Possible band additions to HH - Your thoughts and opinions needed!

whiplash1972

I'm softening on the whole "only CDs!" policy. The only thing I would request is that when non-CD releases are added, that there be a note below the members section to the effect that "This album was only released on cassette/vinyl/8-track."

On the genres, I'm going to sit back and see what the consensus is, although I don't honestly expect there to be one. One person's definite inclusion is another's opening the gates to dilution hell...

Well......I have to agree that there should be some softening on the "only CDs" policy.......here's my take. There are an extraordinary amount of collectable bands out there that released material on cassette only......in addition, it appears that many of us are, or have been, collecting demos by well know bands over the years that also have been extremely in demand. What better place to become aware of all this wealth of material than on HH. One added note, there are already a number of items listed here that were available only on Cassette and never on CD. As an example "RAWKON"!!!

Finally, as originally asked by Mike, I have no objections to adding those classic bands. Here's why. I noticed you have Momas Pride on there. They released an indie CD that is very different than their classic stuff on CD back in 1996 here in the St Louis area. I have the CD and thought several times about posting it to the site (as it should be included). It is melodic Rock.

So that's my thoughts on this.....................

Delbert

Now...a topic that really floats my boat...and should be considered, is adding cassette or vinyl releases. I literally own hundreds upon hundreds of cassette and vinyl only releases that should be included on a website called 'heavy harmonies'. It ALWAYS amazes me at the silliness that people think the only good music that came out was on CD.....it's absolutely laughable. I have so many bands' cassette and vinyl releases that DESTROY the 'hyper rare' CD releases it isn't even funny. So, I would definitely be 'all in' at adding those types of releases.

Do we allow digital only releases also? I assume some bands are doing that now..

LOL...hell....I wouldn't mind starting with cassettes and vinyl....to get digital only releases would be difficult to some degree...maybe??

I have to agree with Jim.....there are a tremendous amount of vinyl and cassettes that are totally applicable to what the folks here want to hear and obtain.

• My Little Pony

Now...a topic that really floats my boat...and should be considered, is adding cassette or vinyl releases. I literally own hundreds upon hundreds of cassette and vinyl only releases that should be included on a website called 'heavy harmonies'. It ALWAYS amazes me at the silliness that people think the only good music that came out was on CD.....it's absolutely laughable. I have so many bands' cassette and vinyl releases that DESTROY the 'hyper rare' CD releases it isn't even funny. So, I would definitely be 'all in' at adding those types of releases.

Do we allow digital only releases also? I assume some bands are doing that now..

LOL...hell....I wouldn't mind starting with cassettes and vinyl....to get digital only releases would be difficult to some degree...maybe??

I have to agree with Jim.....there are a tremendous amount of vinyl and cassettes that are totally applicable to what the folks here want to hear and obtain.

I would put this as a priority over the adding of 70's Rock bands.

People moaning on that Supertamp have been added in recent days (6 discs) If they actually took notice, they have been on the main site for years, so it obviously wasn't an issue before...next!! ;)

It's amazing how people have differing perspectives on music. To me, Supertramp fits perfectly with HH, a quintessential AOR (as in the original meaning of the term: "album oriented radio") band of the 1970s.

It's amazing how people have differing perspectives on music. To me, Supertramp fits perfectly with HH, a quintessential AOR (as in the original meaning of the term: "album oriented radio") band of the 1970s.

Exactly. Perfectly suited and a very fine band. Obviously not for everyone, but I don't really understand people getting hot under the collar about them and others (remember Cher and Sir Michael B...Jeesus the fuss that was made) being included. Just because they're not to their taste, it doesn't mean they aren't to others.

Supertramp belongs for sure.

As for Bolton - who on earth can moan about that?? Up to and including The Hunger his albums are classic AOR

It was the inclusion of the 'Soul Provider' album that tipped some to the edge of insanity mate. It's still is a well deserved entry to the main pages (as is 'Time, Love and Tenderness' which isn't on there yet ...i'll have to put right at some stage and cause a little more outrage ;) ) Some of the songs on both being about as AOR as you can possibly get and the same goes for Cher and her late 80's early 90's stuff.

• 1 month later...
  • 2023 Gold Donors

As for Bolton - who on earth can moan about that?? Up to and including The Hunger his albums are classic AOR

It was the inclusion of the 'Soul Provider' album that tipped some to the edge of insanity mate. It's still is a well deserved entry to the main pages (as is 'Time, Love and Tenderness' which isn't on there yet ...i'll have to put right at some stage and cause a little more outrage ;) ) Some of the songs on both being about as AOR as you can possibly get and the same goes for Cher and her late 80's early 90's stuff.

Agree 100%

Agree 100%

One could even argue that ''The One Thing'' belongs on the site. There's more ballads and I'm certainly not requesting it but still with guitars provided by Dann Huff, Michael Landau and Michael Thompson some of the songs are nice lite AOR moments

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2023 Gold Donors

I agree but I think James Gang should also be in here. Tommy Bolin.

This site has Deep Purple & Moxy with Tommy Bolin. No James Gang or Tommy Bolin solo. They should be added just for the history of the bands.

• 11 months later...

I think if Yes, Micheal Bolton, Kenny (disco) Loggins, Richard (Disco) Marx are on here whats wrong with Joe Walsh?

Kenny Loggins isn't even on the main pages , but now you've reminded me, expect a couple of titles to show up very soon. Both him and Richard Marx aren't disco are they !!. Westcoast AOR, Lite AOR, Pop Rock is the order of the day and both very worthy of HH status and the same for Michael Bolton (Sir Michael to you sonny boy ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, Dan.......taking this a step further. There are litterally, thousands of bands, many of whom are already listed on this site, that recorded some killer demo tapes during the late 80's into the mid 90's that are certainly collectable and of high quality. As you know, this was the "in Vogue" thing to do during this period as it was much cheaper to record and duplicate a cassette tape as opposed to vinyl or CD. Many bands were doing this to promote themselves not only to record labels, but to their listening base as well.

