymouth?https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIynyHwuZwc

Can't say i'm very familiar with much of "The Stone Roses" work.

I just checked out the original, but neither that or this "Merrymouth" version is really my cup of tea i'm afraid.

Ah, but are you a tea drinker?
Yeah, what kind of tea?
I am a tea drinker actually. Not that i have a cup of tea very often, but if given the choice between tea or coffee i'd go with tea everytime. Never been a coffee drinker at all, which i'm glad of when i see the amount of money the guys i work with spend on it. I don't know what it's like in the UK and Canada, but down here the price and pretentiousness of coffee has gotten a bit out of hand.

All of a sudden somebody who works at a coffe shop is called a "Barista" and god help you if you offer somebody instant coffee. I have friends who have spent thousands on fancy cafe style coffee machines who are horrified when they visit and i pull out the old "Nescafe Blend 43". Now that's a man's coffee.

Ah there's plenty of coffee pretentiousness here too for sure!

What kind of tea Karpetface? Well not the dodgy kind :wizard:

I mostly drink black teas, of which primarily Typhoo.

I'm also one of those pretentious coffee drinkers you two are talking about.

Do you like this cover of Stone Roses' 'I am the Resurrection' by Merrymouth?

I just checked out the original, but neither that or this "Merrymouth" version is really my cup of tea i'm afraid.

Yeah, what kind of tea?
I am a tea drinker actually. Not that i have a cup of tea very often, but if given the choice between tea or coffee i'd go with tea everytime. Never been a coffee drinker at all, which i'm glad of when i see the amount of money the guys i work with spend on it. I don't know what it's like in the UK and Canada, but down here the price and pretentiousness of coffee has gotten a bit out of hand.

All of a sudden somebody who works at a coffe shop is called a "Barista" and god help you if you offer somebody instant coffee. I have friends who have spent thousands on fancy cafe style coffee machines who are horrified when they visit and i pull out the old "Nescafe Blend 43". Now that's a man's coffee.

There are lots of gorgeous (+ pretentious) independent coffee houses springing up by me, including some that offer Barista training. I love sitting in them, reminds me of Vienna. I stick to tea though - good old Twinings

• My Little Pony

Do you like this cover of Stone Roses' 'I am the Resurrection' by Merrymouth?https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIynyHwuZwc

Yeah, what kind of tea?

There are lots of gorgeous (+ pretentious) independent coffee houses springing up by me, including some that offer Barista training. I love sitting in them, reminds me of Vienna. I stick to tea though - good old Twinings

"Springing up" is a good way to put it. That's definitely the case over here, too. I think people are getting tired of Starbucks and Tim Horton's (it's a Canadian thing) and want a richer coffee experience.

By the way, this reminds me of Vienna: https://youtu.be/wkeuV_igRBQ

Yeah, what kind of tea?

"Springing up" is a good way to put it. That's definitely the case over here, too. I think people are getting tired of Starbucks and Tim Horton's (it's a Canadian thing) and want a richer coffee experience.

By the way, this reminds me of Vienna: https://youtu.be/wkeuV_igRBQ

He's got a cool vibe going on. Plus that's another for the different songs with same title thread cos Ultravox did one called Vienna too

Here is one that kind of threw me and obviously as the song implies I too turned Japanese watching. Kirsten Dunst= :tits:

Lets just say that Kirsten Dunst has been responsible for turning me japanese on several occasions.

True and after watching the video again well I think you are tracking...

I actually really like this cover - obviously not as great as the classic original, but good to hear a more modern version.

great comment on you tube - one reviewer said if Apollo had played this version on the way to the ring he would have lived :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvkKGV5p8zw

I actually really like this cover - obviously not as great as the classic original, but good to hear a more modern version.

great comment on you tube - one reviewer said if Apollo had played this version on the way to the ring he would have lived :lol:

All covers of that song are great because it's a great tune. But yeah, I love that one too.

Does anyone still acknowledge the fact that the band Saliva still exist? They released another average album last year, but for me, the best song on the album was this pretty great Michael Jackson cover;

All covers of that song are great because it's a great tune. But yeah, I love that one too.

Does anyone still acknowledge the fact that the band Saliva still exist? They released another average album last year, but for me, the best song on the album was this pretty great Michael Jackson cover;

That is a pretty cool cover by Saliva!

For me Saliva are the kind of band who take a while for their music to seep in.And I generally find it hard to mix their music on a mix with other bands. But they've had some awesome music.

For me Saliva are the kind of band who take a while for their music to seep in.And I generally find it hard to mix their music on a mix with other bands. But they've had some awesome music.

Was listening to 'Hand in Hand' by them today after checking out the recommendation from Geoff above. Really love that one. For some reason it reminds me of 'I've seen that movie too' by E.John

• 2023 Gold Donors

Fairly old now, but i think they did a good job.

Not radically different from the original, but the addition of guitar to this already great track just enhances it for mine.

Was listening to 'Hand in Hand' by them today after checking out the recommendation from Geoff above. Really love that one. For some reason it reminds me of 'I've seen that movie too' by E.John

You could definitely get at least one, but maybe a two disc compilation out of their best tunes, and it'd be good stuff. They have a lot of albums and a lot of average songs, but definitely some good stuff amongst it.

