Drive, She Said - Pedal To The Metal

Stefan

• 2 weeks later...

God the verse sounds like Meatloaf lol.

Ok ballad but is Al struggling there. ...pretty weak vocally imo.

Neat solo.

Very weak vocally, but I quite like the song. I'm still not sure about the whole production / sound quality / vocal combination. It just all sounds a little b-grade, but I like the actual song itself.

If you go over to MR.com today you will witness the worst promo pictures ever for a band.

Those pics make Tenacious D look more like a legit rock band.

If you go over to MR.com today you will witness the worst promo pictures ever for a band.

Those pics make Tenacious D look more like a legit rock band.

Funny you say that cause when I saw the video for ''Think of Love'' the first time I though that might have been Jack Black singing when he was younger :D

This is pretty good after a couple of spins. ' In 'R Blood' as heard above is my highlight and generally all the tunes are quite strong, except 'Rain Of Fire' which is a bit hit and miss. One track in particular I'm still trying to get my head and ears around is 'IM The Nyte' ...kinda weird dancey/techno type verse (which I don't like at all) followed by one of the best choruses on the whole damned album, which makes you want to keep listening. As mentioned above Al's vocals are a little weak in places (maybe a little low in the mix) but generally ok throughout and the general sound of this is pretty good, with the production definitely being upped over the last few releases, which is a major relief. All in all a good album and definitely worth a few more spins

The good: Instrumentally/musically I like this album. The vintage '80s keyboard riffs throughout are superb.

The bad: Not much staying power; the songs start to blur together. Will revisit and see if this changes over multiple listens.

The ugly: Lead vocals are VERY worn (otherwise known as "The Steve Walsh Effect"). Very ragged. I shudder to think what they would sound like live. "In Your Arms" makes me cringe.

P.S. Who the fuck sampled in some Rammstein in the middle of "IM the Nyte"? That song is a clusterfuck.

The good: Instrumentally/musically I like this album. The vintage '80s keyboard riffs throughout are superb.

The bad: Not much staying power; the songs start to blur together. Will revisit and see if this changes over multiple listens.

The ugly: Lead vocals are VERY worn (otherwise known as "The Steve Walsh Effect"). Very ragged. I shudder to think what they would sound like live. "In Your Arms" makes me cringe.

P.S. Who the fuck sampled in some Rammstein in the middle of "IM the Nyte"? That song is a clusterfuck.

I'd pretty much agree with those sentiments, I love it's 80's sound and it does make this album what it is. Will be interesting to see how this stands the test of time as you say.

• 2 weeks later...

Is this one of those albums that's getting worst after couple more spins ? :D

No! to be frank....there are some very good songs on here and I am still enjoying the 80's ness of it all, although one thing that is starting to annoy me (as with previous D,SS albums) is that the guitar solos on some songs are just to over the top and 'Widdly', when a simpler one would have been much better. Still a very good (but not great) album imho.

No! to be frank....there are some very good songs on here and I am still enjoying the 80's ness of it all, although one thing that is starting to annoy me (as with previous D,SS albums) is that the guitar solos on some songs are just to over the top and 'Widdly', when a simpler one would have been much better. Still a very good (but not great) album imho.

Who in their right mind would spin this more than once?

Aside from about 3 or 4 decent songs its weak as hell imo.....and as previously mentioned the vocals are really weak - pretty clear that Al's voice is shot if this is the best he can muster in the studio.

But let's be honest here, DSS have never been that great - even the debut only had 3 or 4 good songs on it.

Who in their right mind would spin this more than once?

Aside from about 3 or 4 decent songs its weak as hell imo.....and as previously mentioned the vocals are really weak - pretty clear that Al's voice is shot if this is the best he can muster in the studio.

But let's be honest here, DSS have never been that great - even the debut only had 3 or 4 good songs on it.

Personally I wouldn't agree with that, as for me there are at least 6+ great songs on the debut, although each subsequent album got gradually worse.. each to their own as they say. ;)

As I said, I still quite like the new album and i'd say at least 5 or 6 songs are well worthy of more spins, although you are right in saying the vocals are a bit on the weak side.

• 3 months later...

Just can't get into this album. It's okay-ish in places, but overall it's just unattractive to the ears and demands no repeated listens.