My question is this........is there now room to start adding these collectable demo tapes to the site, many of which would become a part of the discography of many bands already listed, although there may be many additional tracks on these demos that were never released on CD? Then, there are the bands that never released a CD officially until labels such as Demon Doll, Ionian etc etc have discovered them.

Mull this over and let's either go with it or just dump the idea?

Thanks boss!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay in replying, Del. I was hoping some other folks might chime in with their thoughts.

I'm not opposed to it, but I think there are a couple of logistical issues that have to be dealt with:

1. I would want to limit it to demo tapes that were formally published and replicated, with artwork. No demos that the band members just recorded on Maxell tapes and gave out.

2. To clearly separate them from formal releases, I think the words "Demo Tape" should be added to the title.

3. Because many demo tapes are going to be rare/obscure, vetting the material before addition is going to be tougher than formally released material. Finding corroborating information online might be tough.

4. Artwork images for cassettes are rectangular, whereas all of the site formatting assumes the cover art images are perfectly square. I'm not quite sure how to handle that. Images can be padded on the narrow side with black space to make them perfectly square. I know how to do that, but I don't know that submitters or other site volunteers know how or have the software to do so.

In a perfect world, I would redo everything to include media categories for CD, cassette, vinyl, 8-track, DVD, Blu-Ray, and have corresponding image dimensions for each type, but that would require a major overhaul... the site as a whole needs an appearance overhaul to become momre mobile-friendly, but having just gone through managing such a process for a website at work, I can say that it is NOT a simple task, especially for a complicated site like HH. I just don't have the time, and hiring someone to do a redesign would be well into 4 figures. Given that the donation drive struggles to cover operating costs, there isn't the money for a responsive redesign.

Responsive web design can be complicated as hell, and that's an area in which I don't have a robust skill set. I know enough to be dangerous and can tweak existing CSS for need, but doing a complete responsive site design from the ground up is beyond my capabilities without a major learning curve and resulting time commitment.

I completely understand the logistics you are talking about to add the demos and agree, probably isn't practical at this time. However, may i suggest, a category in the forum dedicated to demo cassettes. Folks could post info on demo cassettes they've come across or have in their collections, sharing info, J card photos and other details related to the demo. There are so many out there and it is becoming more and more of an interest to many of us collectors. I know, I have tons of demos and there are still thousands out there I would love to know about. I certainly think it would be interesting to hear from others and see what they have in their collections.........give that one some thought?

• 2 years later...
On 2/4/2016 at 6:29 PM, whiplash1972 said:

Late in 2015, while surfing the main site, I noticed that there are quite a few "classic" bands/artists not included here at HH. I approached Dan with a listing of artists who I thought should at the very least be considered for inclusion on HH. What we need now is your feedback. Do you feel strongly that any of the following should be included on HH? And on the opposite side of the fence, are there any that you feel absolutely should NOT be included? Have other suggestions? Throw 'em out there!

Anywho, enough talkie talkie.... here are the groups/artists:

Pink Floyd
Cream
Jimi Hendrix
Amboy Dukes
Blind Faith
Mountain
Trapeze
The Who
Barclay James Harvest
Peter Frampton
Joe Walsh
The Edgar Winter Group
Heavy Metal Kids
Black Sheep (Lou Gramm's first band)
Mama's Pride
Boxer (UK band)
Phoenix
Kenny Loggins

I personally feel that Jimi Hendrix, Peter Frampton and Pink Floyd should be included for sure, and we should maybe do something with Kenny Loggins similar to what you see done with Cher on the main site, where we would include only his 80s output that fits on HH...

Thoughts? Suggestions? Fire away.

Mike

Sorry I'm resurrecting an old thread but I searched for Peter Frampton to see people's opinions. I've recently gotten into him and his 80s stuff definitely is HH material but certainly not his early stuff with Humble Pie and The Herd. I've added a couple of his CDs to test the waters and will add the rest if they're sucessful.

My thoughts on the bands:

Pink Floyd: The only Pink Floyd song I can stomach is Another Brick In The Wall (even if I hate the backing vocals) so I have no real opinion.

Cream: A bit too psychedelic for my taste but they have a couple of good songs. If they're added, Eric Clapton's Derek and the Dominoes should be added too.

Jimi Hendrix: A bit too old in my opinion.

Trapeze: Possibly, but only because of Glenn Hughes.

The Who: I detest The Who so a definite no from me.

What about The Eagles? They seem worthy to me.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

How about Kid Rock? We have plenty of Southern Rock acts here, and most of his stuff would qualify as Southern rock (well, Southern "sounding" since he's from Michigan). Maybe his rap-rock stuff wouldnt qualify (and definitely not his early rap albums), but everything from Self-titled on up would fit in well.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a massive fan of Kid Rock but personally I do not think he belongs here. His very early stuff (the only stuff of his I do not like) is 100% rap and has no place here. His second phase was rap/rock, and once again it has no place here. Third phase, for the most part is a mish mash of hard rock and southern rock, and would fit here IF it was his sole output. And finally you have phase four which to me sits more in the country side of things rather than southern rock and I am not convinced that belongs here either.

Going back to the list posted a little while ago, I think Amboy Dukes defo belongs here purely based on the fact Ted Nugent was a member, and it has been said before that some stuff that would not be considered normally gets a pass due to one or more of the members being from a band that does make the cut here. I mean Vertex in all reality has no place here, but Stephen Pearcy being the frontman gives it a pass.