You could definitely get at least one, but maybe a two disc compilation out of their best tunes, and it'd be good stuff. They have a lot of albums and a lot of average songs, but definitely some good stuff amongst it.

I saw Saliva live in a small club many moons ago - very good they were too. And a friendly bunch.

I was right in to the first 3 or 4 albums a few years ago.
Pretty sure I have the new album. I'll have to give it a spin. Will be a week or two before I can report back until the songs have been heard enough to get to know.

Here's my list of their best songs, which let you know where I got to with them

Superstar

Musta Been Wrong

Click Click Boom

Your Disease

After Me

Lackluster

Hollywood

My Goodbyes

Always

Back Into Your System

Rest In Pieces

Storm

Holdin On

Bait & Switch

One Night Only

Survival Of The Sickest

No Regrets (Vol. 2)

Two Steps Back

Open Eyes

I Want You

Razor's Edge

fuck, looks like I'm 6 albums behind.

I may have done a couple more and not added those songs I liked to my list

I;ll have to have a play tomorrow and see where I'm at :)

Still, the list above is from only 3 albums, not a bad return from each album (didn't like the first one)

I was right in to the first 3 or 4 albums a few years ago.

Pretty sure I have the new album. I'll have to give it a spin. Will be a week or two before I can report back until the songs have been heard enough to get to know.

Here's my list of their best songs, which let you know where I got to with them

Superstar

Musta Been Wrong

Click Click Boom

Your Disease

After Me

Lackluster

Hollywood

My Goodbyes

Always

Back Into Your System

Rest In Pieces

Storm

Holdin On

Bait & Switch

One Night Only

Survival Of The Sickest

No Regrets (Vol. 2)

Two Steps Back

Open Eyes

I Want You

Razor's Edge

Ah cheers Cure, I'll work my way through them and then choose an album of theirs to buy :rollercoaster:

I'm loving all this new music I'm getting exposed to! Had kind of got stuck into a rut with my listening habits until recently.

Friend at work has leant me a reggae CD which I would have said is not really my thing but I gave it a go today. It started off with a fun cover of Alphaville's Forever Young (by Patrick P). I'm actually loving the poetry of all the lyrics which reminds me to maybe start a thread to see whether people think a great song can be ruined by naff lyrics or whether the music would always be strong enough to override that.

Not radically different from the original, but the addition of guitar to this already great track just enhances it for mine.

Doesn't this sound soooo INXS?

• My Little Pony

https://youtu.be/lYzijRRRYxU

I love this version. It fills in a very spacious song, if that makes sense.

Ah cheers Cure, I'll work my way through them and then choose an album of theirs to buy :rollercoaster:

I'm loving all this new music I'm getting exposed to! Had kind of got stuck into a rut with my listening habits until recently.

Friend at work has leant me a reggae CD which I would have said is not really my thing but I gave it a go today. It started off with a fun cover of Alphaville's Forever Young (by Patrick P). I'm actually loving the poetry of all the lyrics which reminds me to maybe start a thread to see whether people think a great song can be ruined by naff lyrics or whether the music would always be strong enough to override that.

They are what others here might call modern rock, or nu metal or something like that.

Start with Your Disease

Hollywood

Rest In Pieces

No Regrets Vol 2

and then there's probably their most popular song (but not their best - Click Click Boom

If none of those do it for you, move on :)

Click click boom boom definitely didn't work for me. Listened to quite a few others but only Hand in Hand stuck in my head from 1st listening.

Will give the ones you've listed a try.

Looks like I may be leaning towards being a rock ballads kind of girl

• 2023 Gold Donors

I remember when Pat Benatar's version was released, i recognized it straight away as it was only about a year before that i saw this Aussie band's video on tv and didn't mind the tune.

Even though Pat's version is great and by far the superior one, it has always taken the shine off a bit for me, knowing it was a cover.

She didn't waste any time either.

I remember when Pat Benatar's version was released, i recognized it straight away as it was only about a year before that i saw this Aussie band's video on tv and didn't mind the tune.

Even though Pat's version is great and by far the superior one, it has always taken the shine off a bit for me, knowing it was a cover.

She didn't waste any time either.

https://youtu.be/PsnYrH3BUP8

https://youtu.be/KkgPUOgOrCM

Then again, I was asking my husband today whether he'd ever consider doing a cover of a song rather than writing original tracks. I thought, if I was an artist, I'd be kind of flattered if another band thought my music was worth singing & recording (plus it'd give my material extra exposure too). He said yes at first and then said that it actually causes all sorts of headaches though because of copyrights and permissions, royalties etc etc.

Shame, cos I reckon if bands did that more often it could be mutually beneficial (as long as it was hilighted it was a cover and clear recognition was given to the original band)

odd that Mark Free was not the original singer of "The Last Time", despite working with same writers on his album... Agnetha Faltskog recorded it before him and even shot a video.Such a great song, shame it was not a bigger hit for either of them.

Wow, had never realised Agnetha had a career outside of ABBA